ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Gregoryse
Private
Malta
Rep
Drives: wiesmannGT5

CAE shifter for the z4?

Hi everyone,

I own a ess supercharged z4m coupe. It's going to be a track car and will be driven as it's supposed to.

From time to time I'm having problems with gears. Especially at high RPM coming out of second gear trying to put it in third. Sometimes the problem occurs 4th to fifth as well. I have installed vibratechnics motorsport engine mounts and rogue engineering tranny mounts without any major results.

I've heard a lot of good comments about this company http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/index....c55540652eadc0

The CAE Ultra shifter seems like a quality product, after watching youtube videos and reviews about it.

Seen it installed on many models now, but what do you think of it installed in a z4m coupe? I don't think I have to modify the center panel too much, and a alcantara cover for it should be a easy fix...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryse View Post
Hi everyone,

I own a ess supercharged z4m coupe. It's going to be a track car and will be driven as it's supposed to.

From time to time I'm having problems with gears. Especially at high RPM coming out of second gear trying to put it in third. Sometimes the problem occurs 4th to fifth as well. I have installed vibratechnics motorsport engine mounts and rogue engineering tranny mounts without any major results.

I've heard a lot of good comments about this company http://www.shop.cae-racing.de/index....c55540652eadc0

The CAE Ultra shifter seems like a quality product, after watching youtube videos and reviews about it.

Seen it installed on many models now, but what do you think of it installed in a z4m coupe? I don't think I have to modify the center panel too much, and a alcantara cover for it should be a easy fix...
I think stiffer trans mounts would help. I had that issue when heel/toe'ng from 4th to 3rd under high revs. It wouldn't stay in 3rd and I'd end up neutral revving into the turn. Swapping the oe soft bushings to a stiffer set helped big time for me.

But to answer your question, never seen one installed in a Z4, only E36 M3 and they look pretty awesome. I believe AKG makes their version which is a bit cheaper too.
      10-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
onthe3rdday
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I think stiffer trans mounts would help. I had that issue when heel/toe'ng from 4th to 3rd under high revs. It wouldn't stay in 3rd and I'd end up neutral revving into the turn. Swapping the oe soft bushings to a stiffer set helped big time for me.

But to answer your question, never seen one installed in a Z4, only E36 M3 and they look pretty awesome. I believe AKG makes their version which is a bit cheaper too.
What bushing setup did you go with. I'm considering a stiffer tranny mount to deal with my "finding 3rd" under load issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthe3rdday View Post
What bushing setup did you go with. I'm considering a stiffer tranny mount to deal with my "finding 3rd" under load issue.
Rogue Engineering
      05-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Did you ever get this CAE shifter installed?

If you did I would love to see some pics of the install.

Not many out there with this shifter in a Z4 platform.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

This should give you an idea.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339357
      05-23-2017, 05:51 PM   #7
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Thanks but I have already posted in that thread over a week ago and I specifically was interested in seeing some pictures of the CAE shifter with the factory boot installed or at least how it can be modified to fit without leaving the entire shift boot cover off.

The OP in that thread hasn't finished off the trim work and this is what is holding me back on pulling the trigger on this amazing shifter as I can order one for a killer price. Leaving the boot off entirely is a deal breaker for me as the interior still needs to look finished and not too racecar.

At the moment I have shelved this project because I don't think it can be done in our cars without hacking up the interior too much, a real shame as it's probably one the best shifter on the market right now.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0