ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
MC 357
Private
Armenia
Rep
Drives: R53 Cooper S/I3

Square setup on Z4M

So im looking into a square set up for my Z4M. Specifically the apex racing ec-7 18x9.5 with 265/35/18. Now I know for the front I will need camber plates for clearance, but will this setup work with h&r coil overs or will the spring on that coil over interfere with the wheel/tire?

Thank in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
UntzUntzUntz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M2 Comp

Hey MC,
Take a look at http://www.myapexparts.com/bmw-z4-m/ at the red ///M. The car has arc-8's 18x9.5 square setup but the ec-7's and arc-8's have the same offset so it's the same setup you're looking for. Now I'm not sure what suspension this guy is running but you might need spacers to clear the spring... We know it's possible though!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You can use combinations of camber plate, camber bolt, and offset to achieve desired effect. Any combinations of 2 out of the 3 will get you pretty darn close without rub. But there's no real way to tell unless you've already got the springs in.

I'm running GroundControl coil overs with linear springs up front and small spring collar. I'm also squared at 275 all around using 4 rear OEM MZ4 rims at 30mm offset, but I've got camber bolts underneath that brings the outside of the wheel away from the fender lip and I've also got about -3.5º of camber. Camber alone won't do it. The camber bolts (move wheel closer to strut) in conjunction with low offset (move wheel away from strut) results in maximum clearance in minimum amount of space.

With camber plates alone, you may be able to get away with higher offset wheels up front. As is right now, I'm fully "squared up" in that I can rotate the front to rear at will to extend the life of my tires. If the offsets are different front to rear that may not be a possibility.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #4
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You can use combinations of camber plate, camber bolt, and offset to achieve desired effect. Any combinations of 2 out of the 3 will get you pretty darn close without rub. But there's no real way to tell unless you've already got the springs in.

I'm running GroundControl coil overs with linear springs up front and small spring collar. I'm also squared at 275 all around using 4 rear OEM MZ4 rims at 30mm offset, but I've got camber bolts underneath that brings the outside of the wheel away from the fender lip and I've also got about -3.5º of camber. Camber alone won't do it. The camber bolts (move wheel closer to strut) in conjunction with low offset (move wheel away from strut) results in maximum clearance in minimum amount of space.

With camber plates alone, you may be able to get away with higher offset wheels up front. As is right now, I'm fully "squared up" in that I can rotate the front to rear at will to extend the life of my tires. If the offsets are different front to rear that may not be a possibility.
Do you think the 275 tires are pinched too much on the 9" wheels? Also are you running 35 or 40 profile tires? No spacers at all?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 01:12 AM   #5
The HACK
Rep

Yes, 35, no.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 02:33 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
Yes, 35, no.
Which tire? A6? If so, don't track tires have different use parameters than street tires?

I found the 275/35 on the 9" pinched. Tried all kinds of pressures. The inner and outer were way off in temp (high middle much lower outside) from the middle and traction was awful. PSS tires. Put that same tire on a 9.5, works well. Even temps. Traction! Confidence.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #7
The HACK
Rep

Maxxis RC-1.

I'll be honest. I don't have the ideal set-up. If Apex wants to sponsor me and give me a set of EC-7 18 x 10 et 25? I'd run that all day long.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
intoflatlines
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MR, E34, E30

Quote:
Maxxis RC-1.

I'll be honest. I don't have the ideal set-up. If Apex wants to sponsor me and give me a set of EC-7 18 x 10 et 25? I'd run that all day long.
So 18x10 +25 with 275s will fit without rubbing? That's... surprising. I suppose the -3.5* of camber helps with that. I have -2.7* I wonder if it will fit. I guess there's only one way to find out...
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2015, 03:15 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines
Quote:
Maxxis RC-1.

So 18x10 +25 with 275s will fit without rubbing? That's... surprising. I suppose the -3.5* of camber helps with that. I have -2.7* I wonder if it will fit. I guess there's only one way to find out...
You could ask Apex for their opinion as well.

9.5" wheel would be better than the 9" too. Not optimal, but better.
Appreciate 0