ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-29-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Z4M Coupe Buying Advice

The long and short of it-Owned a 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe Sepang Bronze with Dark Sepang and the only option was heated seats. Sold it a few years back and purchased a 2009 Porsche C4S. I just sold the Porsche and have the opportunity to purchase another Z4M Coupe. Here are my choices:

1 owner 2007 Sliver Grey with light Sepang and power seats with 15k miles or
2 owner 2008 Titanium Silver with black nappa interior with premium package, upgraded stereo and heated seats with 45k miles.

Both are bone stock and come with all keys, books, maintenance records, fresh rubber, etc.

Any pros/cons on these two if price is the same? Do I buy the lower mileage car with no options or do I buy the 2008 with more options and more miles?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #2
GyroF-16
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Unlesss the options really matter to you, for the same money I'd take the 15,000 mile car, all other things (maintenance history, general condition of the car) being equal.
On a car with mileage that low, any expensive maintenance is probably much further away.
I also tend to like low miles because I usually buy cars and hold them for a decade or more. So low miles at the start is a big bonus. Your situation may vary if you only intend keep this car for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 03:39 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
Unlesss the options really matter to you, for the same money I'd take the 15,000 mile car, all other things (maintenance history, general condition of the car) being equal.
On a car with mileage that low, any expensive maintenance is probably much further away.
I also tend to like low miles because I usually buy cars and hold them for a decade or more. So low miles at the start is a big bonus. Your situation may vary if you only intend keep this car for a few years.
Yup. Unless it's a 15k price difference. Both cars are up for new bushings simply due to age. Same for shocks IMO. Both will need a major inspection soon. Fairly equal there.

I'd look at the service records on both. If the higher mileage car has had a lot of preventative maintenance and upgrades done it may actually be somewhat of a better deal. That's not to discount your lower mileage point, which is really a good one. I'm suggesting that all costs, including upcoming and past maintenance/upgrades, be considered in looking at price.

Lastly, how many miles do you plan on driving a year? If that's 20 or 30 K miles, lower mileage advantage will quickly dwindle.

Happy hunting!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm leaning towards the 2 owner 2008 model, but the shocks and rubber bushings will probably need to be replaced on both. What's the replacement cost if had to do this to either car?

I usually drive 5-6k miles a year on average.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #5
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

I'd go with the 08 because they fixed the Vanos problem by then. That way so you just have to worry about one engine killer ( crank bearings).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 06:43 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4MLover2012 View Post
I'm leaning towards the 2 owner 2008 model, but the shocks and rubber bushings will probably need to be replaced on both. What's the replacement cost if had to do this to either car?

I wouldn't necessarily say the low mileage car would need shocks and rubber bushings. From personal experience, I've seen cars in the 10 yr old range with low mileage and the shocks and rubber bushings were in like near new condition. A car sitting in the garage out of the elements in not as harsh on the rubber parts, though your mileage may vary.

Sorry, I don't know replacement costs since I do all my own work, though I would not put stock shocks back on if I were replacing them.

I'd probably opt for the 08 since I'm a slob and wear jeans therefore the light interior would not fair well with me. I've seen light interior seats turn blueish from jean rub off.

I'm curious on the price of these cars?

Last edited by pungo; 05-29-2017 at 07:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 07:34 PM   #7
Z4MLover2012
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The light interior does scare me a bit. My wife has it in a Lexus IS350 and it does show everything.

The prices are in the low 30s. I had a line on a 2006 Sepang Bronze but after a PPI, I discovered it has been a BMW Performance School car and had $6k worth of body damage repaired while in BMW's custody. The owner didn't even know, and the rear diff and check valve were also leaking. I know there are still some nice cars out there and I'm going to take my time. I tried to buy my old car back, but the owner will not sell. It currently sits at 16k miles and is still like new.

Thanks to all who have commented so far. I'm looking forward to owning a Z4M Coupe again very soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 08:07 PM   #8
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Quote:

I wouldn't necessarily say the low mileage car would need shocks and rubber bushings. From personal experience, I've seen cars in the 10 yr old range with low mileage and the shocks and rubber bushings were in like near new condition. A car sitting in the garage out of the elements in not as harsh on the rubber parts, though your mileage may vary.

Sorry, I don't know replacement costs since I do all my own work, though I would not put stock shocks back on if I were replacing them.

I'd probably opt for the 08 since I'm a slob and wear jeans therefore the light interior would not fair well with me. I've seen light interior seats turn blueish from jean rub off.

I'm curious on the price of these cars?
Great of points. Depends on storage conditions.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So you're not racking up miles. Ok.

I'd say a nice street coilover package, RTABS, FCABS, arms, lollipops, and misc would run about 4-5k parts and labor. And be worth every penny. If you can DIY any obviously that cuts costs, as does finding a nice lightly used coilover package. No way is go stock on the replacement--there are much better options out there!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #10
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

+1 what Finn said happy hunting