ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
007M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '007 ///M Coupe & Boxster S

Lightbulb Tires?

Hey everybody,

I'm looking for some new tires for the new wheels I just got. I'm looking for something for day use, non-track driving. Something that will handle decent in the rain and last a decent amount of time.

Thanks in advance!

GT
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
schobyb
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster; 2012 Cayenne

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
I've been very happy with Michelin Pilot Super Sports, a great all-around tire.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #3
schobyb
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster; 2012 Cayenne

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
You can also check out tirerack.com, they have video comparison reviews of several tire categories.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
007M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '007 ///M Coupe & Boxster S

Awesome! Thanks schobydo . I've looked at tirerack and there are some great reviews there!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Try out the Nankang Noble Sport NS-20 tires. I'm dead serious.

I purchased them as I just needed a set to last me a couple months until the Spring when I put on my new wheels/tires. I was honestly shocked how good they were, I couldn't tell a bit of difference between them and the high priced Michelins/Contis I usually buy. Great in the rain, little snow, and just wonderful in the dry. I think they cost about 1/3 what Michelin Pilot Sports do. If you're just looking for a street tire, I'd highly recommend the Nankangs. I'll be getting another set of them when the time comes, I was that impressed. You can find them on DiscountTire, they even make a 285/30/19 size which is what I'll be going with in the rear the next time around.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC

I purchased them as I just needed a set to last me a couple months until the Spring when I put on my new wheels/tires. I was honestly shocked how good they were, I couldn't tell a bit of difference between them and the high priced Michelins/Contis I usually buy. Great in the rain, little snow, and just wonderful in the dry. I think they cost about 1/3 what Michelin Pilot Sports do. If you're just looking for a street tire, I'd highly recommend the Nankangs. I'll be getting another set of them when the time comes, I was that impressed. You can find them on DiscountTire, they even make a 285/30/19 size which is what I'll be going with in the rear the next time around.
How many miles do you have on your set of tires? Curious as some tires drop off quickly at some mileage/wear levels.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:51 AM   #7
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
How many miles do you have on your set of tires? Curious as some tires drop off quickly at some mileage/wear levels.
Very good question/point, that I can't answer. I just sold them with my stock wheels and I only had around 1500 miles on the set. They could surely drop off later for all I know, but my initial impressions were great. They still looked brand new when I pulled them off, so I think they will wear well. I'll definitely find out for sure when I get them for my next set.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Very good question/point, that I can't answer. I just sold them with my stock wheels and I only had around 1500 miles on the set. They could surely drop off later for all I know, but my initial impressions were great. They still looked brand new when I pulled them off, so I think they will wear well. I'll definitely find out for sure when I get them for my next set.
Thanks for updating this. The price point is good, maybe you could do a 3k/5k update. If these have good performance with a few miles on them, this becomes an even more attractive option.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post

I have had these on my supercharged 3 litre for 2 Summer seasons now with no regrets.
I bought them originally because of the lower price point and from reading reviews from the import crowd.
Wear is good so far with no abnormal shoulder wear or excessive tread wear.
I would definitely buy these again if the price is right.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2015, 09:39 PM   #10
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
I have had these on my supercharged 3 litre for 2 Summer seasons now with no regrets.
I bought them originally because of the lower price point and from reading reviews from the import crowd.
Wear is good so far with no abnormal shoulder wear or excessive tread wear.
I would definitely buy these again if the price is right.
Right on!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 09:00 PM   #11
bmwzrrrr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 3.0 and 325it

If you haven't already bought, the Hankook S1 nobles are pretty good.
Appreciate 0