ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-08-2020, 04:59 PM   #1
Voockey
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe, E46 M3, E36, E30

Garage List
Z4M tuning issues with 288 280 cams (issues with stepped headers solved)

Hello guys!

I am new here. New in terms of posting, but been reading various threads for a long time. Finally decided to join and participate. AND, to ask for help. Help for how to solve the ECU tune for 288 280 Schrick std lift cams for mine 2006 Z4M coupe.

Before that I plan to write here a short history of tuning. It might be interesting for you guys to read about my experiences, especially because I also have one more S54 powered car, the lovely M3 E46 coupe in CSL silver color.

In 2012 I bought both cars as excellent condition low mileage cars. Z4M coupe had 34 tkm, now 45tkm. M3 had 42 tkm, now 89 tkm. M3 E46 is supposed to be a slightly modified daily, and it was for 5 years – how much pleasure it has given me – always makes me happy and puts a smile on my face. Now I drive it far less because I want to keep it preserved, and it really still is. With a Superspint street muffler, resonated mid section, decat anti rasp front section and stock euro headers it is just slightly louder, but has a nice tone and extra grunt. There is a tune with CSL rev match, also ESS SMG software, underdrive pulleys.. B12 Bilstein kit just slightly lower than stock, but with both anti roll bars upgraded.. a great and hassle free ride.. love it, love it! A 3.91 diff is the next “smooth” upgrade for M3.

Now, the Z4M coupe has a totally different role, as the character of the car really is different from factory – a beast! A complete TC Kline Racing suspension setup: DA coilovers, cambers plates, camber rear arms, just front thicker bar, geometry.. weight reduction, Supersprint race mufflers (light), forged light wheels, Li battery.. and NA power: Supersprint V1 stepped headers (good gains) with decat oversize front section, air scoop, underdrive pulleys.. a very intensive driving experience – a track focused car driven on the track.

In stock configuration I am sure Z4M has a bit more power than M3 E46 due to the more aggressive tuning from BMW and different ECU and harness (MSS70). I measured everything on the same dyno. Z4M had 300 whp peak power stock. Then with ESS tune got 309 whp, but power increase began only above 5000 rpm – proving how aggressive the tune is from stock. With the “power” button on, it is difficult to drive it smoothly, you guys know that. Adding just Supersrint x-pipe with race mufflers a gain of 3whp - 5whp is evident across the rev range, resulting in 312 whp of peak power.

Here is the dyno graph of stock tune vs ESS tune (showing gains only above 5000rpm):

Name:  Z4MC dyno run.1.jpg
Views: 2458
Size:  532.7 KB

Here is the dyno showing gains of just the Supersprint x-pipe + race mufflers. Pleasant surprise was it for me:

Name:  Z4MC dyno run2.a.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  153.9 KB

So, for the next step I was so excited! Supperprint V1 stepped headers with belonging catless first section! Proven from many sides as a great power upgrade. BUT, then first problems started rising.

First drive with same ESS tune shown a lot of issues.. Hick-ups, hesitations between 2k and 4k rpm, as well as torque loss… Only after 5000 rpm the car got power. Had no will to take the car to the dyno. On website ESS was very clear that their tune is not compatible with stepped headers , and they told me the same… so I was in search for another tune. I also tried the stock map and got less hesitations. Following some advice I bought new O2 sensors, no change. Also tried MAF from my M3, no change. So, I bought an Evolve map for V1 headers and decat. It was really better, but hesitations and hick-ups were still there.. If full throttle was applied bellow 4k rpm, it cuts the power. I was unable to do short 2nd gear power slides in city driving, while with M3 it was so easy to slide on bellow 4k revs. Frustrating. But, with the Evolve map the power was really there after 5000rpm. In the meantime I added underdrive pulleys and RPI air scoop. I decided to go on the dyno. And, peak power was 327 whp, but with hesitations evident. Here it is:

Name:  new runs SS V1.jpg
Views: 1936
Size:  95.3 KB

Then I met two nice guys (today my friends) who started cooperation with one ECU tuner from Bulgaria – Madness Motorsport, Raychinov is his last name. At first we started by trying some maps just to eliminate the hick-ups and hesitations. And after two attempts, the issues really vanished – what a pleasant surprise! (I was beginning to lose hope, since Evolve was surprised with my issues, and their test tunes never solved the issues.) Then we went for a remote dyno session  And the result was 334 whp of peak power without issues! Great! A true 11% of power gain from stock. Here is Evolve (with gentle throttle) vs Raychinov dyno:

Name:  evolve vs madness.jpg
Views: 2027
Size:  104.9 KB

With this power, the car was a blast to drive. Starting from 50 km/h up to 290 km/h my front was just a couple of meters away from the back of my buddies stock M5 V10. He was shocked to see me so close on those speeds, since he was used to see cars vanishing in his mirror after 200 km/h. Ok, my car had 40kg less already. The 7 speed SMG has closer ratios, the weakest point of our cars is shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, when the revs drops too much.

So, issues with using stepped headers on Z4M were evident in my case, but they can be solved. And Supersprint V1 headers give serious gains over euro headers, so it’s worth the hassle.

My buddy also had and still has a stock E92 M3 manual, which is slower than my Z4M, so we went to measure his V8 M3 on the same dyno. While we were at it, the same day a took mine M3 E46 too. (While my M3 is very, very close stock V8 M3, it is even up to 200 km/h and then starts losing a few meters..) Here were the results of peak power:
• Z4M – 334 whp
• E92 M3 stock – 340 whp
• E46 M3 – 312 whp (gentle mods described above)
Here is the graph my Z4M vs M3 V8 stock:

Name:  z4m vs m3 e92.jpg
Views: 1948
Size:  102.7 KB

See how close they are! S54 is a masterpiece! Here is the graph M3 E46 vs Z4M:

Name:  m3 vs z4m.jpg
Views: 1955
Size:  84.6 KB

See what headers do above 6000 rpm. Since that the only difference between the two S54, both are decat, air scoops and have same underdrive pulleys. Ok, Z4M has race muffler, M3 has street version of Supersprint muffler.

THEN …

I was quite happy, and instead of just going for a 3.91 diff for Z4M (which I did later) and continue with weight reduction (Recaro Pole seats and A/C delete) I ordered Schrick 288 280 std lift cams with new Schrick DLC coated rocker arms.

Installation was done nicely, but it did look scary LOL. I was there and followed every step. Did not do any vanos related repairs since the engine is really like new. When I turned on the engine first time after the cam swap, it was just like nothing has been done. No vanos noise on the start up, everything smooth, valve clearance job done, no codes, everything great.

First drive was with the previous custom map from Raychinov. I also ordered the Evolve “cam” map for those cams, just to check it out. I was difficult for me to conclude the power difference from before. The power rise on high rpms was felt, but it can also be due to the loss in lower revs – I know that could happen. Unfortunately the hesitations and hick-ups returned. Before going to the dyno I’ve measured with gps accelerations from 100 to 200 km/h and the car was 0.5 seconds slower. At that time I was thinking: “OK, don’t get upset, Raychinov will make a custom tune for cams and everything will be fine”.

So, we setup a dyno session. We started from the previous (“precam”) Raychinov tune. The car had less power. Here is the graph:

Name:  IMG-20170428-WA0000.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  63.2 KB

Green is“old” 334whp, blue is cams with same tune, red is cams with evolve cam tune. So above 7500 rpm the power is similar, but there is a 20 WHP POWER LOSS ON 7000rpm ! And, 10 to 15 whp less bellow 6000 rpm. Raychinov started working on the tune and after a couple for tunes we reached 340 whp on 8000 rpm, but on 7000 rpm and bellow the power was increased but still was significantly less than before cam swap. Then he asked for AFR readings, and they were all ok, but he cancelled developing the tune saying he is not ready and is not sure what to do next.

The plan was to get prepared for the next dyno session in some time, but that never happened. He was swearing the Siemens MSS70 ECU on Z4M all the time I remember. He gave up to do that job. So, I was left with a slower car and with hesitations under 4k rpm. Splendid! And that was two years ago!

I then asked Evolve for help. They’ve sent me a few test tunes, but all were similar, with similar slower acceleration times than before and with hesitations. I even tried their alpha-n tune from another Z4M with same cams and there was no power difference, but the hesitations were less. And, with that alpha-n map heel-toe rev matching is not possible – what a frustration that was when I found out.

I contacted TTFS, Frank Smith. It was very difficult to reach them.. I got a reply after some time: “.. we don’t have time to work a proper map for the MSS70 platform..”. What a pity.. So, I got stuck

I’ve been recommended to contact a tuner from Germany – MK Motorsport. They are known for serious NA tuning, they have their own developed carbon airbox. If you check their website you will see they have several stages of tuning for Z4M, including “engine kit C” which contains cams and is advertised with 70bhp gains over stock 343. They also have an “engine kit D”, which is like C + headwork and is advertised with 85bhp gains (15bhp gains on headwork!). So they must know there business. I expressed my concerns due to what I went through, and they consider that job as a “piece of cake”. Finally I bought their map.

And, really, hick-ups were gone. But… what really happens is that a power limit occurs if pushing the throttle beyond a certain point, but that power limit is gentle and smooth. After 5000 rpm I can feel the power is far less. At one point I was driving full throttle on 7000 rpm in 5th gear and when I lift the throttle a short lasting burst of acceleration occurred. After that I was experimenting with throttle positions and the car runs faster if 70% - 90% is applied, with best results when lowering the throttle slowly. Dyno showed the truth:

Name:  stock cams + custom map VS new cams + MK map.jpg
Views: 1945
Size:  97.8 KB

So, a 50whp peak power drop! I am waiting for the next map. Or next step. I asked for a remote dyno session. We’ll see.

At this moment while I am waiting and don’t sense any eagerness from MK and I am stuck. And worried. Is there anybody out there who went through similar issues and that can give me some advice? Does anybody know who can do the job? People mention EPIC, Randy, any opinion? Guys, help me.

Ok,there is a spare option. In fact, that is the best option, though it is costly. A stand-alone. Plug and play, keeping the stock harness. Emtron KV8. Map sensor. Far, far easier to tune and potential for some additional benefits. I have a friend who does the job. They already did an E30 S54, as well as a E36 S54. They get 2-3 hp on max revs when they open idle valve LOL! They can add DCT from E82 135i or E9x 335i or E9x M3 with adapter plate. Going to do that one day for sure! For track, with DCT is easier to focus on braking and corner entry than with manual.

With Emtron KV8, in the future when I decide to go for a carbon airbox – tuning will be easy and heal-toe possible. Add some even crazier headers – easy to tune. If I decide to supercharge – again easy… Ok, I will lose DSC, but I always drive it with OFF. It confuses me if it’s on.

But, as I said, quite a lot of cost, just to get a tune. Especially if there is a solution using a stock ECU.

Thanks for reading (who had the nerve… )
Vuki
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #2
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, a lot of great information and details.

I have to say that you probably had already found a sweet spot and in the chase of more power you ended up finding trouble. for the cost of going to a stand-alone ECU I'd rather revert back to stock cams and the tune from your friend, or add the CSL Box and the non-stepped headers with an Alpha-N tune, both of which are tested solutions.

I have a CSL box with EU headers with EPIC's tune and I have no driveability issues (no hesitations and I have a smooth power delivery), I also can do heel and toe. Due to the CSL box mine is an Alpha-N tune.

I was also wondering if any day we will find someone that can really tune the MSS70 ECU, but since our cars are so low volume I understand why tuners have not dedicated time to develop their knowledge in our platform.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2020, 11:07 PM   #3
Residentj3553
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4M Roadster

Pokeybritches (Josh) is a fantastic tuner that puts a ton of time and research into tuning the MSS70. He does all of my tuning.
Very knowledgeable and great guy! I would contact him directly for any questions regarding our ECU.
Mods: ProFlex E85 Flexfuel kit, Eventuri Carbon Intake w/ RPI scoop, Megan Headers, Custom Axle-back exhaust, KW V3 Coilovers, Stoptech ST40 BBK, Poly FCABs, APEX PS-7s, Diode Dynamics Headlights, CF Trunk Spoiler, Sideskirts & Diffuser.
Appreciate 2
Steeler2422.00
Voockey16.00
      07-09-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

Great post.

On my 2006 Z4M Roadster I have an Evolve CSL style intake, SuperSprint v1 Stepped Headers, Stepped Section 1, X-Pipe and SuperSprint Street Mufflers. I have a tune from Randy at EPIC.

I did a pre-upgrade dyno, but have not done a post-upgrade dyno as I still have a "service engine soon" light that I want to address before doing another dyno.

I do not have massive low RPM throttle response issues, but I do detect some flatness down low. I need to do some more track driving to get a better idea of it - I've only had one track day due to COVID.

I will follow and contribute to this thread where possible.
Appreciate 1
Voockey16.00
      07-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Voockey
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience, a lot of great information and details.

I have to say that you probably had already found a sweet spot and in the chase of more power you ended up finding trouble. for the cost of going to a stand-alone ECU I'd rather revert back to stock cams and the tune from your friend, or add the CSL Box and the non-stepped headers with an Alpha-N tune, both of which are tested solutions.

I have a CSL box with EU headers with EPIC's tune and I have no driveability issues (no hesitations and I have a smooth power delivery), I also can do heel and toe. Due to the CSL box mine is an Alpha-N tune.

I was also wondering if any day we will find someone that can really tune the MSS70 ECU, but since our cars are so low volume I understand why tuners have not dedicated time to develop their knowledge in our platform.
Hi Maupineda,

Yes I agree, the sweet spot was with stock cams and V1 stepped headers with a tune sorted out. I should've just added a 3.91 diff and it would really be a super sweet spot

To come back to stock cams is one of the options, and then I can put those cams on my M3. I must admit I would like to avoid this option. When driving the Z4M with these cams with lower and medium throttle inputs it is so responsive and eager, it promises so much and shows such potential.. it is such a pity the ECU won't allow full power. I did put the 3.91 diff on my Z4M and trust me, it feels torquey like a big V8 (with moderate driving).

Regarding making mistakes, let me introduce one more that I did. This 3.91 diff - I bought another unit (it is interchangeable with M3), and I bought with a new clutch plate LSD. The LSD is setup to have too much lock. On the track with the TC Kline setup, there was zero under-steer with stock LSD, the front end was amazing, grips and grips. I changed the diff and I got so frustrated with the introduced under-steer, unbelievable! It is with 12 active clutch plates and 40/65 ramping angles. Stock diff is back on the car, so I did a new setting according to advice from the supplier. Now it is set to have 8 active clutch plates (33% less locking "power"), ramping angles the same.. but I would prefer ramping angles with less lock (higher angles, such as 50/65 for instance). Until I sort out the tune I won't be putting back that diff. I want to compare 100-200 km/h acceleration times, step by step - what do cams provide, what does a 3.91 diff provides.

BTW, I measure those times with precise GPS tool and on same roads and similar conditions (temps). Z4M managed 9.8 sec with stock diff and 334whp (stock cams). My M3 E46 does 11 sec with 312whp, my friends stock manual E92 M3 does 10.7 sec. What is interesting here is that when I put 17 inch wheels on M3 (from my E36) which have a 5% smaller diameter, I measured M3 and got 10.5 sec. So, 0.5 seconds less. The diff is shorter 8%, which means that I highly recommend this mod in any case. Needless to say, M3 E92 has a 3.85 diff stock, and a 6th gear which is 0.87.. while on M3 is 0.83 and on Z4M is 0.85. Either way with a 3.91 diff, our cars have the same revs on the highway as does the M3 E92 in stock form.

Another advice regarding the choice of LSD. Our cars are lighter than other M cars. They're not turbo or huge displacement. I have rear tires Toyo R888R 275/35 R18 and an aggressive LSD is not needed. Hell, with such big sticky tires it would run with an open diff LOL I will experiment and share my experience. My driving style is smooth, and I like to manage the rear end while having the front end like a go kart. I am not a fan of trying too hard to keep the front end gripping in order to have huge lock LSD. Probably if I were to have a square setup, the diff "pushing" would cause less problems.. The point is everything affects everything and it should be properly matched, and, according to your taste. Hope this will help
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
Voockey
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post
Great post.

On my 2006 Z4M Roadster I have an Evolve CSL style intake, SuperSprint v1 Stepped Headers, Stepped Section 1, X-Pipe and SuperSprint Street Mufflers. I have a tune from Randy at EPIC.

I did a pre-upgrade dyno, but have not done a post-upgrade dyno as I still have a "service engine soon" light that I want to address before doing another dyno.

I do not have massive low RPM throttle response issues, but I do detect some flatness down low. I need to do some more track driving to get a better idea of it - I've only had one track day due to COVID.

I will follow and contribute to this thread where possible.
Thanks!

The CSL style intake is so addictive and I will be doing it for sure one day. But I do have second thoughts on the Alpha N mapping. I trust it is not "street friendly" as with stock MAF mapping. M3 guys can choose to go for a true M3 CSL ECU setup with MAP sensor, but on Z4M Alpha N is a must.

Here is a qoute from bimmerworld for Epic Alpha N tune:

"Since there is no Lambda-based adaption with Alpha-N it's critical to have the car re-tuned for any major changes to the engine spec. We will re-tune the car once after the initial tune or more often for a nominal fee. You will also want to have the tuning adjusted for a significant change in elevation. You must also ensure the engine is maintained to a very high standard as even things like a clogged air filter will alter performance and drivability. Alpha-N is not recommended for street use unless the engine is heavily modified and you use more than 70% throttle most of the time. Part throttle tuning is not as important in Alpha-N strategy and we mostly focus on full throttle tuning. An HFM-based adaptive tune will be far more compatible for life on the street."

Ok, for my car which is just for fun and track and with WOT there is no issue I suppose with Alpha N.. Perhaps it is OK to sacrifice the daily features in my case.. but I don't think maybe everybody is prepared for that. But just because of that noise it's worth it! Especially roadster
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #7
Voockey
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Residentj3553 View Post
Pokeybritches (Josh) is a fantastic tuner that puts a ton of time and research into tuning the MSS70. He does all of my tuning.
Very knowledgeable and great guy! I would contact him directly for any questions regarding our ECU.
Hi!

I am interested. Can you give me some more info? Or send me some links, if there are any reviews on Josh working on Z4Ms with big cams, etc (remember I am new here)..

Practically I need someone to remotely (dyno) tune my car. I would like to gather as much info as I can and then decide what to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voockey View Post
Hi!

I am interested. Can you give me some more info? Or send me some links, if there are any reviews on Josh working on Z4Ms with big cams, etc (remember I am new here)..

Practically I need someone to remotely (dyno) tune my car. I would like to gather as much info as I can and then decide what to do.
I also highly recommend pokeybritches to tune. All be it my car is an M54 it now runs 16# boost, Porsche injectors and Audi RS4 MAF and Josh has it darn close to perfect.

I have no doubts he can get very best out of your setup.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
Voockey16.00
      07-10-2020, 01:57 AM   #9
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Josh is doing my tune, top notch stand up guy. give him a holler. PM Pokeybritches and say G'day.

Def dont pull the 280/288, works absolutely fine and i love it a lot .

cheers