ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #1
JayyLebron
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 ZCP M3 14 Audi R8 V10

Cooling problems, of course...

Long story but I'm in need of help!...So I was recently hit with the common cooling issues of the N52 water pump/ thermostat combo. Got an engine light last week code read that the thermostat was stuck. Figured I would just order the whole refresh kit, swap it all out and call it a day. While waiting for the kit, I drive roughly 15 or so miles to work everyday, on the way back one day going maybe 70-80ish the whole way, I overheated. Slowed it down, was fine for the day. Fast forward to when I get the kit, I swapped out the pump and thermostat, pretty straight forward and simple change, went to do the self-bleed procedure...and nothing happened...tried a slightly more unconventional way to bleed the system, and immediate overheat upon the car hitting operating temperature. Reinstalled all the old parts, tried the self bleed again, and nothing...called my brother whom owns the same exact car to try to do the self bleed on his, and nothing. I finally go to an indy shop and they tell me that the self bleeding procedure is basically just a myth, and that they have to hook their super computer up to it so that it can work it's magic and bleed the system. I'm essentially all out of ideas, did all the googling I could and haven't seen anything about the bleed procedure not ever working, so maybe this is a dumb question but are they blowing smoke up my ass or is that what I'm going to have to do. Any help is very much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

When you say self-bleed you mean one of these?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...ing_System.htm

http://wiki.bavariantechnic.com/inde...leed_Procedure
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #3
JayyLebron
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Yes, that's exactly what I mean, neither my car nor the other car would do it, the other cars cooling system being perfectly fine and just used as reference.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
eHelmholtz
TARDIS
Rep
Drives: Z4

Do you mean the technique to start the electric water pump?

I changed my water pump and thermostat as in this thread. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284903

The old water pump would not turn on with the following technique but the new one did. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289922
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
JayyLebron
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eHelmholtz View Post
Do you mean the technique to start the electric water pump?

I changed my water pump and thermostat as in this thread. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284903

The old water pump would not turn on with the following technique but the new one did. http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289922
Yes, neither of my pumps do it, on top of me having an indy shop telling me that it's not even a real thing.. I know I can get bad parts from the store and all, but it's just a bit odd to have my original pump that was fine, my new pump, that's new, and the other car not be able to turn on the pump..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

The self bleed procedure is real-- used it several times on my cars.

Sounds like a dishwasher is starting up under the hood.
      08-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
JayyLebron
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karacticus View Post
The self bleed procedure is real-- used it several times on my cars.

Sounds like a dishwasher is starting up under the hood.
See and that's what I've seen in all the videos and such, I just can't get it to work. But both of my pumps being bad as well as the other cars just seems pretty unlikely... so would the verdict be that the indy shop is blowing smoke up my bum or what?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
SgtFaceplant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 Coupe  [7.00]
My pump was quiet and we did it several times thinking it wasn't working. Here is a link to my experience: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...15&postcount=5
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 01:11 AM   #9
JayyLebron
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtFaceplant View Post
My pump was quiet and we did it several times thinking it wasn't working. Here is a link to my experience: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...15&postcount=5
Should've updated this, but I ended up taking it my local BMW indy shop, they couldn't find the problem, and preemptively changed the fuse, as a "just in case" ended up fixing the entire issue.The pump is definitely pretty quiet. I still had the splash guard off so I went down and grabbed it and felt it operating, the relief was amazing!

As for your experience, I know the feeling trying to limp home. Luckily I had a friend with a spare car to lend me for the time being. Glad you got it all fixed!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
SgtFaceplant
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4 Coupe  [7.00]
Glad you got it sorted. Nothing will make you enter brown town faster than cooling issues.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayyLebron View Post
Should've updated this, but I ended up taking it my local BMW indy shop, they couldn't find the problem, and preemptively changed the fuse, as a "just in case" ended up fixing the entire issue.The pump is definitely pretty quiet. I still had the splash guard off so I went down and grabbed it and felt it operating, the relief was amazing!

As for your experience, I know the feeling trying to limp home. Luckily I had a friend with a spare car to lend me for the time being. Glad you got it all fixed!
On blade style fuses if the link is blown in the viewing port on the top you can generally count on the fuse being open. What you can't always count on is the link in the viewing port looking good and the fuse being good. Sometimes the fuse will open rapidly at the point where the fusible section meets the spade plug leg and you can see it. Should always double check with an ohmeter.

Glad they finally checked and got you back on line!