ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-11-2010, 12:59 AM   #23
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
If I ever sell you my car you can do just that.

Aluminum is my least favorite. The carbon leather is cool, but in a black interior there is way too much black. This was the first car I sat in with the wood and there is no way I would change it. It may not be for everyone and is probably not the most sporty look. I don't think pictures do the wood justice. It looks much better in person.
+1

Before I saw my car in person, I thought for sure I would want to change the wood out or wrap it in carbon. No way in hell I'll do it now, the interior is just gorgeous with it in it and I wouldn't have it any other way.
      05-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #24
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

FWIW, the wood trim panels are actually the second most expensive trim option according to realoem. The carbon leather trim is the most expensive, and aluminum is cheapest.

However, I personally like the contrast of aluminum with a black interior. Carbon leather looks nice and would probably be my second choice, especially with extended leather, but black leather w/ black leather trim just feels like SO MUCH BLACK. I had dismissed the wood as a viable option -- I could have lived with a darker wood grain, but the walnut seemed too orange, but I admit I have yet see it in person. It probably doesn't scratch as easily as the aluminum either.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 12:08 AM   #25
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
And the reasons you just listed are the reason why I find the 911 the most rewarding car to drive once youve mastered the layout of it. Plus once you do, the only place youll be seeing cars is in your rear mirror.
Walter Rohl raced a stock GT3 RS at the 24 hours of the ring this year, and came in 3rd in SP7 class, and 22nd overall...i doubt there is a single other car other car out there that could even finish. They are born and bred for the track.
I feel the Z4M is the best M car BMW has to offer here in the US, its a flat out amazing car that is a bit rough around the edges...which gives it a lot of character, but at the same time BMW could have put more time and effort into it to make it that much better of a car.
I also feel with the Cayman S, Porsche could at least strap on the 3.8 ltr Carrera/S tuned engine and put the final touch on the car...but then no car, maybe not even the GT3 could touch.
The GT3 is the only 911 I'd consider in the current lineup, everything else is targeted at the gold chain brigade. At about twice the list price of the Z4M, it isn't a competitor, more pushing close to Ferrari territory, definitely has stiff competition from the R8 V10 and GT-R, or even the Corvette ZR1 for that matter.

I'm sure if the Z4M had been refined more away from it's parts bin roots, it's list price would probably have been $10K to $20K higher due to the limited volume. I'm not sure there would have been any significant benefit and more refinement may actually be a detriment. You just have to look at the evolution between the E39 and E60 M5 to see how refinement and capability triumphed over rawness and fun in a sports sedan.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #26
dfine
Z
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Z4

Nice ///M! Congrats!
      05-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #27
jzimmy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435is

Garage List
2008 Z4 3.0si  [4.00]
2010 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:

Aluminum is my least favorite. The carbon leather is cool, but in a black interior there is way too much black. This was the first car I sat in with the wood and there is no way I would change it. It may not be for everyone and is probably not the most sporty look. I don't think pictures do the wood justice. It looks much better in person.
Just thought I'd chime in here. I work with Chris at Kelly BMW and we both very much appreciate your business. You got a great car and I hope you enjoyed your drive home in it. I had a roadster version and I am in withdraw now that I had to turn it in off lease. I'm building a track car out of a 135 coupe now...but I sure do miss that Z!

Regardless, i hope you enjoy many many miles in it and thanks again for coming to see us!!!

-John
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 01:14 AM   #28
TestShoot
I1, I won
United_States
Rep
Drives: E71 M, E60 535i

You know what, this thread has pretty much sealed the deal for me. I lusted after a Z4MC, but maybe it was my nostalgia for my old 2500m TVR passion, and even the 8C Competizione, but I could never put my finger on it. The first time I saw one I was driving the Gallardo SE up from San Diego and an Interlagos rolled up alongside me. The driver seemed miserable in traffic, I was in the carpool lane driving my dad and we drooled over his car. I remember friends telling me that the car did not live up to the M badge. Maybe I'll get a Z4MR as a daily beater so I am not killing my 7'er, but I am now going to look for a Cayman as a Targa and La Carrera toy.

Edit: though you can buy a TON of upgrades for the price difference, so a mod'd M vs a stock Cayman S... hmmm...

Last edited by TestShoot; 09-06-2010 at 03:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 02:19 AM   #29
Samjam927
The One And Only
Rep
Drives: 2006 TiAg ///M Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4M Roadster  [10.00]
2003 Z4  [5.00]
Nice Moupe!!!
      09-06-2010, 03:44 AM   #30
doozyj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:

Also thought I would chime in here too. When I bought my Z4M, one of my first things to do on my Z4M "to do" list was change out the Madeira wood or have it professionally painted piano black. After a few days of getting to know my M and appreciating how gorgeous the wood is and how much it makes the interior look sooo classy and prestigous (not to mention the warmth it gives the cabin) there is no way in hell I would ever change it out. The looks of it in person of how immaculate and glossy it looks can never be presented correctly in pics.
      09-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #31
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

Welcome, and congrats! I bought mine new in 06 and am still smiling. I even smiled through the huge discounts offered 6 months after I bought mine My coupe just hit 40k the other day, and I love it as much or more than the day I bought it. enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 09:04 AM   #32
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I too think the wood looks much better in person than it does in pictures. I went to test drive a Z4 M with the wood trim and went into it assuming I would hate the look of it. But when I actually saw it in person it looked pretty good. I still ended up getting carbon leather in my car as it was my first choice (I like the sportier look of it) but do I think wood gets an unjustified bad wrap.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 07:39 PM   #33
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Congrats to the OP. One more chance to finally see another Z4M on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
There is your problem - the throttle is very linear when sport mode is off, very non-linear when it is on.
That is why I often refer to 'Sport' mode as 'Clutch Smoke' mode. Veeeeeeery touchy........but fun.

I must be in the minority that actually does not want extended leather. I had the option but turned it down for Navi. I'm still interested to see how the extended leather holds up over time.
      12-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #34
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

No extended leather!
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #35
Endless619
DHS
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:

Wood trim is considered "old fashion" to some people. You guys are right you either like it or hate it.

I like all 4 trims equally. I have the brushed alum. trim and its nice. I saw the other 3 in person and would be happy with any or all.

Nice car!!!

Last edited by Endless619; 12-26-2010 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 05:14 PM   #36
ChicagoHokie
Rep
Drives: every day ;-)

Congrats on an awesome car!
2005 Mazda 3 Hatch (wife's car)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #37
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Very nice! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #38
jnkhan82
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

Congrads on the car. I'm a big fan of the coupe!

Wish you many fun years! and you can always knock on wood for good ',)
      12-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #39
whitejdm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
FWIW, the wood trim panels are actually the second most expensive trim option according to realoem. The carbon leather trim is the most expensive, and aluminum is cheapest.

However, I personally like the contrast of aluminum with a black interior. Carbon leather looks nice and would probably be my second choice, especially with extended leather, but black leather w/ black leather trim just feels like SO MUCH BLACK. I had dismissed the wood as a viable option -- I could have lived with a darker wood grain, but the walnut seemed too orange, but I admit I have yet see it in person. It probably doesn't scratch as easily as the aluminum either.

I think the wood gives the car an old school British roadster look. and I agree all the carbon trimmed cars just look WAY to dark inside with nothing to set the interior off.
A note on the "boxster/cayman S" vs "z4m" discussion, after having driven both I think Richard Hammond of Top Gear summed it up best.
"The Porsche flatters your ego, but the BMW steals your heart"
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #40
EMP07
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

^ "The Porsche flatters your ego, but the BMW steals your heart"

I like that.
Appreciate 0