ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
Hocken
Rep
Drives: Z4 Cou

Remove the first muffler?

Has anyone tried to remove the first muffler to get some sound ?
At realoem it looks like it would be easy to replace the muffler with 2pcs of 2" pipes...

3,0si
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocken View Post
Has anyone tried to remove the first muffler to get some sound ?
At realoem it looks like it would be easy to replace the muffler with 2pcs of 2" pipes...

3,0si
Euro spec cars have a silencer/muffler as you describe it, US 3.0Si cars have an additional set of catalytic converters instead of the Euro silencers. The following is based on what's been posted on mods to US spec cars while retaining the stock muffler.
1. Replacement of only cats produces a slight increase in volume and rasp under acceleration with idle sounding close to stock.
2. Replacement of the resonator only produces results similar to #1.
3. Replacement of both cats and resonator produces a noticeable rasp and slight to moderate sound volume increase.

Replacement of the cats and resonator with an aftermarket muffler in the tunnel and the removal of the oe muffler appears to produce an exhaust sound which is liked. However, there may be issues with some of the mufflers used sitting to low and sacrificing ground clearance. See http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687247

What type of sound volume / qualities do you like? Rasp or no rasp? .... Keep in mind that a desireable exhaust sound is very subjective and varies from person to person. Some of the above results may be different from your perception of the sound quality. And the ultimate question, how much do you wish to spend on primarily a sound modification as performance improvements are mininal at best?
      05-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Hocken
Rep

Thanks for your answer = )

Do you mean the cats on the headers at your 1,2,3 reference?

That exhaust on your link did sound nice - maybe I should remove the rear silencer but i´m sure that will be too loud...

What sound I like:
Lots of rasp, a bit more volume but still not to noisy when cruising at highway.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocken View Post
Thanks for your answer = )

Do you mean the cats on the headers at your 1,2,3 reference?

That exhaust on your link did sound nice - maybe I should remove the rear silencer but i´m sure that will be too loud...

What sound I like:
Lots of rasp, a bit more volume but still not to noisy when cruising at highway.
Our US cars have two sets of cats, the primaries in the headers which are monitored by the ECU and a secondary set in the tunnel which are not monitored. If rasp is not a concern you might remove your first muffler as you describe it and decide if you like the sound or not. If you still want a little more volume/rasp, then remove the resonator. Cost should be relatively inexpensive and the parts can be easily reinstalled if you go to far. And of course, report back to the forum on your results.
      05-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

if you replace the #2 section with a muffler and keep the OE muffler at the rear you probably wont notice much change - I replaced it with a magnaflow and ran pipes out the back like the link above, love it but yes it's not quiet. It's very tolerable though IMO and a real hoot when you bang on the skinny pedal
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Hey Speddm, Since you've done the magnaflow in the tunnel mod, you would be a good person to ask. How much lower does the magnaflow muffler sit compared to the cats it replaced?

OP, apologies for the thread hijack.
      05-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #7
Hocken
Rep

Yes I know the US cars got cats instead of muffler = )

I will begin with removing the first muffler and keep the rear OE, will be an easy operation and easy to swift back...
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incompatible View Post
Hey Speddm, Since you've done the magnaflow in the tunnel mod, you would be a good person to ask. How much lower does the magnaflow muffler sit compared to the cats it replaced?

OP, apologies for the thread hijack.
no more than 1/2" - I'd say 1/4 is my guess... my car is very low and it touches (NOT DRAGS) every now and again on driveways and such, never had it hit anything on the road
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info! Hope to do this mod.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
StayFNCY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

I removed the two resonators right before the muffler and just running the cat near the headers and the final oem muffler near the exhaust and that's it. sounds gorgeous.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 11:55 PM   #11
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFNCY View Post
I removed the two resonators right before the muffler and just running the cat near the headers and the final oem muffler near the exhaust and that's it. sounds gorgeous.
do you have a sound clip of it? I was thinking of doing the same kinda thing

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0