ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-31-2023, 07:14 PM   #1
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Another Header Thread

I have a 2005 Z4 with FI from Vortech. Exhaust is stock and so I am looking to replace the headers to improve flow and HP. I think I have settled on buying these from racing dynamics. Because this is a street car, I will need to pair these headers with some high flow cats. Anyone have recommendations they have had success with? https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+08+54+365.html
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 07:34 PM   #2
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoJax View Post
I have a 2005 Z4 with FI from Vortech. Exhaust is stock and so I am looking to replace the headers to improve flow and HP. I think I have settled on buying these from racing dynamics. Because this is a street car, I will need to pair these headers with some high flow cats. Anyone have recommendations they have had success with? https://www.racdyn-usa.com/PROD/130+08+54+365.html
I have racing dynamics headers, went the extra mile had them ceramic coated with full super sprint post headers. As another forum member advised when I asked the stock O2s juuuuust fit by running the wires down along the firewall and under the heat shielding.

Last edited by Piper1; 08-31-2023 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 07:53 PM   #3
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
I have racing dynamics headers, went the extra mile had them ceramic coated with full super sprint post headers. As another forum member advised when I asked the stock O2s juuuuust fit by running the wires down along the firewall and under the heat shielding.
Thanks. So did you replace the cats or just delete them? I am thinking I will need to pair the headers with some high flow cats but want to ensure I have something that will definitely fit.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:00 PM   #4
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. So did you replace the cats or just delete them? I am thinking I will need to pair the headers with some high flow cats but want to ensure I have something that will definitely fit.
In the pic the first section that attaches to the headers is the cat section from supersprint, they make both straight pipe section or with their cats. Unless you code out the post O2s you’d have to go with something of this route if going with catless headers if there’s emissions where you’re at that might be an issue coding them out or dealing with a cel. No codes thrown with plugging in the O2s in the supersprint catted section.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:20 PM   #5
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
In the pic the first section that attaches to the headers is the cat section from supersprint, they make both straight pipe section or with their cats. Unless you code out the post O2s you’d have to go with something of this route if going with catless headers if there’s emissions where you’re at that might be an issue coding them out or dealing with a cel. No codes thrown with plugging in the O2s in the supersprint catted section.
Yeah I am looking to do something a bit cheaper. The supersprint you are talking about is ~$3000. I'd like to find some high flow cats and just weld them inline.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 08:12 AM   #6
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Found these: https://privatelabelmfg.com/collecti...tic-converters

Might give them a shot with the racing dynamics headers and a magnaflow muffler.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 10:50 AM   #7
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

You will want to consider metallic cats over ceramic, being FI.

Don't know what the internals are on the cats you posted.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 11:03 AM   #8
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Steeler. Any other recommendations you might have for high flow CATS that won't break the bank? Still putting kids through college

Also, off topic, but what did you use for your intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 11:49 AM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Take a look around this site.

https://www.siliconeintakes.com/fron...t-intercooler/

I ended up with magnaflow section 2 meant for an N52 I believe (bit of fab work required to rotate flanges at the header collectors) and magnaflow metallic cats in the end and 3" supersprint system back from there.

I learned the hard way about ceramic cats with FI
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2023, 06:44 PM   #10
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oddly enough I’ve been debating about an intercooler too
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 10:22 AM   #11
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Oddly enough I’ve been debating about an intercooler too
I'm researching these but will probably hold off for a bit. Between the new tune, probably a bad throwout bearing and now headers, I think I have spent enough.

I did place the order for the Racing Dynamics headers. Those guys were great to work with. They emailed me back and forth immediately, answering all my questions and then shipped them right out. Should be here tomorrow and I am going to see if I can get installed on Tuesday and then finish the tune.

For now I will go catless. I may add CATs in the location of the small muffler later on when I get the muffler done but, one thing at a time.
Appreciate 1
Piper1569.50
      09-02-2023, 11:28 AM   #12
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm researching these but will probably hold off for a bit. Between the new tune, probably a bad throwout bearing and now headers, I think I have spent enough.

I did place the order for the Racing Dynamics headers. Those guys were great to work with. They emailed me back and forth immediately, answering all my questions and then shipped them right out. Should be here tomorrow and I am going to see if I can get installed on Tuesday and then finish the tune.

For now I will go catless. I may add CATs in the location of the small muffler later on when I get the muffler done but, one thing at a time.
Prior to install just double check fitting comparing to stock. I’m sure my issue was a total fluke but they sent wrong/mis made the rear header. I sent them both headers originally sent and stock headers and they realized their flub and sent correct ones that fit beautifully. So glad I checked before having them sent for coating so just check when they arrive. My entire exhaust I had picked up in parts as they went on sale saving 1k all said and done gathering over the course of 6-8months or so when Turner would do sales on and off. Got the headers first when they were on sale and installed mounted them right up to the stock exhaust post headers until all of the super sprint sections came in.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2023, 03:00 PM   #13
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Steeler. Any other recommendations you might have for high flow CATS that won't break the bank? Still putting kids through college

Also, off topic, but what did you use for your intercooler?
WA intercooler packaging is tight for our platform. But is doable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      09-03-2023, 04:57 PM   #14
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
WA intercooler packaging is tight for our platform. But is doable.
Very nice! Just got these today. Quick shipment from Virginia!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2023, 04:49 PM   #15
DiscoJax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got the headers in and new tune with the RS4 MAF. With the Vorterch supercharger, I've realized some nice power gains and it sounds great when I open up! Still working through a rich warm idle with the tuner.

Still have the stock exhaust. I will likely not swap that out until sometime next year. No real need though because it really sounds nice as is.

The Racing Dynamics headers are really nice and well designed. I typically do my own work but I splurged and had an Indie shop install them. They were were pretty impressed with the support and the relative ease of install.

One problem I did have was that one of the headers tended to be 1/4 in shorter than expected. Racing Dynamics sent me a full new set to make up for the problem but we fixed it just by adding a spacer. So I have an additional NIB set. PM me if you are interested.

I'll upload some a video soon with the sound.
Appreciate 0