ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-13-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
PrinceMiro
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0i

A/T 2nd to 1st downshifting problem. Seriously need help.

The car: 2003 E85 3.0 M54

The problem: There is a bump when I'm coming to a stop and the car downshifts from 2nd to 1st gear. The car kind of bumps/lunges forward a bit almost as if another car very softly rear ended me. I have been experiencing this problem for at least 2 years now.

Useful info: Earlier this year, I installed the TMS Underdrive Pulley kit and changed the coils and plugs. Before I began the installation, I disconnected the battery. The job took me about 2 hours. After reconnecting the battery, I noticed that the bump between 2nd and 1st was gone. I didn't run into the problem again until 3 months later.

I'm assuming that when I disconnected the battery, the EGS unit was reset and during the 3 months, it was adapting to my driving. At the end of the 3 months I'm guessing it learned how I drive and that's when the bump returned.

I've researched this as much as humanly possible and have found almost nothing.

Could this be a problem with the EGS unit, which may need an update to fix the problem?

Is it a sticky solenoid?

I seriously need as much help as I can get with this because I'd like to fix this problem asap.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0