ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-12-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
Z4Fam
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Smile How many times do you open/close your top?

Hey fam!

Just curious, how many times a day (or week) do you operate the soft top?

I just purchased a Z4 and kinda paranoid of the roof malfunctioning even tho its like...brand new!

Is there any recommendations to how many times you can use it a day? heh

Thanks guys!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Open and close the top as you see fit and don't worry about the mechanism. It's very robust. If you park the car in a sketchy area, think it might rain before you get back or spot a pigeon eyeing your seats, just close her up and drop the top again when it's time to go.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Everyday it's not raining I'd only suggest catching it with your hand while closing to keep it from slamming down
      03-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Once in the spring it goes down and once in the fall it goes up.
Don't drive it in the rain.

The odd cool morning or evening I may wimp out and put it up.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      03-13-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Everyday it's not raining I'd only suggest catching it with your hand while closing to keep it from slamming down
That's a good idea. I've always wondered why that thing slams so hard.

As long as it's over 55F and it's not raining, I'm using the car as a Roadster.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

None... my motors been dead for 3 years...

Actually I manually open it once or twice... I lied

The one year I didn't garage my car we had like a lot of snow and it sat under snow for long time... motor died after that spring
      03-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That's a good idea. I've always wondered why that thing slams so hard.
There are some elastic pieces that wear out over time. I think several of us have ordered the parts, but it's such hell to install, we just decided guiding it down gently with our arm was just fine.

If you search for RA 54 34 217 you might be able to find it. I have a PDF of the installation process if you need it.
Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #8
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

^^ I put those straps in a while back, they are indeed a pain in the ass to install. Even worse, the straps mount to the plastic inside the roof, which on mine eventually cracked off and became useless damn you 11 year old plastic
      03-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Never
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Before my 2006 Z4 M Roadster, which I bought in 2012, I had an S2000 for 13 years. I had to replace the roof at 10 years because the top started tearing where the folds were. I kept the top down all the time unless it was raining, which in San Diego is only a few weeks a year, including in my garage overnight. The auto upholstery shop that replaced my top told me that it is not a good idea to keep a convertible top down for long periods at a time because the fabric will tend to shrink, and the folds will weaken and tear, which is what happened in my case.

On my Roadster I always put the top up in the garage and any time it is parked. Maybe BMW uses better top material than Honda, but going on 11 years and my Roadster top is showing no signs of deterioration. YMMV.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 05:52 PM   #11
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
The auto upholstery shop that replaced my top told me that it is not a good idea to keep a convertible top down for long periods at a time because the fabric will tend to shrink, and the folds will weaken and tear, which is what happened in my case.
YMMV.
So choosing hardtop for the winter is not a good choice for the fabric of the roof?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #12
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
probably a dozen times a year or so. it's always sunny down here,and it becomes the enemy(so to speak) after a while.
      03-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
I bet I open and close my top 8 to 10 times a week down here is sunny and warm Charleston. I have been doing this since I purchased the car in 2011. No issues so far. It stays garaged and sees minimal nasty weather, so I'm assuming my motor is mostly dry and not rusted out, and the drains are clean. YMMV
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
So choosing hardtop for the winter is not a good choice for the fabric of the roof?

Thank you.
The original owner of my car, a former member on Zpost, had a hardtop which he apparently used in the winter in the San Francisco Bay Area, where it rains a lot more than down her in sunny San Diego. My top has some white streaks which won't wash out that I can only assume is due to mildew from being folded for months in a damp environment or from storing when the top was still damp. I have a top recoating kit that I just haven't gotten around to applying that should take care of that. Also, there was a narrow strip on the body around the rear of the cockpit where the hard top presumably sat that required buffing out to restore to original.

If I used a hardtop, I would make sure that the top is completely clean and dry before installing the hardtop. Also, applying a good coat of wax in the area where the hardtop sits on the body.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #15
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The original owner of my car, a former member on Zpost, had a hardtop which he apparently used in the winter in the San Francisco Bay Area, where it rains a lot more than down her in sunny San Diego. My top has some white streaks which won't wash out that I can only assume is due to mildew from being folded for months in a damp environment or from storing when the top was still damp. I have a top recoating kit that I just haven't gotten around to applying that should take care of that. Also, there was a narrow strip on the body around the rear of the cockpit where the hard top presumably sat that required buffing out to restore to original.

If I used a hardtop, I would make sure that the top is completely clean and dry before installing the hardtop. Also, applying a good coat of wax in the area where the hardtop sits on the body.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I was ready to buy a hardtop to protect the softop. Here it has most of the year sunny days, but some winter days I leave it outside of the closed parking I have. So i thought it would a good solution. However now you make me have many second thoughts...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #16
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD3S View Post
Thanks for the detailed answer. I was ready to buy a hardtop to protect the softop. Here it has most of the year sunny days, but some winter days I leave it outside of the closed parking I have. So i thought it would a good solution. However now you make me have many second thoughts...
I haven't seen many hardtops on Z4s here in SoCal. Other things to consider with a hardtop: You have to have a place to store it when it's not in use which usually means a dedicated rack and a cover, and you need to have someone else help you put it on and take it off or have a hardtop hoist to do it by yourself. It always seemed to be more of a hassle to me, especially in this climate, but in colder climates or rainier climates it might be good to have.

Here's some items from Roadster Solutions, but the hardtop hoists don't appear to be available from them any longer: http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page192.html#752

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #17
jdoublehcubed
Mechanical Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, Imola Red

Quote:
I haven't seen many hardtops on Z4s here in SoCal. Other things to consider with a hardtop: You have to have a place to store it when it's not in use which usually means a dedicated rack and a cover, and you need to have someone else help you put it on and take it off or have a hardtop hoist to do it by yourself. It always seemed to be more of a hassle to me, especially in this climate, but in colder climates or rainier climates it might be good to have.

Here's some items from Roadster Solutions, but the hardtop hoists don't appear to be available from them any longer: http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page192.html#752
also consider that you can probably replace the roof 2 or 3 times for what a hard top costs. i'd buy a hard top if I still lived in the north east (if I could find one), but I don't think it makes sense at all if you live in a nicer climate (including CA and I would assume greece).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:17 PM   #18
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
also consider that you can probably replace the roof 2 or 3 times for what a hard top costs. i'd buy a hard top if I still lived in the north east (if I could find one), but I don't think it makes sense at all if you live in a nicer climate (including CA and I would assume greece).
When I replaced the top on my 2000 S2000 in 2009 I went with an aftermarket solution that had a glass rear window (that year had a plastic rear window) and had it installed by the shop that's considered the best auto upholstery shop in San Diego. I remember that it ran ~$1,000.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #19
FD3S
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoublehcubed View Post
My scope is to keep the car in mint condition, considering the situation I receive it. I don't want with the hardtop to make more harm than good.
The MZ4 are very rare cars here and I believe that in the near future this TLC will pay off.

I have closed parking on my work and my home and usually I move with my bike or my other car. I don't have a problem with the space.The hardtop I can get it for 600 euros. The used roof you can find it for more than 800 and not in good condition.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #20
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Open and close the top as you see fit and don't worry about the mechanism. It's very robust. If you park the car in a sketchy area, think it might rain before you get back or spot a pigeon eyeing your seats, just close her up and drop the top again when it's time to go.
^This^ Absent the motor getting flooded and failing from corrosion it should outlast the car.
      04-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #21
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Me too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I catch it w/my left hand just before it contacts the windshield frame.
      06-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #22
Ducklakeview
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0Se

If I'm out in mie, the roof is usually down - Unless it's pouring down, light rain I can live with..

Mike
Appreciate 0