ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0i - Saphire Black

Considering custom exhaust mod

After seeing this video of someone's stock exhaust modification and the beautiful sound it produced, I am seriously considering it for my Z4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX8E0s--B8Q

The owner had the rear muffler box removed and the stock resonator replaced with a Magnaflow muffler.

Anyone here had this done? Someone in the comments said it cost roughly $600 for parts and labor, which seems pretty decent considering the cost of a full aftermarket exhaust system.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
badhbtz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Schwarz M Coupe

Hot exhaust!

I am currently doing this. I bought a magna flow muffler and some C6 Tips off a vette owner.

Not sure just yet how to do the hangers.. I was going to remove the current exhaust and make a fixture from wood and then remove the hangers from the old and see if I can weld them to the new muffler.
Seems pretty simple in theory.

I am doing this on a Z4M - But the application is similar.
Any info or tips you run into please share.. i will be taking pics as I go.I figure it will cost a total of 200 bucks out of pocket.

Chip
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

I asked a mechanic about this job and he said the catalytic converter was removed. This might cause some problems when it comes time to pass emissions. I might need to find a way to do this without removing the cat.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
2006E85
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 3.0si Roadster

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4  [0.00]
I did the muffler delete on my 3.0si <n52> and I love it. It's quiet cruising and can be loud and poppy when you get on it.

I was going to go for the magnaflow muffler/resonator delete, but couldn't get one that would fit at the moment. Did the muffler delete and I'm satisfied.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:58 PM   #5
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

So you left the stock resonator in place and just swapped the stock muffler with the magnaflow?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 03:59 PM   #6
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Could you post up a video?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 08:47 PM   #7
Oazix
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Alpine M coupe

I did this on my si, it sounded fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2015, 09:36 PM   #8
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Do the stock resonators that you removed and replaced with the Magnaflow muffler also include the catalytic converter? Trying to figure out where it is and why it's being removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 04:54 AM   #9
2006E85
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 3.0si Roadster

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschRennfahrer View Post
So you left the stock resonator in place and just swapped the stock muffler with the magnaflow?
I am not running a muffler at all. Everything else is still in place.

Let me see what I can do on the video
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #10
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutschRennfahrer View Post
I asked a mechanic about this job and he said the catalytic converter was removed. This might cause some problems when it comes time to pass emissions. I might need to find a way to do this without removing the cat.
Very important to know what your state emission laws are! The secondary cats do not have any sensors so will not throw a light if removed. It has also been reported by several in the forums that even with removal of the secondary's, the car will pass the run test. However: there are states like California which regardless of the run test, any visual alteration of the emission system is an automatic fail. Any mods after the cats are fair game.

For us N52 owners this has been an ongoing search for the ideal and reasonable expense sound mod. Your best bet is to hook up with someone who done the muffler delete and hear it first hand. There is so much that doesn't come across in the multitude of videos.

Keep in mind that you need to be careful in terms of ground clearance if you replace the secondary cats with any muffler. You don't have a lot of room to work with and our cars sit low as it is.
      02-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #11
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

If I decide to leave the cats and simply replace the stock muffler box with a Magnaflow, will I really notice that much of a difference in sound as apposed to removing the secondary cat?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #12
E86Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

Bump for this thread, very interested in anything n52 exhaust.

I was looking to gut my exhaust like the z4m 's do. There are no shops that are confident with the results in my area.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #13
DeutschRennfahrer
Private First Class
Rep

Yea, the German performance shop I called wouldn't do it if I wanted the CAT removed. I'm sure a muffler shop would do it but I need to find one that has done this sort of thing before.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

I was concerned about the look and fitment. You don't want the pipes to stick out weird or be uneven or have some goofy looking gap between the body. It will cheapen the look of the car if you don't get a really good exhaust guy to do the work. It's not easy to get the hangers and everything to line up perfectly. And there is always drone potential where you can't stand it anymore and just spent $600 for nothing. To avoid the risk, you could buy an exhaust for a little more $$ and it will fit and sound awesome. And be totally legal!

See:
Appreciate 0