ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Seat belt chime bypass / disable

Those of you who don't know, our seat buckle receptacles use a two wire hall effect switch. Basically, it senses the seat belt blade via magnetism. Once there is interruption in gauss, the sensor either allows current to flow, or doesn't.

If you need to bypass the chime, in effect fooling the system that a seat belt is always plugged in, simply open up your seat connector under your seat (big yellow connector), and pull the seat belt receptacle connector out. It will most likely have a black and red wire on it.

On the yellow connector itself, insert a 274ohm resistor (1/4w is fine). This allows just the right amount of current to flow through the loop. You can probably use 100 ohm, I just had none laying around.

The system pulses voltage to the seat belt at about every 400ms to check that it is plugged in, not plugged in, shorted or open.
      03-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Thanks, useful info indeed

Any idea on how to make the car STFU when I have the key on and the door open? You'll be my hero
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

DIY? :/ that's too much if tech speak for me unfortunately. and i reallly want to get rid of this chime.
      03-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Those of you who don't know, our seat buckle receptacles use a two wire hall effect switch. Basically, it senses the seat belt blade via magnetism. Once there is interruption in gauss, the sensor either allows current to flow, or doesn't.

If you need to bypass the chime, in effect fooling the system that a seat belt is always plugged in, simply open up your seat connector under your seat (big yellow connector), and pull the seat belt receptacle connector out. It will most likely have a black and red wire on it.

On the yellow connector itself, insert a 274ohm resistor (1/4w is fine). This allows just the right amount of current to flow through the loop. You can probably use 100 ohm, I just had none laying around.

The system pulses voltage to the seat belt at about every 400ms to check that it is plugged in, not plugged in, shorted or open.
I hope this is for your aftermarket seats, and not because you don't like wearing a seatbelt
      03-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #5
kinkkujuusto
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2.5i -07

This works! I used a 320 ohm resistor. I always wear seat belt while driving, dont worry

Last edited by kinkkujuusto; 03-16-2013 at 07:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

I would like to disable the beeper for all functions (seat belt, door open, lights, etc.) and keep the warning light. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
You have to be very careful here and do a little risk management.

The Safety Information Module (SIM) of the Advance Safety Electronics (ASE) system evaluates the severity of each crash into four levels:

CS=Crash Severity
CS 0: no crash (parking damage)
CS 1: light crash
CS 2: crash of medium severity
CS 3: severe crash

For example, in the event of a front-end crash, a distinction is made between crash severity "light to medium collision" (CS 1/CS 2) or "severe collision" (CS 3).
In the case of crash severity from light to medium collision, the driver's/front passenger's airbag are not triggered if it is detected that the occupants are wearing seatbelts.

If the occupants are not wearing seatbelts, the driver's and front passenger's airbag would be triggered.
The seatbelt tensioners are triggered in all cases.

If you do bypass the Hall-Effect sensors and forget to put the belt on and have a mishap above a 'parking damage' (CS 0), then you as the driver will have NO active or passive protection since the air bags will NOT deploy exposing you to potentially bad injuries. If you do this to your passenger seat belt, you really must be diligent.

Now you also have to also evaluate the legal aspects. I don't know the actual data/law, but I would be willing to bet that if you had a mishap and were injured and the insurance company found out you were not wearing a seatbelt, then did some more investigation and then discovered that you had disabled some of the 'airbag interlocks', you may open yourself up to having the insurance company disallow your medical claim. You can take this even further and forget to tell your passenger and this happens, they could sue the crap out of you and you are definitely liable with no insurance backup..

I am not saying not to do this mod, but you have to do some careful thinking on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

As long as you wear the seat belt, nothing to worry about. Disarming the chime itself may be another option.

Disabling the annoying chime speaker
      03-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #9
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
As long as you wear the seat belt, nothing to worry about. Disarming the chime itself may be another option.

Disabling the annoying chime speaker
AWW YEAH, totally doing this next chance I get... Door chime drives me nuts everyday. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #10
Clearancediver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

I'm with Shipkiller on this. It's just plain nuts to disable this system in anyway. You open yourself to expensive liability/lawsuits. If the chime bothers you that much find out where the chime is located and disable the chime.... Doing that has to be less likely to bite you in the butt....
      04-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Thanks for this! The car chimes incessantly any time I put a backpack in the passenger seat. I've been looking for a fix. And no, removing the backpack is not a fix.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0