ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
just2talented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine ///M roadster

Vanos Elimination

Just saw this on VACs site. http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...kit-p1344.aspx

Has anybody done this before? Pros/cons?

Im assuming some power loss and a possible tune but it may be worth it to never have a vanos issue again.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
z4msteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I feel like you'll run into the usual Z4M issue which is engine management. Might have to run a standalone.

RPI scoop, Euro headers, SS PowerLoop, Epic race tune, AKG motor/trans mounts, Turner camber bolts
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Why?

Surely the whole point of the Vanos is that it adjusts valve opening dependent upon RPMs to give a strong torque/HP curve throughout the rev range? What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Pretty sure VANOS delete *is* meant to be run with a standalone anyway... It's on race car stuffs.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekky View Post
Pretty sure VANOS delete *is* meant to be run with a standalone anyway... It's on race car stuffs.
Bingo. The VANOS delete is likely for race cars running aftermarket cams.

Not intended for what you think, OP.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

My guess (and it is a guess) is that you would have a slight power gain but decreased MPG for normal driving.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
RobertRO
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

If you search "VANOS delete" through E46 M3 forums you will find a lot of information on this.
Probably the only reason to do it on a S54 is to install a turbocharger and run standalone engine management. But even in that case, VANOS delete is questionable.
Keep in mind that the salt and pepper of the S54 engine is the head, and VANOS is the technology which makes possible a nice torque curve over a wide range of RPM. Without VANOS, your S54 would be nothing more than a M50 with extra displacement and slightly better flowing head.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
exdos
Second Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: Z3 M Coupe(S54) and Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
My guess (and it is a guess) is that you would have a slight power gain but decreased MPG for normal driving.
In a "normal" normally aspirated engine, without Variable Valve opening technology, as the rpms increase, the time that the inlet and exhaust valves remain open gets progressively reduced, as such the engine performance is not "optimised" at all rpms and will produce a torque curve with a definite peak. The purpose of the Vanos is to variably adjust the valve opening times to compensate for the increase in rpm so that the torque/power of the engine is optimised over a much wider range of rpms, producing a torque curve which tends to plateau over a few thousand revs and with reduced loss of torque output at peak revs. Therefore, deleting the Vanos alone will not produce any power gains and will actually produce a performance loss at higher rpms
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I think the question was more along the lines of, can you do the delete along with a tune in order to never have to worry about VANOS bolts or exhaust hub failures. I would gladly take a 20 hp loss to have an engine that didn't have these failures. Any more than 20 hp and I'll roll the dice

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #10
angelr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 aw/ir m coupe, 2013 S4

It's generally for big cams that are no longer compatible with vanos. Once you go with some of the more aggressive cams you can no longer mess with cam timing without making an expensive mess. Some do it on race engines as there is no need for the lowend power lost and in that scenario it is done for simplicity, reliability and ease of tuning. Also some stand alone ecus are not capable of controlling the vanos...yet another reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #11
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

I had the Vanos keep or delete quandary when my Z4 M Coupe engine was being built for turbocharging. It was decided that it was not that necessary for my track car with maybe Motec or Life engine management. If it were a road car and maybe supercharged with standard ECU modified, I would have left the Vanos in place. Hopefully I have made the right decision, and also simplified the engine and got rid of some weight too! The car won't be running till next year due to the complexity of the build, so fingers crossed! LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #12
just2talented
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine ///M roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches
I think the question was more along the lines of, can you do the delete along with a tune in order to never have to worry about VANOS bolts or exhaust hub failures. I would gladly take a 20 hp loss to have an engine that didn't have these failures. Any more than 20 hp and I'll roll the dice
WHS
Appreciate 0