ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #23
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep
Drives: 2006 Imola Red Z4 M Roadster

Should be getting my V2 step headers any day now Starscream to.

will install pronto and then dyno. Cheers
      03-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #24
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ///M Roadster + E92 335i 6MT

Did you get any info they have arrived in the US?

So far I haven't heard anything

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 10:24 PM   #25
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Did you get any info they have arrived in the US?

So far I haven't heard anything

Just thought I'd tease you a little JK, know I haven't heard anything. I'm thinking about calling them tomorrow to get the scoop. On the dyno today...I could here this poor motor saying let me F'n breath biatch
      03-31-2011, 05:43 AM   #26
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Jack at custom performance just emailed me an hour ago saying Supersprint Italy have delayed them (again) and it will now take longer,
Hopefully only another week before they ship from Italy,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #27
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

04-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #28
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Jack emailed me saying they are shipping as of yesterday from Jared a SS NA,

Did you hear anything similar? I "should" have my tracking number by noon but he said they are in the USA and shipping direct from Supersprint,

(I ordered these at the start of Feb 2011 lol, Can't understand what took 2 months but whatever,)

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #29
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Yup got my tracking number,
They will be here Tuesday

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #30
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Yup got my tracking number,
They will be here Tuesday
yep got mine as well...UPS set for Monday Perfect timing, as I have my car at the shop now. I had to have my EWS aligned after having my DME reflashed for headers and new tune file. I'm also replacing my fuel pump and filter because of a lean out condition at the top of the rpm band. Should be fun to see the new numbers with headers and proper fuel system. Cheers
      04-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #31
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Got the SS V2 step headers installed today and I couldn't be happier. The butt dyno confirms a nice power addition from 6000-8000....it pulls so nice!! The sound of the headers when I first stepped into it made me giggle like a little girl no one saw me...i think. No codes and no problems, just pure joy. The sound is amazing, with a deeper note and slightly more drone....in a good way. burbles and rumbles sound nice and the rasp when you redline it is loud and mean. Cheers
      04-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #32
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Nice! Going to try to get mine on tomorrow,

What was your angle on the post cat 02's and EGT?
Did you modify your section 1 pipe?

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:03 PM   #33
cmark8
M52, M62TU, S50US, S54, S65
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT, E36 Touring MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tdog View Post
Got the SS V2 step headers installed today and I couldn't be happier. The butt dyno confirms a nice power addition from 6000-8000....it pulls so nice!! The sound of the headers when I first stepped into it made me giggle like a little girl no one saw me...i think. No codes and no problems, just pure joy. The sound is amazing, with a deeper note and slightly more drone....in a good way. burbles and rumbles sound nice and the rasp when you redline it is loud and mean. Cheers
"You think"... Hahaha! The SS v2 paired with my s/c m3 sounds like the end of the world. People tell me they can hear me from 3 blocks away ... Congrats and keep redlining!

1995 E36 M3 USA / 2002 E46 M3 SMG / 2008 E90 M3 6MT
1996 E36 328i Touring 5MT / 1998 E36 323Ti M Sport 5MT
2002 E39 540i Protection
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #34
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmark8 View Post
"You think"... Hahaha! The SS v2 paired with my s/c m3 sounds like the end of the world. People tell me they can hear me from 3 blocks away ... Congrats and keep redlining!
hahahha. Thanks! yes they are loud and wow do they sound nice. Cheers
      04-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #35
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Nice! Going to try to get mine on tomorrow,

What was your angle on the post cat 02's and EGT?
Did you modify your section 1 pipe?

Thanks! and congrats on you're full SS system I haven't changed anything except my tune was updated to a new version and adjusted for catless headers. Thanks ESS! Basically the headers were just connected to my stock section one with no modifications. I did move my EGT (gauge)probe and wide band probe just aft of the headers as I didn't want any modifications made to the headers..just in case. I didn't turn any wrenches, but the guy that did is a true pro..... John at Alpine Autoworks in Memphis is a class act. I just learned that emission requirements are exempt in Incline Village, NV Lake Tahoe...so I should be fine. If not, then I will have to modify section 1. Cheers Starscream
      04-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #36
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! and congrats on you're full SS system I haven't changed anything except my tune was updated to a new version and adjusted for catless headers. Thanks ESS! Basically the headers were just connected to my stock section one with no modifications. I did move my EGT (gauge)probe and wide band probe just aft of the headers as I didn't want any modifications made to the headers..just in case. I didn't turn any wrenches, but the guy that did is a true pro..... John at Alpine Autoworks in Memphis is a class act. I just learned that emission requirements are exempt in Incline Village, NV Lake Tahoe...so I should be fine. If not, then I will have to modify section 1. Cheers Starscream
Congrats Fr8dog! Glad everything worked out for you. I'm still trying to digest what's happened to my car at the moment. It's all good from a technical and power (God yes) perspective... but it's the sound I'm having to come to grips with.
I'll have to give it some miles b4 passing judgment.

So you did relocate everything, but to the area just past your headers? Not sure what u meant in your post. The tune is taking care of the rear O2's then?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #37
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Congrats Fr8dog! Glad everything worked out for you. I'm still trying to digest what's happened to my car at the moment. It's all good from a technical and power (God yes) perspective... but it's the sound I'm having to come to grips with.

So you did relocate everything, but to the area just past your headers? Not sure what u meant in your post. The tune is taking care of the rear O2's then?
Thanks! No, I didn't relocate anything as far as stock car sensors. The only relocation was done for my EGT gauge probe and wideband gauge probe. The headers were just added to stock section 1 and the bungs were already in place. My ESS tune has provision for catless headers. Emissions should not be an issue....according to friends.
      04-20-2011, 09:59 PM   #38
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
I know a few of you guys are running these headers. I called ESS and was told I may or may not have any issues??? Those of you that are running theses......are you or did you have any problems(o2 sensors)If so, how did you fix the problem? Thanks a bunch! Cheers
I guess I answered my own question:
      04-20-2011, 10:06 PM   #39
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post

I didn't respond to the sound question. I think the sound is something special and will separate your car from everyone. It definitely is different, but it sounds very exotic! I think you will like it. Cheers brother. Yep, the tune takes care of the rear O2 sensors. The installer did nothing to the oem sensors, only my gauge sensors.

Last edited by fr8tdog; 04-20-2011 at 10:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #40
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm doing mine right now,
Started this morning and taking a little break,

To be honest its not too difficult, The header copper nuts were not as much of a PITA as I'd expected,
I could however see how this would be difficult on a E46 M3, Esp those last 3 cylinders,

I have everything off from headers to mufflers,
The entire system will be replaced,

My setup (for those not in the know)

Supersprint V2 Headers (new) into OEM Euro Cat pipe (used) into Supersprint X-Pipe (new) into Supersprint Powerloop Mufflers (already on the car)

I will try to take some pics here and there but I won't be doing a DIY pic thread,
I am alone doing this and can't stop every 5 seconds to take a pic
People already have DIY's up there so its not a huge loss,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 12:18 PM   #41
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

I have a lot of respect for people that do there own work I bet your car is going to sound amazing!! I've always enjoyed tinkering with mechanical stuff, but I have a bad track record of breaking shit Although I did manage to replace my dish washer motor without flooding our kitchen. Look forward to the result Starscream.
      04-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #42
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Finished

WOW what a difference, Beautiful throttle response!
Noise has changed a bit, more on that in a sec,
But the power increase is very noticeable, Its not one of those butt dyno I think I can feel it thing, You can really feel the difference,

It actually makes the car much smoother to drive, easier too,
Doesn't bog down at all, it also has must smoother and instant throttle response,

It obviously adapts to the headers, as on my way home it was feeling even more powerful,

The sound is deeper on start up, my setup as above there is ZERO drone, you can't even make it drone even if you try,
It changed it pitch a lot, Its a lot more raspy and "wet" sounding, not tinny and zingy like before,
I know it sounds kinda weird but it actually sounds "Italian"
Awesome noise, Very very exotic sounding, and nice throttle blips and spits when you come off the gas,

EXPENSIVE mod, not sure if it was all worth the $$,
But cool none the less,

You really do see the quality of supersprint when everything bolts up first time with zero adjustment,
I did get some pictures, some interesting ones too,
and a very well documented look at that holy grail Euro Cat pipe for you all to see,

I'll make my own thread later when I upload the photo's and stop hijacking this thread

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #43
Starscream
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I have a lot of respect for people that do there own work

Thanks dude,
I have always done everything for my car (and other peoples lol)
Just seem to have a thing for it,

It can be annoying, and some jobs you wish you had never started (4.10 gears lol) but the way I feel is that nobody is going to do it like me, Or put the care and time into it like I will,
At least when I do my own jobs I know its done right, I find it hard to put that much trust into someone else to do the same,
Must be an only child thing, I've always been this way, I hate to delegate, I just do it all myself,

Imola Red Roadster
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #44
fr8tdog
International Bar Hopper
Rep

Quote:
Thanks dude,
I have always done everything for my car (and other peoples lol)
Just seem to have a thing for it,

It can be annoying, and some jobs you wish you had never started (4.10 gears lol) but the way I feel is that nobody is going to do it like me, Or put the care and time into it like I will,
At least when I do my own jobs I know its done right, I find it hard to put that much trust into someone else to do the same,
Must be an only child thing, I've always been this way, I hate to delegate, I just do it all myself,
If you want something done right do it yourself.....no truer words can be spoken! congrats man.