ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Pierce
Lieutenant Dan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Non-existent

SMG and the Sport Package?

Hi everybody my name is Pierce this is my first post here. I've been reading various post here for a while and coundn't find an answer to my question so I figured I would register and just ask.

Anyways I been looking at Z4s and used prices. It appears to me Smg's are the most reasonable. THeres a 2-3 thousand dollar premium for manual. THere was a 2003 3.0 with 40,000 miles, sport and premium package for $14,000 at my local dealer that was just sold. Compared to a manual 3.0 with only premium for $17,000.
Anyway thats cool from what I've read from the people here that have smg they really love it and I think its pretty cool.

Here's my question correct me if I'm wrong.

Smg (in the Z4) Shifts pretty much like shit in auto mode, and very leisurely in manual mode but in in manual mode with the sport mode on, it shifts quite quickly. Which is great but don't only sport pkg equiped cars come with a sport mode button (which i think is use's bmw's ddc?) Anyways are SMG cars automaticly equiped with the sport pkg or are they just factory equiped with a sport mode button w/o sport pkg or are they just normal and shift slow w/o the sport pkg. Every SMG i've seen/read about has had the sport button.

Hopefully you can understand this
Thanks alot,
Pierce
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

wow they're getting cheap!
      03-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

SMG didn't come with the sport package, but in my experience most SMGs were ordered with everything. The main reason the car is SMG is the original buyer just said "what the hell" and ticked all the boxes on the options list.

Performance-wise, it's not well thought of, but my chief concern if I were buying woould be servicing - Z4s and E46 3-series were rarely ordered with this option, so few techs have a working knowledge of them. Seeing someone working on my car and looking from the car to their monitor, from the car to the monitor, with a confused look on their face? Not confidence inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

The sport package had be ordered together with the SMG. You couldn't have an SMG Z4 without the sport package.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Pierce
Lieutenant Dan
United_States
Rep
Drives: Non-existent

I figured it would be something like that
-Pierce
      03-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
The sport package had be ordered together with the SMG. You couldn't have an SMG Z4 without the sport package.
Thats what I've been told too. I have both as well obviously.
I just love the SMG. Although I agree with another poster in this thread that it probably would be a complete doozie to work on.
Thankfully mine has been great as of so far.