ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Oil overfilled?

I recently pulled my car out of winter storage. My car had its last service done at a BMW dealership last spring, before I bought it from the original owner. I checked the oil a few times last year, and nothing stood out.

Today, I came across an oil change thread and decided to precisely follow the instructions to check the oil level. The car was at normal temperature after a 15 minute regular drive. I pulled it into the garage, let it idle for at least 15 sec, turned it off, let it sit for 1 minute, and then pulled out the dip stick to clean it, FULLY inserted it, removed out and read the result. I was shocked, as it appears overfilled, by about 3/8 of an inch above the max mark.

So my questions:
1) Did I do the procedure correctly?
2) Should I immediately try to extract some oil (I think I have a dip stick oil extractor)

Last edited by ncnmra; 04-23-2013 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

It sure appears to be over filled but try again and make sure the dipstick is completely dry before you check the level AND that the car is on a level surface as this can make a big difference. If it looks like it's still too high, use your oil extractor and take out about a quart. Then try the procedure all over again.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

That's not way overfilled, not even a quart. Shouldn't be that way, but you're fine.
      04-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I used my dip stick extractor and pulled some out and I'm just at the MAX mark now with the engine relatively "cold". I will run the test again and make sure I'm within the marks after the engine & oil have warmed up properly.

Last edited by ncnmra; 04-23-2013 at 11:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
quick bump here

Recently had my indy do an oil change. I checked the oil when I got it home after a long drive (car was fully warmed, and I adhered to proper instructions, idle and then wait 1 minute). I checked the level at 1, 2, and 3 min intervals and the oil came to this level in the pic below, in all 3 scenarios. I did this 2 separate days just to make sure, results were the same.

I asked my Indy what he thought and he said he put 6L in just like all S54's take. I told him last time I changed it, it only took 5.5L to get to mid point.

A) do you think I should take 1/2L out? I think I should....

B) I have searched and searched but cannot find some threads I recalled seeing on what oil extractors via dip stick folks have used on their S54's, any suggestions on a model that will def work?

thanks all.
Attached Images

09-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I researched this issue to death. In my case it was overfilled by about 1.5L, likely because the ass hats at the dealership put in 7L like the regular Z4s (I actually confirmed this, as it was printed in the invoice).

After panicking based on all the doomsayers online, I read up, sent oil for analysis and talked to a BMW Indy that actually races his BMWs. The oil analysis came back super clean, and basically if overfilling it was that big a problem, you'd see the streets littered with S54 engines.

My dip stick was about at the same level as yours, and that was about 1.5L overfilled. Even after taking it to my Indy who did my inspection 2 with valve adjustment, who I trust completely, and checking after getting home, it is showing slightly over the full mark (and I'm sure he didn't "overfill" it).

If it makes you sleep better, you can pull some out. I can take a pic of the oil extractor I used, it is simple and very effective. (It is a large round jug with a vacuum pump). Can't remember the name right now.

Long story short, a lot of the panic online is hyperbole based on some general statement from BMW. Yes, if you overfill it by 6L, you'll have issues, but in my opinion, the amount you have shown is not excessive.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Another reason to do the oil change yourself. If your dealer or indy didn't return 0.5L of oil to you during an oil change, that 0.5L is most likely in your engine.

I've used the Mityvac (can't remembered the exact model) extractor for the last 4 years and likes it a lot. But if you don't want to do oil changes yourself and just want to extract a tiny bit out and also planning on taking oil samples for analysis in the future, get the blackstone pump => http://www.blackstone-labs.com/vacuum-pump.php

Last edited by XMetal; 09-28-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
wonton180
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

gtmc: I had the same oil level you are showing after my indy did an oil service. I took it back, they verified it, and sucked some out. he also said "sorry" and "thanks for bringing it to my attention". The invoice showed 7L too as billed.

Some indy shops might get pissy about what you are showing, others will be happy you bring it to their attention. I was happy they were concerned about a customer's view of their work. your call!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
ncn, X, wonton, this is all very helpful. just the color I was looking for. Thank you.

The Blackstone pump is exactly what I am looking for, and it will give me a good nudge to start getting my oil analyzed. Done, will order one.

Just checked my invoice, indeed it also shows 6L. no doubt they put 6L in there as that's also what they told me they did. Unfortunately for me, He is an hour away from me and works shorter hours than I do, so I can't just pop in there without taking time off from work. So I will extract some out myself, will let you know how much it took to get to halfway mark (expecting 1/2L will do the job).

Thanks again
      09-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
FYI...the Blackstone pump, when used with the sampling kit will only draw out 3oz or so at a time. Unless you can find a larger bottle to use with the pump, it might be a bit tedious if you have to draw out more than half a liter or so.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Yea I was actually thinking the same thing this morning.

I suppose if it means an extra 15 minutes using the blackstone version instead of buying yet another one, it wont kill me if its a rare occasion. Object is to never have to extract again anyway because of an overfill - only to send in a sample for analysis. I also picked up 6-er of pre paid analysis....

Killing me right now, it is a perfect day here in the northeast for a drive, 70 and not a cloud in the sky. I'm afraid to drive it anymore than I already have until I take care of this.
      09-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Don't be afraid to drive it. But you should be able to pick up one of these at a parts store. This is what I used, it works awesome.

http://hydroturf.com/images/oil01.jpg

I use it for my boat and lawn mower, does the job quick and clean.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #13
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
Yea I was actually thinking the same thing this morning.

I suppose if it means an extra 15 minutes using the blackstone version instead of buying yet another one, it wont kill me if its a rare occasion. Object is to never have to extract again anyway because of an overfill - only to send in a sample for analysis. I also picked up 6-er of pre paid analysis....

Killing me right now, it is a perfect day here in the northeast for a drive, 70 and not a cloud in the sky. I'm afraid to drive it anymore than I already have until I take care of this.
Speaking of black stone just took a sample this weekend and plan to send tomorrow. Fingers crossed my motor isn't going to blow up anytime soon.
      10-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Please let us know how much you have to extract. Mine showed almost the exact same, and it took 1.5L to get it down.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
Please let us know how much you have to extract. Mine showed almost the exact same, and it took 1.5L to get it down.
I def will. Still waiting on the blackstone kit. hope to have it done Saturday
      10-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #16
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My stealership used to regularly put 7L into my car during the "free" services. Kept pointing out the error to my SA to no avail. Nimrods were clueless. Now my indy did its first change and used 7L too. I straightened him out - apparently he wasn't even aware the S54 is only ~6L capacity. Now he does. At least he gave a sh!t when pointed out to him, unlike the stealership knucklers.
      10-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #17
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
finally getting a chance to pull some oil out in the AM with the blackstone kit. Sort of a stupid question here, but the instructions don't mention a safe temp to do this at.

how hot is too hot for the engine oil, to do this safely?
      10-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #18
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

If you're just pulling out to lower level, it doesn't need to be hot. Make sure to double check level after you've reach operating temp though.

If you're sending a sample to Blackstone, I'd have it at normal operating temperature.

/// Vibra-Technics motor mounts /// Autosolutions SSK /// RE Tranny mounts /// Aero Turbine Exhaust /// Beisan Vanos upgrades /// SDW rtabs /// Fortune Auto 500
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I'll be doing that next week.
I have a bottle of Aloe Vera gel at the ready.
      10-12-2013, 12:20 AM   #20
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Does everyone understand that the oil sold as a "litre" bottle of oil actually only contains 954 ml of oil... (At least here in Canada... and likely the same in USA as our oil comes from same manufacturer). The 46 ml of oil missing from the bottle times 7 gives 320 ml of oil. So filling it with 7"litre" bottles means that you actually filled it with 6.68 liters of oil. Deduct the slight amount remaining in the bottle and the amount absorbed by filter paper...... Well you get the idea...
      10-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
gtMc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Removed 12 blackstone sample bottles of oil. each bottle is 3 ounces, so call it 36 ounces removed. I took the first 5 bottles out when the oil was cold, and the remaining 7 bottles out when the oil was full temp, and was very careful not to lose any oil with the syphon tube draining anywhere except back into the dipstick tube.

This brought the oil level down from the picture I posted above, to the level shown here, just below the max fill mark.

So, all in all, I had to remove just over 1 full qt of oil.
Attached Images

10-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #22
wonton180
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

yep! I feel better for you already.
Appreciate 0