ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Z4-Life
UA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

USB/Aux-input on Factory Radio Head Unit

I was finally going to get the AudioVox/DICE Silverline Duo integration kit, then after rereading some posts and noticing that 4 out of the first 5 threads in this topic were about problems with the AudioVox/DICE MediaBridge I balked again at the idea.

It appears that there is no perfect solution to hooking up an iPod/iPhone to a BMW, (unless you have a factory installed option with iDrive). By perfect I really mean there are no communication or audio quality issues; no alternator noises; you can browse by playlist, genre, artists, album, etc; text display is supported and you can maintain MF steering wheel controls. (is that really a lot to ask?)

Perhaps, the best solution or one worth pondering is installing a USB/Auxiliary input socket such as this one
and hooking your iPod/iPhone with this iPod/iPhone adapter cable.

I maybe wrong, but I think this is a set up similar to some newer Z4s, where the USB connection serves to keep the phone charged and where audio is supplied via the aux-input for a 3.5 mm mini jack cable . For from ideal, but if thats similar to a factory setup than maybe it is worth looking into.

Now my questions:

Anybody wired the USB/Auxiliary input socket to their factory radio.
I have the Business CD on my 2005, and it supports MP3 CDs and a 6-CD changer (not installed).
I think that unit is aux-in capable and will accept something like this BMW ashtray mounted audio auxiliary input.
What I am unsure of is if it would be "USB ready."

The back of the USB/Aux-In socket is a four prong socket, as of now I am not really sure how that hooks up to the head unit. My guess is that two of those prongs correspond to the two conductors for the aux-in for L and R channel audio; and that the remaining two refer to the 5 V positive and ground for the USB connection.

Any suggestions and help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I plugged an aux cable into my radio as I had an amplifier/Mediabridge incompatibility issue when I had to put a temporary replacement in. You only get audio... No power on the aux connection.
      08-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
zerofighter
projecttechnik.com
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

I'm also interested to see if anyone has installed the OEM USB/AUX in a Z4 yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 12:56 AM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I have XM and I used the 3.5mm audio cable and a female lighter socket off eBay.
Connect the lighter socket across the radio power leads and use the lighter adapter of your choice.

I have the XM vent mounted, so the power and audio leads come out the vent and into the dock unseen.

Of course, no track info on the NAV screen. Just says AUX. But it works and it sounds great. No muss, no fuss, no power cycling it to get it to work.

Name:  Dscn0192.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  74.0 KB