ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Dimple Magnetic oil/diff/tranny plugs

I've been doing some research on these. For $ 90 you can order all three from BavarianAutoSport.com Called them yesterday, all in stock. This seems like the one to have if you are a believer. In another forum seemed about 50/50 on there value. I don't want to start a debate here. I just want to know if anyone else is using them and if so, are they pulling anything out of your car ? You can watch several You Tube videos that demonstrate the strength VS others. I liked this one
Let me know
      03-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #2
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I had one for the engine oil for a year or 2. Pulled a lot of swarf out after my Vanos hub broke, but clean otherwise.
I've since replaced it with a Fumoto valve.

Had one in the diff for at least 2 years. Did 1 diff oil change since, and didn't find anything much on it.

I was looking for one for the trans, and the only one they had in that thread size was longer than stock, and I wasn't willing to risk it going too far in and getting in the whirly bits.
      03-10-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I have all three installed on my coupe and the engine plug installed on my ZHP. There's always a little something on the engine plugs after an oil change (haven't removed the trans or diff plugs yet). I don't know how beneficial they are but I have them just because I like to try to do everything I can to keep my cars in top condition. I do remember reading somewhere when I was shopping for the plugs that some of the cheap ones can lose their magnet while installed. I don't recall where I read this or know if it's true but just make sure you get a good quality plug with good reviews.
      03-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

^That would be the black ones from ECS Tuning.
The body is aluminum, which could strip or snap off, and the magnet is hammered into the end with variable manufacturing tolerance.
I had one until I read those reports, which is why I went to the Dimple plug.
Then I read some threads on people stripping their threads, and switched to the Fumoto valve.
      03-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I forgot which one I bought but I have it for both diff and oil pan. No issues.. it pulls so much shavings every time.
      03-19-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
I'm all for just having a little something extra for the health of the fluids. Risk is low ( as long as torqued to spec ) and I think for $ 90 on all three seems like extra insurance at a low cost. When your vanos hub went, may have saved your motor. Now I need to know the length of the thread of the tranny plug VS length of Dimple tranny plug, seems strange that they would be different. I believe I read that the tranny plugs are SINGLE USE, would this then also mean that the Dimples are single use. As I'm approaching 60 K miles and I have no idea if my tranny/diff fluids have ever been changed, I just want to start fresh in my recent ownership of the car. I guess since changes for the tranny/diff are every 60 K and my miles that I will be driving are so low ( less than 4 K / year, it would be quite some time till I'd be ever even seeing the plugs again, or needing to replace them.
Can anyone tell me the thread length of the OEM plugs on the tranny/diff, so I can call Dimple/Bav and get an answer to thread length prior to purchase ?
      03-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

The stock plugs are "single use" because the O-ring is glued in and not individually replaceable.
I think the Dimples all use crush washers, so the plug is reusable, but you might want to inquire about extra crush washers.
I've changed my diff oil once with the Dimple without replacing the crush washer. Doesn't leak.

Just found this thread where I was agonizing over the lengths.
Trans plug was too short, not too long.

Last edited by StickMon; 03-20-2017 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:25 PM   #8
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
OK, gotcha on the crush washer and the glued in O-ring. BMW really seems to go out of their way to keep you buying...Read the thread. I need to take some notes to keep it all straight, but I'm good with the oil/diff, but Dimple does not make the proper length for the threads we have ? I know I read someone that stated the tranny was too long, so the poster was worried about getting too close to the gears. As long as the threads went in enough to not leak ( maybe some loctite or similar) and it sat down a bit lower, can't see where that would cause problems. I have read that guys were running all three in their Z4M with no problems. I saw the 2014 post that said Pres of Dimple would be willing to custom make a batch, but I guess a group buy would probably not garner much interest huh ?
      03-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

That was me trying to remember the thread thread I started 3 years ago.
To sum up:
The stock trans plugs are 18mm.
The proposed replacement is 12mm. I was worried about stripping it by not having enough thread engagement. Probably just me being anal, but I have had the odd tragic stripping incidents over the years.
Further down the thread thread you'll see that somebody found one that's 21mm. That's the one I was afraid would get into the whirly bits.
      03-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
JJZ4MR
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Sweet, that the the real info I was needing, to make an informed decision, which is the only way I want to make them for my Baby...How did you achieve your ( 1 ) trader point ?
      03-21-2017, 07:19 PM   #11
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Bought a euro blind spot mirror from Pungo.
Unfortunately it has since failed me.
Not his fault. It was BNIB.
      03-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #12
BBZ4MC
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Sorry, I'm not clear based on the above thread: Just wondering if either of you actually bought the Dimple Trans plug, which one specifically it was, and if it has caused any problems?

These are the plugs as I have found them on Bavauto (after looking for the ones on Dimple's website that they seem to be proposing for my Z4MC):

Diff: PART #: SS M22X1.5 (doesn't have length in part number)
Oil: PART #: SS M12X1.5X12
Trans: PART #: SS M24X1.5 (doesn't have length in part number)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2018, 11:10 PM   #13
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Never went with a trans plug.
As I think is mentioned above, one I found was too short, and the other was too long.
That reminds me, need to change the fluids soon.