ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Stromburg Installed

Tough with jack stands but done in an hour and a half - adjustment for extension easy to do with moving rear fascia.

The fit into the cut outs however - no or not much adjustment up as held as high as I could - tighten upper flange bolts as much as could and then lower - SO -

Question is - has anyone bent the mounting brackets to shorten them a bit to move the entire muffler up ?

Would bend the single a bit - shorten it and move the double ones apart a bit to shorten it - could make it tough to remove the mounting bolts after but - who cares

SOUNDS great - great service - fast shipping although tax, suites and shipping to Canada nearly $325
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbvac View Post
Tough with jack stands but done in an hour and a half - adjustment for extension easy to do with moving rear fascia.

The fit into the cut outs however - no or not much adjustment up as held as high as I could - tighten upper flange bolts as much as could and then lower - SO -

Question is - has anyone bent the mounting brackets to shorten them a bit to move the entire muffler up ?

Would bend the single a bit - shorten it and move the double ones apart a bit to shorten it - could make it tough to remove the mounting bolts after but - who cares

SOUNDS great - great service - fast shipping although tax, suites and shipping to Canada nearly $325
Congrats on your new exhaust! I assume you mean Stromung?

The vertical adjustment is a common issue. Check out DKF hangars. They solve that issue and more. Here's more info.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747182

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbvac View Post
I use a jack to lift the tips until it almost touch the rear bumper. Tighten the flange bolts. It will drop about an inch to a perfect height.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

When I talked to Stromung they said they were supposed to hang relatively low by design. I didn't have any trouble getting them as tight as I wanted them to be. I can't imagine them getting much higher. I checked them often for awhile after install the make sure the paint wasn't getting too hot. It was never hotter (or even as hot as) just sitting in the sun.
Attached Images

07-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the replies

Sorry - I did mean Stromung and yes its a great exhaust.

I did exactly what was suggested even did bend the supports a "little"
Pushed them up with wooden blocks to touch the fascia - then I pushed the pipes from the cross pipe UP so when I let it down it pushed the muffler up. The flange bolts are almost horizontal so couldn't pull them up much by tightening the top ones more - so snugged them up evenly on both sides and then let out the wooden props - moved them up 2"

They are out enough to see the wording and high enough to fit the cut-out .

Look as good as I am gonna frig with as too little time to drive - sounds great and with the ESS 445 - goes pretty good as well
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,

Last edited by drbvac; 07-24-2013 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: larger pics
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Can't see your pics bigger than they are but they look good to me!
      07-30-2013, 11:15 AM   #7
IN10SS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster

Do your tips extend evenly? My left side is about 3/4" longer than the right side.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

I just got mine installed on Sat, sounds great.

Tips look even to me. I did a very scientific finger measurement. They came in at 2.5 fingers.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
You can also adjust the rear fascia to compensate a little when you install the lower screws
Appreciate 0