ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
RPS328ix
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive N26

2007 Bluetooth Compatibility with iOS8

Hi guys. I'm looking at picking up a 2007 Z4 that has bluetooth, but I'm wondering if it will be compatible with my iPhone 6 running iOS 8. Has anyone tested this? I'm guessing the older bluetooth software may not work flawlessly with new phones. Is it possible to update the bluetooth software on the car? I assume this has to be done by the dealer since there is no USB port.

Actually, while I'm on here, I have the same question about navigation -- is it possible to update the maps in this car?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

I have an iphone and on 07 Z4M with navi- the bluetooth in the car supports phone calls but not streaming of music.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I have an '08 Z4 Coupe with the factory BT. It works fine with my Nexus 5 for phone calls. The factory BT does not support A2DP, so there's no way to stream music.

What I did to accomplish A2DP was to install a GROM Audio unit with the BT module. My phone is able to connect to both the car's BT and the GROM's BT simultaneously. I stream music via the GROM and if I received a call, it'll handle calls via the car's factory BT.

You can update your maps by replacing the Navigation DVD. There are apparently some cost-effective ways to source updated maps...

There's a way to update the firmware of the Nav to the latest, but I never needed to do that so I'm not sure how.

Last edited by koruptor; 03-23-2015 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: Clarification.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post
I have an '08 Z4 Coupe with the factory BT. It works fine with my Nexus 5 for phone calls. The factory BT does not support A2DP, so there's no way to stream music.

What I did to accomplish A2DP was to install a GROM Audio unit with the BT module. My phone is able to connect to both the car's BT and the GROM's BT simultaneously. I stream music via the GROM and if I received a call, it'll handle calls via the car's factory BT.

You can update your maps by replacing the Navigation DVD. There are apparently some cost-effective ways to source updated maps...

There's a way to update the firmware of the Nav to the latest, but I never needed to do that so I'm not sure how.
Could you post up the specific model details on that GROM unit? Sounds like a good way to handle it. I'm sick of my ugly 3.5mm cord laying everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #5
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn_ View Post
Could you post up the specific model details on that GROM unit? Sounds like a good way to handle it. I'm sick of my ugly 3.5mm cord laying everywhere.
The one I purchased was the USB3 (SKU: BMWTU3). It will say it's for the BMW/Mini 98-06, but it works for my 2008. Since you have a factory nav, you'll probably go with this one. It mounts in the trunk. For those without nav, you'll go with probably go with SKU: BMWSU3. The only difference between the units, if I'm correct, is the interface plug between the unit and your car.

You'll need to purchase the BT adapter separately.

If you have DSP, you might need the conversion kit. I purchased one, and realized I didn't need it. It's around $70ish so be sure you need it before going through the hassle of a return. From what I understand the DSP cable in the trunk will either be a 6-pin connector or a coax connector. If you have the latter, you will need the conversion kit.

The GROM plugs into the CD-changer connector (3-pin), so if you don't have a CD-changer then you should be fine. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to install this in conjunction with an existing CD-changer.

Side note on iPhone adapter (for direct connections): I have an older model (USB2) I installed in a 5-series. The iPhone adapter worked very well with the exception that if an iPhone was not connected to the GROM, an annoying ticking sound occurs. The customer service guys tried to help me with this but replacing the unit and cable didn't help.

When I installed the USB3 in my Z4 I decided to just stick with bluetooth and USB. I've tested an iPhone 6 via BT and it works fine (including steering wheel controls for track change).

Boy, this was long-winded. Hope this helps.
      03-24-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

For the 2015 map update you have 2 options: $200 at the dealer or $15 off ebay. One is real one is a copied CD. They both work the same (you just leave it in your CD player), but choose wisely.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2015, 10:17 AM   #7
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post
The one I purchased was the USB3 (SKU: BMWTU3). It will say it's for the BMW/Mini 98-06, but it works for my 2008. Since you have a factory nav, you'll probably go with this one. It mounts in the trunk. For those without nav, you'll go with probably go with SKU: BMWSU3. The only difference between the units, if I'm correct, is the interface plug between the unit and your car.

You'll need to purchase the BT adapter separately.

If you have DSP, you might need the conversion kit. I purchased one, and realized I didn't need it. It's around $70ish so be sure you need it before going through the hassle of a return. From what I understand the DSP cable in the trunk will either be a 6-pin connector or a coax connector. If you have the latter, you will need the conversion kit.

The GROM plugs into the CD-changer connector (3-pin), so if you don't have a CD-changer then you should be fine. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to install this in conjunction with an existing CD-changer.

Side note on iPhone adapter (for direct connections): I have an older model (USB2) I installed in a 5-series. The iPhone adapter worked very well with the exception that if an iPhone was not connected to the GROM, an annoying ticking sound occurs. The customer service guys tried to help me with this but replacing the unit and cable didn't help.

When I installed the USB3 in my Z4 I decided to just stick with bluetooth and USB. I've tested an iPhone 6 via BT and it works fine (including steering wheel controls for track change).

Boy, this was long-winded. Hope this helps.
It was helpful, thank you!
Appreciate 0