ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-22-2017, 06:54 PM   #1
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

Well I might of made a mistake

I just traded in my Black M Coupe for an Black E92 Vert M3 with the V8 thinking I was getting a better car. In a lot of ways I did such as everyday driver and comfort for sure but as far as handling this thing is a Pig and doesn't handle anywhere near as precise as my Z! Also for being a V8 up top accel meaning 80-90mph and up it seems the same. One of my friends always commented that the Z pulled strong up top and when he got in the car with me he said yea it seems about the same as the Z. It for sure is faster off the line and down low without a doubt, Launch control with the DCT would leave a Z far behind off the line. Also the e92 doesn't get as upset over bumps like the Z did even with the suspension in its harshest setting. I drove the Z to the limit all the time and got to know the car well.

One thing I love about the E92 is its a hardtop vert looks super nice top up or down. The main thing I think which is affecting my decision is the vert weighs roughly 450lbs more then a hardtop coupe which is nuts. But to be honest I think since it weighs so much is why it takes off so hard off the line, there's barely any wheel spin with only the 255 stock michelins. Also the trans is awesome, great drive-ability and there's no way your shifting faster in a manual. Also tons of setting to play with for your M button.

If anybody is thinking of making the switch to one feel free to ask me first about it or seriously get the coupe unless you really love the vert like I do.( I also plan on supercharging this thing to make it an even match lol)

All in all to me its no where near as much as a purist car as my old M coupe but the girls like the new one better if anybody cares about that( I don't). Don't jump in one thinking your getting the same feeling as your M coupe, It's just not as rewarding to drive even though the V8 sounds nasty all the way up to 8300 RPM

I'll try to compare across the board with these 2 cars. If anybody wants to argue these you better have driven both cars first.

E92 M3 Vert Z4

Motor---------------------E92- Well its better for sure Hp/Tq/Sound----------------------Z4- Strong motor of course but not as nice, better MPG---------------------------
---------------------------Also Rev's higher. Not as nice in low RPM's------------------------w/ aggressive driving.--------------------------------------------------------------

Steering-------------- E92- Not as good no matter the mode and---------------------------Z4 Much better feel and response -------------------------------------------------------------------------------worse turn in---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brakes------------------E92- Better system but car weight seems to-------------------------Z4-Better long term grab but has noticeable fade------------------------------
--------------------------------make them worse-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ride----------------------E92- Way better handles bumps nicer,-------------------------------Z4-Stiff and Bouncy, unsettles over bumps because----------------------------
--------------------------------seems like your going slow at 90 lol--------------------------------of short wheelbase------------------------------------------------------------

Suspension------------E92- Nice to have multiple settings but not as---------------------------Z4-Super aggressive, better handling for sure-------------------------------
-----------------------aggressive as and has worse turn in, less-------------------------------------Balanced near perfect, it does like to bite back--------------------------
------------------------likely to oversteer, straigtens out nicer.---------------------------------------a lot more if you F*** up, not for faint of heart or P*****-------------
------------------------Very nice daily ride and good roadtrip car---------------------------------Harsh everyday ride(Your a dick or are 16 if you say otherwise lol)------

Seats-----------------E92- Better for everyday, Much worse for track-------------------Z4- Some of the best factory seats I have been in as far as------------------------
----------------------days or spirited driving. (i'm not a big guy------------------------holding you in seatbelt or not. Great track seats no need----------------------------
----------------------but not small either and I slide around a lot.----------------------for upgrade for track days for the average guy. Harsh for everyday-------------- ------------------------------Seatbelt needed for spirited driving---------------------------------use kind of but they are still better then your civic, rough if your above---
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------200lbs and not a fit guy. I fit like a glove honestly so biased maybe.----------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Not a tall guy car------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interior--------------E92- Its better and more comfortable easy, --------------------Z4- Not as nice but it flows well and is simple especially with no navi-------------
----------------------------it's also newer tech if you appreciate that-------------------------Radio is dated, bmw doesn't have this right till its newest cars.---------------
----------------------------sort of thing.---------------------------------------------------------Steering wheel is best ever, its just awesome.----------------------------------

Exterior--------------E92- Well it loses even though I like the vert top-----------------Z4- Just classic and sleek and will always look good. E92 loses----------------------------------------------- over the E92 coupe better. ------------------------------------------and I now own one and still won't lie to myself thinking it looks better.------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------People always asked what that was and said I thought it was a newer car--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------when I told them the year. Black hardtop,--------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Automatically makes you a Badass !!!!!!!!-------------------------------------

NOT SURE IF THERE A MORE AREA'S TO COMPARE

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I also just picked up this a few weeks ago if anybody cares

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by crawlin; 05-23-2017 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mirko182.00
      05-22-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
Mtxzptlk
Driving Dog
Rep
Drives: 635/1815, X3M Comp

Good to read you post, OP.

I'm starting to look at moving to an M2. =/

Was looking to go down to the dealership to check out a white one. After reading this, am feeling like not opening that can of worms which might also lead to regret.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #3
markp1958
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0i / 2014 740i

Nice Ducati / I did the opposite sort of / traded my m3 hardtop vert for a 740i then got the z4 to compliment
Appreciate 1
scrammer421.50
      05-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Years ago I desperately wanted an E93 M3 Cabriolet and then I drove it.

I was crushed that the experience was lacking in thrills.

That extra 440lbs is immediately felt and as you surmised adding a supercharger is an alternative, but expensive one.

Not so much as it used to be but still expensive relatively speaking.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
tominizer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Some years ago, a Euro magazine did a test of all the BMW M cars, from the earliest and up to the M5 V10, M6, etc. The car that came out on top as best all around M car....... E30 M3. Wasn't the quickest, wasn't the fastest but apparently was the best car all around to actually drive. Crazy. I think it was also an EVO version as well. But whatever.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
crawlin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtxzptlk View Post
Good to read you post, OP.

I'm starting to look at moving to an M2. =/

Was looking to go down to the dealership to check out a white one. After reading this, am feeling like not opening that can of worms which might also lead to regret.
I think the M2 may be a different story, people have been saying its one of the best M's. I think the M2 may be the closest thing to a pure car like the Z. No matter the car you buy the Z is hard to beat in certain area's unless you go porsche which is more coin but eventually I'll be getting a GT4 one of my favorite cars.

Also to make it some sense of it, I had a bad grind in second, rear diff leak, not perfect exterior and my car was starting to have hard starts and also the Vanos was never done and I was at 89k . Also the Z held so much value I didnt lose a nickel on trade and got a deal on my new car.

Don't want to knock the E92 too much but having the vert does weigh it down but I love having a vert and if you don't care about mpg's and want a nice everyday car you can't beat it. It is still an M3 guys, we just happen to own one of the most nimble best all around cars in the Z. Now a hardtop coupe E92 with some weight shaved off and a few bolts on would give the Z hell in a straight line and would be tough competition on a road course.

I would say get the M2 if you don't mind the price as I think the M2 is overpriced since it doesn't come with a real M motor. But they seem like they wont lose much value overall and you won't get hurt on it most likely.( I work in the car business) so I do know values and if you buy cars right you'll do just fine. Just go drive it first and then decide. The E92 and M2 are 2 totally different cars IMO. The M4 and M2 run road courses in the same time by the way, just the M2 is just no match in a straight line. But the M2 with some bolt on's would most likely beat an M4 9/10 times if drivers are equal on a road course.

Also watch the motor trend Ignition episode on the M2 it gives good insight on the car, I'm thinking you may have already watched it.
Appreciate 1
Mtxzptlk871.00
      08-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #7
Daemonblitz
Commander
Rep
Drives: Z4MC/M5/640iX/M1000RR

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [9.50]
2006 Z4M Coupe  [8.77]
2010 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
Interesting comparison and I agree with most of it.
Just a couple of little notes, the E92 body designation refers to a coupe, your vert is designated as an E93
And the stock rear tires on the M3 are 265 vs the stock Z4 M 255.

Love the Ducati, once I can convince the wifey that I need another bike i'd love to pick up a Diavel Carbon for some comfortable relaxed cruising.
K66 ///M1000RR - Competition
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
dfjaws
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 / E86 M Coupe

As an owner of both (E90 M but close enough) I agree with most of your points. They are hard cars to compare, though. They definitely have a different objective/focus. However, if I could only have one I would keep my E90 without a doubt. It's such a great car to live with on a regular basis and it still offers a stellar driving experience. I agree with the weight though, although the E93s are more like 8-900 pounds more than a Z4M Coupe, not 450. That a weight disadvantage impossible for that awesome V8 to overcome. In stock form I've found the M3 to be a much better autocross car. It's handling is very predictable (whereas I find the coupe to be a little snappy when you exceed its limits) and understeer isn't as much of a problem as it is in a stock Z4M, especially if you give the M3 an aggressive alignment. Give the M Coupe some coilovers, spend a little time dialing them in, and it becomes a different story though!

Either way, they are both fantastic cars and I feel privileged to be the steward of both at the same time.

Enjoy your E93! In my opinion, the E9X Ms are some of BMW's best work.