ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Valve Cover Bolt Leak

Guys,

I have a small oil leak coming from a bolt securing the valve cover. I've attached pictures for reference. Would replacing the bolt solve the problem or am I looking at something a bit more detailed? I did have the valve cover gasket replaced about 20,000 miles ago (14 months).

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  122.0 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  125.1 KB
      03-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

See if you can cinch down that bolt a little to see if that stops the dribble.There is a rubber washer under there that may need a little more crush.
While you are at it try the rest of them , there are 15 I believe.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX

Last edited by Steeler; 03-22-2015 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
m3griff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

If you just replaced the valve cover gasket, I would try taking that bolt out and replacing it first. Pretty cheap check. It looks like you have the M54 engine, so I'm not sure of all the issues, but the N52 has Al one-time use bolts that snap pretty easily. You don't have that situation, I guess, but try removing and replacing and see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #4
MetMan
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, 2033 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
See if you can cinch down that bolt a little to see if that stops the dribble.There is a rubber washer under there that may need a little more crush.
While you are at it try the rest of them , there are 15 I believe.
I actually tightened the a couple weeks ago but still had the leak. I tightened a bit more this afternoon based on your suggestion and I think that fixed it. I was so afraid of snapping the bolt previously, I think I left it a bit loose.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3griff View Post
If you just replaced the valve cover gasket, I would try taking that bolt out and replacing it first. Pretty cheap check. It looks like you have the M54 engine, so I'm not sure of all the issues, but the N52 has Al one-time use bolts that snap pretty easily. You don't have that situation, I guess, but try removing and replacing and see what happens.
I was aware of the broken bolt issue which is why I was afraid of over tightening previously. Hopefully, I'm good now.

Thanks for the input.