ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2023, 01:04 PM   #1
SebIsANegev
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4M Roadster Imola Red

Garage List
2008 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
OEM flip up multimedia system modern overhaul

. Not sure if any of you can help me with this idea I’ve had.
I want to upgrade my z4m’s navigation system/multimedia system and modernize it. The car already has Bluetooth for calls (I’ve never used it nor can I manage to get the car to pair to my phone either…)

It has the flip up screen design and I want to replace the old LCD in it, with an LED/Oled panel or something.
I’d also likely have to upgrade the hardware as well! I think a raspberry pi would be more than capable of running a newer version of idrive

I realize it’s not that easy as I’ll likely have to get an encoder or something because it’s like archaic tech
Audio is easy enough to splice in but the GPS functionality isn’t something that will be easily removable/upgradeable. I think because it’s interconnected into the car. I haven’t found any way to update the NAv map with modern data.

But I want to maintain the OEM functionality of the pop up screen display. And upgrade the software to be able to have Apple Car Play/Android Auto.

I’m going to buy the same unit and get it 3D scanned at my university’s engineering lab to have a digitized model to work with in auto cad to see what sort of measurements are allowed.

I wonder if anyone else with a Z4 has had a similar idea to do this!
Curious to hear what you all have to say!
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 01:46 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Have you seen this thread?
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1573176
      03-28-2023, 01:58 PM   #3
SebIsANegev
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
Similar to what I want to do but not quite there
I have the time and energy to invest into this matter and I’m going to be looking to take this project on.

With the intention of maintaining the oem popup function. As much as I like the idea of settling for the x3 static display I don’t like the way it protrudes so much. I love the fact I can pop it down and feel like I’m in a car with just basic tech.

Going to deep dive into this! Will update
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 03:17 PM   #4
CJW2OO4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86M,M2,F13 E86&E85M,E86,2E46

I have been trying to utilize the Android screens but the baseplate is terrible. This is a newer option I stumbled upon. It appears that you reuse your OEM Nav screen base but remove the screen.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29915667
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 04:00 PM   #5
SebIsANegev
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
CJW2004 great job finding that! But I’m looking to even maintain the original housing if I can and using rear brackets to support the thinner panel. I need to take it apart myself to see what I’m working with and so I can begin to build a prototype

I know the new panels available are paper thin compared to the clunky thick early 2000’s LCD’s, so I feel like I could somehow find a way to mount one within the housing as he did!

This helps substantially! I really appreciate it!

I am going to begin to look into this matter more and consult with some people I know who might be able to assist with the coding aspect regarding integration of the steering wheel button and basal functions of the car. There’s a few “coding” wizards here in my province.
Appreciate 0