ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #1
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

Headlamp Mounting Part

I was re-installing my left headlamp when I noticed part# 1 on the attached RealOEM diagram. Not only was that part not present, but after receiving the genuine BMW part, I'm clueless about how how it attaches or what it does. Anyone have any insight?
Thanks,
Ted
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Look at the right headlight for reference
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #3
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

Maybe this will help

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm

The item looks like it performs adjustments
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah....I had checked the right side but I'm not seeing any evidence that the part is installed there either. So, either both headlamps had been previously re-installed without the correct parts, or RealOEM isn't at the top of its game. The left corner of the car had been damaged while under the care of the previous owner and I'm a little suspicious, but the other portions of the repair appear to be very well done.
Those Pelican tutorials are usually a go-to source of information for me, but neither the one listed, nor the TIS, show any evidence of this mystery part.
It's not immediately obvious how the part would be added to the installation, but I'll pull it apart again and hope for divine enlightenment.
Thanks, guys!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
I was re-installing my left headlamp when I noticed part# 1 on the attached RealOEM diagram. Not only was that part not present, but after receiving the genuine BMW part, I'm clueless about how how it attaches or what it does. Anyone have any insight?
Thanks,
Ted
That piece is to adjust the aim of the headlight AFAIK.
However I see 2 locations in the OEM diagram you posted, my lights (xenon) 2004 have 1 per light.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 05:56 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
That piece is to adjust the aim of the headlight AFAIK.
However I see 2 locations in the OEM diagram you posted, my lights (xenon) 2004 have 1 per light.
On a facelift Xenon headlight, I can tell you for a fact, both the vertical and horizontal aim adjustments are contained within the headlight assembly which adjust the internals. The outer part of the headlight is fixed therefore that part is not for headlight aiming. It may be for headlight alignment with the body/fender/hood when mounting it, I don't know.

This may help:

Last edited by pungo; 06-27-2021 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: fixed link
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #7
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
That is an adjustment element for setting the headlight flushness to the fender. It should install to the backside of the light or directly into the body. You can see one on the lower attachment points in this photo from Pelican parts.
Attached Images

06-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #8
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That video shows exactly the same connections as my headlamp, and without the additional part. My conscience is now clear. Thanks, all!!
Ted
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:38 AM   #9
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well damn, bwright657, I was feeling pretty good about this until your post ;~). I went back to Pelican and took a look at their supersized photo. There it was. Interestingly, however, it's in a location different than the one (or two) indicated on RealOEM. OK, I'm breaking out the Torx sockets again. Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:49 AM   #10
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good grief. Mine has the "spacer holder" in the same position as yours, but none in the RealOEM location. Back to having a clear conscience. Thank you, sir!!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:31 PM   #11
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

The realoem image is a halogen light. Your M has HIDs. Could that be causing confusion?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Good morning. Both the posted diagram and another that follows it are listed as "Xenon" on RealOEM. The second diagram has the igniter and control for the Xenon portion.
Apparently you've been recently speaking with my girlfriend about how she thinks I'm easily confused ;~).
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00
      07-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #13
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
Good morning. Both the posted diagram and another that follows it are listed as "Xenon" on RealOEM. The second diagram has the igniter and control for the Xenon portion.
Apparently you've been recently speaking with my girlfriend about how she thinks I'm easily confused ;~).
Now you can tell her you met someone even worse.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 03:41 PM   #14
CrazyOneToo
1999 E46, 2002 E53, 2007 E85....all in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0Si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
That is an adjustment element for setting the headlight flushness to the fender. It should install to the backside of the light or directly into the body. You can see one on the lower attachment points in this photo from Pelican parts.
Hello. Are you saying the upper part (with the red arrow) has just a spacer barrel part and no adjuster (yellow circle) ?
The previous owner was very bad about leaving off parts for whatever reason.
I have recently removed some Sonar/Spyder headlights and went back to OEM Xenon headlights.
I want all the parts installed that it should have.

1999 328i - 2002 X5 3.0i - 2007 Z4 3.0i...always in progress.....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 12:33 PM   #15
Ivesy
E86 Z4 BLAU
Rep
Drives: E86 BLAU E93 BLAU E30 BLAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOneToo View Post
Hello. Are you saying the upper part (with the red arrow) has just a spacer barrel part and no adjuster (yellow circle) ?
The previous owner was very bad about leaving off parts for whatever reason.
I have recently removed some Sonar/Spyder headlights and went back to OEM Xenon headlights.
I want all the parts installed that it should have.
Dude I've been struggling with this for 6 months. Even BMW don't seem to know what's going on. It say I should install part 1 "space holder" on both sides but the part that comes from the code won't fit. It looks in the diagram like it's some kind of bush that goes inside the metal sleeve. I don't want to put it back together with the washer cramped against the metal sleeve, it doesn't feel right at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 01:43 PM   #16
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivesy View Post
Dude I've been struggling with this for 6 months. Even BMW don't seem to know what's going on. It say I should install part 1 "space holder" on both sides but the part that comes from the code won't fit. It looks in the diagram like it's some kind of bush that goes inside the metal sleeve. I don't want to put it back together with the washer cramped against the metal sleeve, it doesn't feel right at all.
I hear you. I am confused about it all.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 04:00 PM   #17
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

I have had my headlights out twice in the past 2 winter seasons.
I can report with 100% certainty that there is no factory alignment mechanism(not to be confused with headlight aiming) on the upper connection as indicated by the red arrow in bwrights photo. There is only the sleeve and the screw in that location.

The adjustment in the yellow circle is indeed to align the headlight housing with the body panels. I have actually used fender washers behind that upper connection to have the correct headlight gap.

Of course, you will need to re aim your headlights after doing any headlight work.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 04-18-2023 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 11:19 PM   #18
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
I can report with 100% certainty that there is no factory alignment mechanism(not to be confused with headlight aiming) on the upper connection as indicated by the red arrow in bwrights photo. There is only the sleeve and the screw in that location.

The adjustment in the yellow circle is indeed to alignment the headlight housing with the body panels. I have actually used fender washers behind that upper connection to have the correct headlight gap.

Of course, you will need to re aim your headlights after doing any headlight work.
Thank you for the info. That helps a lot.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 01:44 AM   #19
Ivesy
E86 Z4 BLAU
Rep

Quote:

The adjustment in the yellow circle is indeed to alignment the headlight housing with the body panels. I have actually used fender washers behind that upper connection to have the correct headlight gap.

Thanks Steeler. So are we happy that the bolt head washer thing just fastens onto the edge of the metal sleeve that goes through the plastic hole in the side of the headlight housing? Is there a process or anything to get the headlight aimed correctly and then close that one off last? I don't like it, I was about to make a nylon bush to fill the void in there because I couldn't beleive it tbh.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 06:43 AM   #20
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivesy View Post
Thanks Steeler. So are we happy that the bolt head washer thing just fastens onto the edge of the metal sleeve that goes through the plastic hole in the side of the headlight housing? Is there a process or anything to get the headlight aimed correctly and then close that one off last? I don't like it, I was about to make a nylon bush to fill the void in there because I couldn't beleive it tbh.
The alarmingly large hole for such a small screw is due to the headlight being attached to 2 different body elements. The bracket that I believe is attached to the rad support and the fender where this connection in question is attached.
Purely tolerance related IMO.
In order to get precise body gaps, all 4 connections need to be adjusted to achieve good gaps.

I have even gone as far as shimming the bumper fascia to achieve precise gaps and heights to suit the hood fitment.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 01:23 PM   #21
Ivesy
E86 Z4 BLAU
Rep

Quote:
The alarmingly large hole for such a small screw is due to the headlight being attached to 2 different body elements. The bracket that I believe is attached to the rad support and the fender where this connection in question is attached.
Purely tolerance related IMO.
In order to get precise body gaps, all 4 connections need to be adjusted to achieve good gaps.

I have even gone as far as shimming the bumper fascia to achieve precise gaps and heights to suit the hood fitment.
Nice! I've had that bumper on and off so many times I'm like those army guys that strip guns blindfolded
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00
      04-22-2023, 02:12 PM   #22
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Almost everything on the front end of the Z4 is adjustable. Makes it possible to dial everything in exactly how you want it, but also a pain to make those adjustments!