ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-05-2014, 01:05 AM   #23
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
My two cents:

The way to most efficient braking isn't using ABS.

Whacking the hell out of the brakes for maximum braking isn't the best way to manage brakes for a session. Min stopping distance and max braking efficiency aren't as important as how you come off the brakes, or how you manage heat lap after lap.

Smoothness and balance of the car off braking is more important that whether you save a few (or more) feet with some max braking approach--corner entry and transition are more important. Abrupt release of the brakes bobbles weight back and forth--something that causes a loss of traction and makes corner entry much more difficult, resulting in lost time and lost control. The smoother you come off, the more traction you have. Simple as that.

If you're up for some good reading on the topic, and some great ideas on managing brakes as well as increasing traction during and after braking, this long (but very useful) explanation by The Hack covers it really well. (The book "Speed Secrets" discusses similar things, and others, and is a great read for any track junkie IMO.)

Using what I learned, applied, analyzed, and practiced from this piece alone (thanks Hack) I cut 10+ seconds from my lap times, while managing brakes better (no fade, even though I was faster), and ended up with a hell of a lot more traction into corners, better control, and hence faster out. More fun too. Several Zpost members I've driven with have had similar results when learning and applying these techniques--I hear things like "I'm not fighting with the car into the corner", "wow, it's so much more balanced and easy to control". YMMD.

Now I just need to manage about 25 other things to improve my driving, and then another 25, and so on! (Right Sean? )
Right!

On the topic of ABS, it just means that your tire stops spinning, so the car steps in to help you out. If you have better brakes or brake pads, then tires, ABS is more likely to come on. If you ease into the brakes rather than slamming the brakes, the ABS is less likely to come on. A softer suspension will also make you not break traction, so your ABS doesnt come on.

Donoman, there is a lot to learn. My 188hp e30m3 (t-hill 2:02-2:03)will beat my z4m around thunderhill track by 7 seconds. Why? Because she brakes better, turns better and weighs 700 lbs less. Power is a very small piece unless you are driving in a straight line.
Appreciate 0