ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-28-2015, 11:04 PM   #23
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
... How does one tighten the sport button? Mine has become a little loose and wiggles around if i push on it laterally.
Looks like it just has plastic bumps to lock it in.
One or both may be broken or misshapen.

Epoxy is probably your best bet.
      03-29-2015, 05:43 AM   #24
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune sama;[QUOTE=GeorgeT View Post
Actually, you get more benefit with the Sports Package (includes the "Sport Button") in an automatic than in a manual: when activated the steering tightens, the accelerator is more responsive and the shift points in transmission are remapped to shift at higher rpms - not needed in a manual since you control the shift points in a manual.
17639353]You get that as well in the manual, minus the shift points[/QUOTE]

I've driven my car now for about 6,000 miles since December. I live in a place with race-track roads right at the end of my driveway, I still haven't really understood what difference the sport button makes. Yup, the throttle mapping changes, but I'm not sure it makes the car really any faster, I guess it can speed up (3-pedal) shifting. The steering switch to me just makes the car more twitchy than it already is and changes the turn in feel.

Not sure I get the point of the sport button.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 03:07 PM   #25
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Z4 VILLA... he was an instant classic
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #26
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've driven my car now for about 6,000 miles since December. I live in a place with race-track roads right at the end of my driveway, I still haven't really understood what difference the sport button makes. Yup, the throttle mapping changes, but I'm not sure it makes the car really any faster, I guess it can speed up (3-pedal) shifting. The steering switch to me just makes the car more twitchy than it already is and changes the turn in feel.

Not sure I get the point of the sport button.
I think you've actually got it--it makes the response various inputs have "more" input. HP, TQ, nothing changes there. If you're driving an AT car, the shift points change and that's the biggest plus to many.

Otherwise, and on a 6MT, many find the greater sensitivity does just what you have noted--makes it more twitchy. Even on the ///M, where it affects throttle only, I do not find I can modulate the throttle since it turns into an on/off switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007MCoupe View Post
HAHAHA When I was reading through this is exactly what I thought too!
Interesting times they were indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate4641 View Post
Ahh the good old days of VILLA using his post count and join date as a way to "pull rank" on newer, less post whoring members.
Oh, yep, I'd forgotten that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Murder View Post
Z4 VILLA... he was an instant classic
Who can forget JET HOT COATING!
Appreciate 0