ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-13-2016, 01:19 PM   #1
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Time to replace the Z4 M Roadster...

...as my primary car.

I just placed an order for a 2016 M4! My wife and I will be doing Euro Delivery on May 13.

My build:
  • M4 Coupe
  • Sakhir Orange Metallic
  • Black Full Merino Leather
  • Carbon Fiber Interior Trim
  • Executive Package
  • Lighting Package
  • Driver Assistance Plus Package
  • DCT
  • 19" Black Alloy Wheels Style 437 M
  • Adaptive M Suspension
  • Power Rear Sunshade

We'll be doing a full three week European Tour which will include six days in Munich with general sightseeing and lots of BMW-related activities, three nights in the Italian Dolomites/Alps, two nights in the Swiss Alps, the Porsche Museum and Mercedes Classic Museum in Stuttgart, a day at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, and track days at both Circuit Park Zandvoort and Spa Francorchamps. This will all be detailed in the M3/M4 forums here on Bimmerpost and in the European Delivery forum on Bimmerfest.

The current plan is to keep the M Roadster. I think that this car is the last true example of a pure BMW sports car: Classic roadster, long hood, and a big, powerful, naturally aspirated, inline-6. They're never going to make them like this again and I truly never want to let go of this car.

That said, I've driven the M4 extensively, and this is the new breed of sports car. The first time was a test drive on windy, twisty back roads, with two M4s, one manual, and one with the DCT. We drove them back-to-back, manual first, then the DCT. I loved it with the manual transmission. Except for the first used car I bought, every car since then has been a manual. I love driving a manual, but the DCT blew me away.

I also had the opportunity to drive the M4 on a track a couple of times. The first time was a one-day experience at the BMW Performance Center West at Thermal, CA They invited the San Diego Chapter of the BMW CCA out for a day to check out their new facility. One hundred of us got to drive M3s, M4s, M5s, and M6s in several different exercises, including skidpad, autocross, drag strip, relay race, and lead/follow on the track. After that came ride-alongs with the instructors. (This event sold out in 2 days so another event was added a week later with another 100 people and also sold out.)

A couple of weeks later, my wife and I attended the M Driving School at the Performance Center East in South Carolina. Two days of track/classroom sessions with M3, M4s, and M5s, all with the DCT. This was a spectacular experience, and if I thought the M4 with DCT was great on the street, it's phenomenal on the track! (I had top lap time for the timed track session and the autocross, my wife came in second in both!) The M4 was designed for the DCT and this is why I'm going with the DCT.

I love my Z4 M Roadster, but I'm really excited about the M4! All of my track time in the last five years has been in my wife's 335is Coupe, which we share at the track. Now I'll be able to track my own car! A few weeks after we take re-delivery of the car, I'll be headed up to the BMW CCA Oktoerfest in Monterey where I'll have 2-3 track days at Laguna Seca. Can't wait for all of it!

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #2
VindieselJetta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4m

What an amazing trip! Enjoy it in good health!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 02:38 PM   #3
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

SO awesome! Safe travels and enjoy immensely!
      02-13-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Congrats! Great choice and specs. I am building an m3 myslef right now in very simular specs. I think i want to order individual though in blue velvet with black interior. The coupe is going to be a toy. I want a sports car with room for my daughter and next child.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #5
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
SO awesome! Safe travels and enjoy immensely!
I see what you did there! (Sakhir Orange )

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
Congrats! Great choice and specs. I am building an m3 myslef right now in very simular specs. I think i want to order individual though in blue velvet with black interior. The coupe is going to be a toy. I want a sports car with room for my daughter and next child.
Thanks!

I really wanted to get the Sakhir Orange or blue contrasting stitching, but that's another ~$2300 over and above the Executive Package and the Black Full Merino Leather. Decided on the LED lights instead and I'll code them to the Euro spec so that they will work they way they were designed to!

I hope you're aware that M4 and especially M3 allocations have been very hard to get this year (YMMV in Canada). Plan well ahead!

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post

I hope you're aware that M4 and especially M3 allocations have been very hard to get this year (YMMV in Canada). Plan well ahead!
I'm working on an M3 ED and am in contact with a few dealers. If you liked your experience, I'd appreciate a PM with your CA and deal.

Thanks!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #8
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I'm working on an M3 ED and am in contact with a few dealers. If you liked your experience, I'd appreciate a PM with your CA and deal.

Thanks!
No problem, PM sent!

Appreciate 1
      02-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Congrats

Congrats.
That's going to be a fun car. Love the color, and you know blue and orange are complementary colors.

Salty
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 1