ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #23
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I was pleasantly surprised today when I hit 31.5 MPG highway at 75MPH. I'm psyched when I can hit 20MPG in my X5. Nice to have power *and* good mileage.
+1 The ONLY good thing about not having an M.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 08:57 AM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
+1 The ONLY good thing about not having an M.
That and the ride. I don't think I could handle a stiffer suspension. The roads around here are brutal enough.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:28 AM   #25
Beamer3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
I got the acrylic one from Bavauto. Pretty sure it's the same one as the Roadster Solutions version. It was just a tad cheaper because of shipping and I already had an account at Bavauto, so I bought it there. The center part was a piece-o'-cake to install. The pieces within the hoops took a bit of work, but using a screw driver to ease open the slots a bit helped.
Can you (or anyone else) tell me how you install the brackets for the Bavauto windscreen (i.e. glue, mechanically)? Are they permanent or can they be removed and how long did it take to install? Are the brackets an eyesore when the windscreen is not used, does it come with a convenient way to store when not used and lastly how easy is it to take the glass on and off?

2009 550i and 2008 X3
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i Conv.

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer3 View Post
Can you (or anyone else) tell me how you install the brackets for the Bavauto windscreen (i.e. glue, mechanically)? Are they permanent or can they be removed and how long did it take to install? Are the brackets an eyesore when the windscreen is not used, does it come with a convenient way to store when not used and lastly how easy is it to take the glass on and off?
The center piece is installed using double sided tape. In fact, in the attached pic you can see that the tape for the center piece center support is coming loose. Need to fix that today! The instructions call for this center support to be installed such that the glass piece is sightly bowed. This helps to elimiate glare. The hoop pieces just snap in and no tape is needed. There are better pics of each of the pieces on the Roadster Solutions website. BTW, the Roadster decal does not come with the kit. Got that from CustomBrakeLights.com. I do not remove the center piece except to clean it. You can store in the trunk of course but there are not any mounting points or protective sleeve. Here's a pic:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #27
Beamer3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Roadster

Thank you, very informative. Nice garage btw (reflection).

I also see you don't have nav, guess we think alike.

2009 550i and 2008 X3
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #28
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubb2bmw View Post
FYI, the M logo valve stem caps is a different metal from the valve stem causing a chemical reaction call rust. Some folks had to cut and replace their valve stems.
A trick which has worked well for me with the metal caps (and other similar type applications over the years) is to apply liquid car wax to the valve stem threads and cap threads. Be careful not to get any wax on the inside of the valve stem. Ensure good coverage and wipe off excess, install caps once dry. Being proactive, I clean and reapply wax once a year. I check my tire pressures once a month and have never felt any resistance during my monthly checks. Do make sure the threads are clean before applying wax, a toothbrush or machinest's chip brush works well.
      03-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #29
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer3 View Post
Thank you, very informative. Nice garage btw (reflection).

I also see you don't have nav, guess we think alike.
Glad you can't see the rest of the garage in the reflection. Pretty much a total mess right now from a bathroom remodel.

I have a Tom Tom. Accurate and portable! Easy updates.

To answer your other questions, took about 20 min. to install. Center piece pops out pretty easily if you alternate nudging it upward from each side.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:15 AM   #30
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
That and the ride. I don't think I could handle a stiffer suspension. The roads around here are brutal enough.
Trust me - it's the runflats. Ditch 'em and you'll think you just traded up to an entirely new, MUCH better car. Ride quality is far better, AND handling improves too (with an appropriate high-end tire choice). An absolutely zero tradeoff upgrade, other than the cost and lack of spare tire, but that's not necessarily a handicap if you get stranded.. another whole can o' worms.
      03-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #31
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Trust me - it's the runflats. Ditch 'em and you'll think you just traded up to an entirely new, MUCH better car. Ride quality is far better, AND handling improves too (with an appropriate high-end tire choice). An absolutely zero tradeoff upgrade, other than the cost and lack of spare tire, but that's not necessarily a handicap if you get stranded.. another whole can o' worms.
The dealer just replaced these tires before I bought it, so it'd be a waste to toss good tires. I will replace the run flats with regular tires when they wear out, though. Still, the problem here is not sharp bumps as much as road undulations. The backroads here just toss the car around alot. The 740iL I had barely felt them because of the wheelbase and weight. The X5 feels them quite a bit more, and the Z4 will have you wearing a neck brace if you're not careful. You really have to hang onto the steering wheel in the Z4 as well or you'll be off in a ditch in no time. I'm hoping that's due to the runflats and will go away with them when the time comes.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 11:55 AM   #32
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
The dealer just replaced these tires before I bought it, so it'd be a waste to toss good tires.
I agree - except those aren't good tires!

I can almost guarantee if you drove a similar car with "real" tires, you'd ditch those turds in a New York minute. Do some searching for posts by owners that have switched, and you'll find 100% of the comments gushingly positive. The E90 forum is full of such stories too.. that's where I had my direct experience, on an '06 330i.
      03-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #33
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I agree - except those aren't good tires!

I can almost guarantee if you drove a similar car with "real" tires, you'd ditch those turds in a New York minute. Do some searching for posts by owners that have switched, and you'll find 100% of the comments gushingly positive. The E90 forum is full of such stories too.. that's where I had my direct experience, on an '06 330i.
+1 on everthing he said.

I was slow to come around but I put Goodyear Eagle GTs on mine back in November. It really is a different, much better car in every way. Better handling, quieter, and smoother ride. The GTs are all season, ultra high performance tires for around $100 per tire, depending on your size. Best mod I have done. With the money I saved, I bought a mobility kit and a jack kit plus tire plugs. All for peace of mind really.

I only had 22K miles on mine when I went to the GTs, so I know there was still a fair amount of tread left. I have not regretted the waste of tread for one second.

Just my $0.02.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #34
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I like my non RFT tires better than my RFT's but if I had to do it again I would still have driven the RFT's until there was little tread left. No reason to throw away money IMO. Then again I use my car as a DD, so I get new tires about once a year :|
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #35
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
I like my non RFT tires better than my RFT's but if I had to do it again I would still have driven the RFT's until there was little tread left. No reason to throw away money IMO. Then again I use my car as a DD, so I get new tires about once a year :|
So...chrome exhaust tips, windscreen, cup holders, LeatherZ console, Ipod connection, aux-in, first aid boxes, new (HP-reducing but loud) exhaust system, RPI ram air, BMW valve stem caps, etc., are cost effective improvements, but new tires aren't?

The OP was about adding gadgets for the fun of it. My point was, putting on the non-RFTs was the MOST FUN mod I have done for the money. To each his own, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 05:49 PM   #36
blender
Custom User Title
United_States
Rep
Drives: black

I got the Trunk Pockets. Very useful IMHO. Good quality material. I recommend replacing the included plastic push-in fasteners with a screw+ anchor to secure the pocket frame permanently. The push-in anchors tend to come loose. I used some leftover license plate holder nuts and 2x panhead screws painted flat black - like these:
http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...rs-228411.aspx
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2009, 06:08 PM   #37
caseysc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2005 Z4 2.5i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcleme05 View Post
I got the Trunk Pockets. Very useful IMHO. Good quality material. I recommend replacing the included plastic push-in fasteners with a screw+ anchor to secure the pocket frame permanently. The push-in anchors tend to come loose. I used some leftover license plate holder nuts and 2x panhead screws painted flat black - like these:
http://automotive.hardwarestore.com/...rs-228411.aspx
Thanks for the tip. I think that is my next non-performance mod. Looked around alot for a good price, but have not found one for less tha $110, shipped. Any hints on best price suppliers?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #38
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Quote:
You missed the stubby antenna (Mangowalk on ebay), and the ZHP lighted shift knob (starscream) and the M sticked shift boot (also starscream).

Plus some people have installed a homelink adapter for their garage doors.
What homelink adapter? Are you talking about replacing the mirror?
Appreciate 0