ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-15-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Single touch Power Convertible Top Control

Installed the Gap-Tech Remote Control Hood Plus (RCH+) today.
Works as advertised. Makes the whole process of the power top much simpler. In a nutshell, you no longer have to hold the dash buttons while you lower/raise the top, it gives your remote down and "up" capability, and you dont have to continuously hold the remote buttons to make it function.
I had heard there was another product that does this but there were issues. This one broke the surface on the Z4Forum - Our UK compatriots appeared to line up and buy it in mass. They called it the OTH+ there. No complaints I noticed.

Should have come like this from BMW - but I suppose that when you live in the land of the leisure suit litigation ambulance chasing pond scum, whoops, I mean defenders of the defenseless downtrodden masses.........but I digress, the key sequence using the key remote takes just a minute to get used to. Put about a one sec pause in between clicks.
Down - is Unlock, Unlock, Unlock
Up - is Unlock, Unlock, Lock

The Dash controls: Push for about a half sec and release.

www.gap-tech.co.uk
He will ship to the US - took about 14 days for it to get here and about 30-45 min to install.
2011 E93 335is - current fav
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Nice, i keep seeing these for the newer gen z4 and not ours.. debating on getting them or getting programming done..
      05-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

the fact that the windows dont stay all thee way down initially is weird....dont know if i would pay for that but the remote closing is still cool
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
h1tek
Rep
Drives: 03 z4 3.0i

I got 1 from the z4-forum group buy. Great little unit, I probably drive around topless 3x more often now!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #5
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post

He will ship to the US - took about 14 days for it to get here and about 30-45 min to install.
How involved was the install, pretty straight forward? of do you have to cut and splice?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Killabee
G-Powered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i S G-Power SKIII

I just ordered one... hope it's not much trouble installing.
      05-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #7
h1tek
Rep
Drives: 03 z4 3.0i

Install is very easy, and the unit comes with good instructions. It comes with scotch locks to splice into a few wires located just under the ashtray trim. However I used a soldering iron and solder to make the connection.

It's 5 wires in total, takes about 1/2 hour start to finish
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 01:35 AM   #8
pingpong
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Wow, I've been waiting for one of these things for a while now (couldn't find a reinhold module anywhere). Definitely in for one.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Joshaj24
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Can someone post pics when they do their install? Sounds like a great MOD!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 11:54 AM   #10
Forbes
Daily driver/Weekend mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I purchased the SmartTop module. It's a very simple install. Pull the speaker panel behind the driver's seat and the second access panel closer to the door, unplug the oem top module to insert the Smart Top module inline..that's it. Yes, the top goes up and down much more often.

All remote SmartTop features are operated using the FOB's open button. Each feature may be turned on or off individually and customized. Mine is set like this: press twice to roll down windows, two times lowers the windows & top, four times, top down, windows up. Pressing this number of times again will do the reverse action. I set in-cabin one touch operations to be allowed at a speed up to 20 kmh.

Overall, I'm super satisfied. But I miss my oem settings where the windows stay at half mast, and would consider a swap to a module that retains that option.

A word of caution; if you're not careful when unlocking the passenger door, you might unintendedly activate the top. Although this is not a danger, it can make you look daft on a rainy day.

Last edited by Forbes; 10-18-2015 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #11
Forbes
Daily driver/Weekend mechanic
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 3.0i Roadster

Garage List
2006 Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2014 BMW 328i  [0.00]
SmartTop:
www.mods4cars.com

Installation manual:
http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...action=manuals
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 05:58 AM   #12
Razz
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4M Roadster

Hi

Anyone have contact details for GapTech please
Tried getting hold of them via the online support, but not sure if it is going through

Looking at picking up a unit when i am in the Uk in a few weeks
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes View Post
I purchased the SmartTop module. It's a very simple install. Pull the speaker panel behind the driver's seat and the second access panel closer to the door, unplug the oem top module to insert the Smart Top module inline..that's it. Yes, the top goes up and down much more often.

All remote SmartTop features are operated using the FOB's open button. Each feature may be turned on or off individually and customized. Mine is set like this: press twice to roll down windows, two times lowers the windows & top, four times, top down, windows up. Pressing this number of times again will do the reverse action. I set in-cabin one touch operations to be allowed at a speed up to 20 kmh.

Overall, I'm super satisfied. But I miss my oem settings where the windows stay at half mast, and would consider a swap to a module that retains that option.

A word of caution; if you're not careful when unlocking the passenger door, you might unintendedly activate the top. Although this is not a danger, it can make you look daft on a rainy day.
I installed the SmarTop module a couple of years ago. I really love the way this module works and it offers far more options than OEM operation.

When my car is in the garage, the top and windows are always up. When I'm preparing to leave home and walk into the garage, I press the unlock button on the key fob three times and the windows and top go down. I can open the door and get into the car while the top is going down and the windows don't stop. I usually park the car with the top up and the windows down, so when I park the car I just push the interior top up button twice. If I want the windows up when parking I just push the interior top up button once. No need to hold the button until the top and windows are up. I can get out of the car during operation and it doesn't stop the windows or the top. If the top is already down you can press the top down button once and it will toggle the windows up or down. When I come back to the car, as I approach it I press the unlock button on the key fob three times and the top goes down while I get into the car. As I arrive home and start up the driveway I just hit the top up button once and the top and windows go up while I'm pulling into the garage.

I think a lot of thought went into the design of this module and it just really works just the way you would want it to.

Appreciate 0