ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #1
Crystallized
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Location: Hacienda Heights, CA (20 minutes east of Los Angeles)

Brake Light + DSC + Flat Tire Indicator = All Yellow, HELP!?

So I had all three lights come on at the same time while I was driving. This has been an ongoing issue for a few months and it seems to go away after awhile. If I shut off the car and restart it, the lights go off again and everything is normal.

It doesn't change my driving at all, however the book says if the BRAKE + DSC lights up yellow and stays on, then I have a DSC system malfunction and I need to bring it into BMW.

The Flat Tire Indicator also comes on when this happens. Nowhere in the book does it tell me what it means when all 3 come on. It just tells me what it means if the BRAKE + DSC comes on and then it tells me what it means if the flat tire indicator light comes on and stays yellow (which means there's a malfunction with that system too).

I brought the car to BMW and they were unable to find what the problem was, and were unable to replicate the problem.

I'm thinking it's a loose wire somewhere, however if it is loose and stays on, but when I turn off the car and back on, it goes away....it doesn't make sense.

Anyone have similar experiences? And what did you do to fix it? Maybe some one here can tell me where those wires are, so I can see if they are loose/exposed?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Pontio
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

it sounds like you could possibly have a binding caliper. or maybe a wheel speed sensor is breaking down.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
narcolo
Rep
Drives: E85 E89 Z4

have them check the steering angle sensor. I just had mine fixed, same symptoms. Hope you are under warranty!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
Crystallized
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
Location: Hacienda Heights, CA (20 minutes east of Los Angeles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcolo View Post
have them check the steering angle sensor. I just had mine fixed, same symptoms. Hope you are under warranty!
Funny you should mention steering. I had my entire steering column replaced because my power steering went out (thank god for extended warranties). You're probably right about the steering angle sensor, though I would like to know...what does this sensor do (besides monitor the steering angle? lol)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
vachss
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 Coupe

The steering angle sensor is one of the inputs for the DSC system. From the steering wheel angle and the wheel speeds it can figure out how fast you should be turning. If the numbers don't add up you must be sliding - and the DSC does its thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #6
CalZ4M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vachss View Post
The steering angle sensor is one of the inputs for the DSC system. From the steering wheel angle and the wheel speeds it can figure out how fast you should be turning. If the numbers don't add up you must be sliding - and the DSC does its thing.
What he said....the steering angle sensor is an integral part of the DSC.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #7
RCNet
Woof!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Ti Silver Z4 M Coupe

Time to dredge up an old thread. Tonight I was plagued by the same issue in my '06 Z4MC with the ABS, BRAKE, TPS, and DSC indicators all on. I've got the bonus "feature" of my speedometer reading zero all the time. I brought up the NAV sensors diagnostic screen and the wheel sensor reading remains 0 while I drive around. I'm guessing I'm in need of a new wheel sensor myself.

Oh, one more thing I noticed. If I get the RPMs too high, the car drops into "limp home" mode.
      08-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Bob D
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z 4

Garage List
2006 Z4 roadster 3.0i  [7.00]
2006 325I  [0.00]
Just had the same thing on our 06 Z4 it was the wheel senser just had the rear tires replaced. took it to the dealer fixed no problem