ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #23
AmmarYasirA
Ammar
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot

I put both of my ultimate cupholders on one side. That way my leg doesn't mess about with taller drinks or such. I usually won't drink in my car but I've been using my Roadster as a DD for the past few months and it helps to have a water bottle or an occasional coffee nearby. Plus I'm not worried too much about spills because I've had all weather mats on the car even since I've had it.
      02-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #24
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimo View Post
You must be a two-fisted drinker . . .
Truth be told....sometimes my passenger wants a drink too!

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #25
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

I just bought these based on this thread. They work great.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #26
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i E85 Roadster

What thread.....lol
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #27
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
But finally, starting with the 2014 model years, BMW has redesigned their placement to fixed cup holder slots molded into the center console area.
My 2001 E46 daily driver has two "fixed cup holder slots molded into the center console area".
But I do see your point, as the mid-2000s and up production years all seemed to have those ridiculously over-engineered and fragile pop-out-of-the-dash abominations.
Maybe sanity has finally returned.
      03-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #28
Patrick Gent
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Going back to the question of why no cupholders. From what I have read, no self-respecting European driver of any sort 20 years ago would consider driving a car while drinking any kind of liquid. That was an American thing, maybe enabled by the Interstate system where you could drive hundreds of miles on smooth, boring roads. (Think '65 Cadillac vs. '65 MGBGT.)The rinky dink holders added to BMW's was, in my opinion, the company's bandaid attempt to cater to the American market. I wonder if a 2001 3 or 5 series in Europe had any cupholders.

The fact that BMW is now putting better cupholders in their cars is a small symptom of the big trend that the ultimate driving machine is becoming the heavy, doo-dad filled luxury machine, which is what sells in the U.S.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #29
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I really don't care one bit what the Europeans think. BMW is not their target Market. When the Rubber Hit's the Road, what Country is populated by more BMW sales wise.......America. It's simple Arithmetic. The USA has the "Market" for any type of Car out there. So since America is their "Target" Market, you would "Think" that BMW would listen. And I think they do. Because the "Newer BMW's" have center of gravity cup holders....
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 04:36 PM   #30
goomanchu
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Sepang M Coupe

as a person who is hopelessly addicted to Diet mtn dew, I need cup holders in my car if it is going to be used at all in my daily life. driving to work on nice days, etc. I didn't own the car a month before I forgot to slide that damn thing in and broke the driver side one with my knee. I replaced it, and vowed I would never use it again. I ordered a set of ultimate cup holders at that time after similar advice from this forum. 2 years later - no spills, no breaks and I arrive where I am going without tweaking all over from withdrawal. whole hearted endorsement for the Ult cup holder.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #31
Ranger_Vet68
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yep, same thing here. When I first looked at the car, I asked the guy, "Why in G-D's name did they place the cup holders so high, and off to the corners. Meaning I don't care if it was made even stronger, your still going to get it to spill. He tells me, "Yeah, they work very well in my Z4 with out spilling a drop". I said "Is that correct"?? and he tells me YES. So we go back into his office and I make him a bet. I said, "OK, Let's get into your car, go to Starbucks, buy the Venti <sp> then place it in your cup holder and drive back here. If no spill, I'll pay your price. If it spills once, you drop the price 1k. He tells me sure, lets go. I told him, "Wait one moment". Before we go any where we need to document this in the contract. That's where I got him thinking BIG Time. He balked at it and then I said to him, Hey what's the issue, you never had one spill in your cup holder. Stand up, and be your damn word. So we place it in the contract. Short, as soon as we left Starbucks, and he made a left turn, half the coffee spilled. "You owe me 1k. End of story.
Appreciate 0