ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

clutch going?

I have a 2006 3.0 si coupe. I don't think that there is much in the way of slipping, though the clutch engages like an on and off switch, but when at a stop, with the transmission in neutral and the clutch pedal is out, there is sometimes a helicopter sort of sound. If I depress the clutch, the sound goes away. As this only happens occasionally, I wonder if the self adjusting clutch is mal-adjusting.
Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
an3ony
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

sounds like a throw-out bearing to me...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^This. Depending on mileage, it's usually better to replace the friction material and sell one if you're going to do the throwout bearing. The cost of labor to get in there isn't something you want to pay twice.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep

It has only 30k miles on it and it is a 2006. But I agree on the labor costs. I would be willing to replace the clutch etc. Are there any non- self adjusting clutches and perhaps single mass flywheel combinations other than UUC?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #5
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

This does not sound like a throw-out bearing and 30,000 miles for a clutch is possible but not likely; it would had to have been abused or used very hard.

The throw-out bearing is activated when you depress your clutch pedal. When you release your clutch pedal, the throw-out bearing no longer rotates and the input shaft to the transmission turns. I would start with a transmission oil change. Personally, I use redline but stick with high quality.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 01:54 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

You know, I need to slow down. Misread two posts in the past week, yours being one. (Had the conditions reversed in my head.)

Other than this helicopter sound what makes you think the clutch is going? I had an E90 M3, from day one it made that sound in neutral with the clutch out. Clutch in, no sound. IIRC it was pretty common. Is it a new sound? If not, and no other symptoms, then I'd take a wait and see approach.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
You know, I need to slow down. Misread two posts in the past week, yours being one. (Had the conditions reversed in my head.)

Other than this helicopter sound what makes you think the clutch is going? I had an E90 M3, from day one it made that sound in neutral with the clutch out. Clutch in, no sound. IIRC it was pretty common. Is it a new sound? If not, and no other symptoms, then I'd take a wait and see approach.
Since the sound is intermittent, I wondered if the self adjusting aspect was maladjusting. I bought the car with 8100 miles on it and the rear shocks were blown so I guess I'm leaving some latitude that the clutch might have been abused. If his sounds like nothing to be concerned about, all the better.
Appreciate 0