ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-17-2014, 08:13 PM   #1
don 147
Private
Rep
Drives: z4

Battery replacement

Ok I need to replace my battery (06 Z4 3.0) I did a search and it seems that there is something called "transit mode" that gobbles up your car if you don't do the replacement in the right way. Can anyone explain the correct way. I have changed about a 100 batteries in my lifetime and never had an issue BUT again this is a BMW and I'm Texan,not German so I'm sure I could do it wrong. From what I can gather, you must open the trunk and not touch the car for 20 min. before you remove the cables to keep it from self destructing. Is this correct and is there more to the equation.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
jeebus87
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 atacama yellow Z4 35i

I changed the battery in my 07 3.0si in my garage, took about 20 minutes total, and didn't have any issues with the car going into transit mode. Changed it just like on any other car. You will need to reprogram your windows, but that's super easy. You just put your key into the ignition (turn on accessories, but don't crank the engine), and then roll window down all the way and hold it for 5 secs, then roll it back up and hold for 5 sec. Repeat for the other side. Voila.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #3
don 147
Private
Rep
Drives: z4

Thanks for the reply, I'll remember to do the window deal. I wonder why this is necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
gghg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 06 M Coupe

I had the same concern when I changed the battery with my 06 M Coupe. Like jeebus87 I didn't have any issues either just had to reset the everything back to metric (Canada eh) for GPS/vehicle settings.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Would like to know if there is an actual definitive answer to this. Have changed the battery once, and disconnected it while doing things on the car multiple times. No issues. However, the car did slip into transit mode recently during one of these exercises.
      03-18-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkurie View Post
Would like to know if there is an actual definitive answer to this. Have changed the battery once, and disconnected it while doing things on the car multiple times. No issues. However, the car did slip into transit mode recently during one of these exercises.
The definitive answer is it depends on if your car actually had "transit mode" deactivated by the dealer. Some have found it was not done properly. Must be an item BMW did a poor job of communicating with dealers.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC BSM

I'l be needing to replace mine. Which battery did you use? OEM is pricey as hell. 06 M coupe.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Sticky thread on Navigation forum.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745266
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #9
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

According to my local BMW Indy tech. Post 2006 BMW alternators adapt its charge to compensate for low battery as the bettery gets weaker. When you change the battery the alternator may still be compensating for the old battery and can cause quirks in the electrical system until its reset or "Registered" for a new battery. My car was displaying symptoms of a low battery after I changed may battery until my indy tech reset or "registered" the car to the new battery.
      03-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #11
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
My original battery (from 2005) finally died and I replaced it with an Ever Start Maxx battery from Walmart for that was on sale for $90. Same size and specs. I take the battery in and out for storage every year and it seriously is a 5 minute job from start to finish.

I'll take responsibility for the death of the original battery. I religiously charged the battery every year, but there was a 7-8 week period this past October where I didn't drive the car (or charge the battery) and this ultimately led to the battery's death. 8 years out of the original battery isn't bad though...I was planning to replace it this year anyways as preventative maintenance.

Upon install I'd always reset the clock, but never noticed anything abnormal causing me to reset the windows though.
      03-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
According to my local BMW Indy tech. Post 2006 BMW alternators adapt its charge to compensate for low battery as the bettery gets weaker. When you change the battery the alternator may still be compensating for the old battery and can cause quirks in the electrical system until its reset or "Registered" for a new battery. My car was displaying symptoms of a low battery after I changed may battery until my indy tech reset or "registered" the car to the new battery.
I don't think this is accurate. I have read no sources which say we have to register our battery. Our cars were built prior to BMW adding this "feature".

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgood4u View Post
I'l be needing to replace mine. Which battery did you use? OEM is pricey as hell. 06 M coupe.
I bought a NON AGM battery from O-Reilys Auto Parts(around $105). It has worked fine for the past 2 yrs. The size battery we need is readily available almost anywhere. AGM vs Lead Acid is a big point of debate here. I do not think it matters a lot. Same warranty at the place I bought so I went with the cheaper LA battery.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Z4 battery absolutely does NOT have to be registered. This has been discussed ad nauseum in the various Z4 forums on the interwebs.
      03-19-2014, 02:01 AM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Z4 battery absolutely does NOT have to be registered. This has been discussed ad nauseum in the various Z4 forums on the interwebs.
This man speaks the truth and the wise man listens to him.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:54 AM   #15
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I don't think this is accurate. I have read no sources which say we have to register our battery. Our cars were built prior to BMW adding this "feature".

I bought a NON AGM battery from O-Reilys Auto Parts(around $105). It has worked fine for the past 2 yrs. The size battery we need is readily available almost anywhere. AGM vs Lead Acid is a big point of debate here. I do not think it matters a lot. Same warranty at the place I bought so I went with the cheaper LA battery.
I just replaced mine the other day at O-Reilys. took about 15 minutes. you may want to take in your old battery to match up sizes, the one listed for my M was about an inch too short in length so it wouldnt fit in the battery hold down.
      03-19-2014, 07:46 AM   #16
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwank View Post
I just replaced mine the other day at O-Reilys. took about 15 minutes. you may want to take in your old battery to match up sizes, the one listed for my M was about an inch too short in length so it wouldnt fit in the battery hold down.
That must be new. The one I bought there was identical to the OEM BMW labeled unit.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:23 AM   #17
zgood4u
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Turns out it wasn't the battery after all, ignition switch now replaced. Thanks to all for the help.
Appreciate 0