ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

Bluetooth for music

Does anyone know if there is a way to set up bluetooth for streaming music?

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Can't be done with the stock BT setup, unfortunately. Requires the use of an aftermarket module. I installed the Audiovox Mediabridge in my M a few years ago, couldn't be happier. Install was fairly easy for a DIY, as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
I bought something like this, after seeing a post from another forum member:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Bluetooth-A2D...LalSVv_NH_f2_g

It plugs into the factory ipod connector in my glove box. To be honest I haven't tried it yet, but for $5, it was worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZHammer View Post

It plugs into the factory ipod connector in my glove box. To be honest I haven't tried it yet, but for $5, it was worth a shot.
Hmm...very interesting. BUT - what happens when you have your phone paired up to both the car's BT for hands free phone operation and this gadget? Obviously, the phone can only be connected to ONE device.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #5
MZHammer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E85 Z4M, F82 M4

Garage List
2016 M4  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M Roadster  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZHammer View Post

Hmm...very interesting. BUT - what happens when you have your phone paired up to both the car's BT for hands free phone operation and this gadget? Obviously, the phone can only be connected to ONE device.
Haven't tried yet, but the hands free stinks in this car and I usually just use earbuds with a mic for phone calls anyway. I haven't even paired my newest phone with the car and I have had the phone since March.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #6
kihtay
Private
Rep
Drives: 98 hellrot red m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Dominion View Post
Can't be done with the stock BT setup, unfortunately. Requires the use of an aftermarket module. I installed the Audiovox Mediabridge in my M a few years ago, couldn't be happier. Install was fairly easy for a DIY, as well.
Can you give me more info about this?? I have an 06 z4mc that has the stock BT, but you're saying that cannot be used to pair with the phone?
What all did you have to do?
      12-28-2016, 04:33 PM   #7
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihtay View Post
Can you give me more info about this?? I have an 06 z4mc that has the stock BT, but you're saying that cannot be used to pair with the phone?
What all did you have to do?
It can pair with a phone for making and receiving phone calls, just not music.
Appreciate 1
kav49.00
      12-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #8
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have Tune2Air and it streams music through my iPhone and when a call comes through it pauses the music and when the call disconnects the music comes back on.

The quality of hands-free calls via Bluetooth is less than ideal but I have a roadster. With a coupe I would think the sound quality is better with a fixed roof.

Or have earbuds with you as someone wrote earlier and then it has much improved sound quality.

I have looked at Mediabridge and may revisit again.

I have a second Tune2Air in the box unused as I thought my first one died but was fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
kihtay
Private
Rep
Drives: 98 hellrot red m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
I have Tune2Air and it streams music through my iPhone and when a call comes through it pauses the music and when the call disconnects the music comes back on.

The quality of hands-free calls via Bluetooth is less than ideal but I have a roadster. With a coupe I would think the sound quality is better with a fixed roof.

Or have earbuds with you as someone wrote earlier and then it has much improved sound quality.

I have a second Tune2Air in the box unused as I thought my first one died but was fine.
The Tune2Air.. does that have to plug into something in the car? Or how does it sync with the factory stereo system?
      12-29-2016, 09:38 PM   #10
mr_z4mc1m_oz
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe & 1M

I have an Intravee setup. Works perfectly, but I always have to have my iPhone connected to it.

Sold: 3 x 130i (White, Red & Black), Mk4 VW Golf R32, '03 Reno Clio Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihtay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post

The Tune2Air.. does that have to plug into something in the car? Or how does it sync with the factory stereo system?
Yes. It needs the AUX port. Either your car has one or can be retrofitted.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #12
refboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

I am looking at replacing the head unit completely (10 speaker non-dsp) to get bluetooth. Have the pieces now, but having difficulty figuring out how to wire the Axxess ASWC-1 to my Metra wiring harness.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #13
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I'm running a GROM in my car. It allows for BT streaming (audio only; no mic input), and allows direct USB connection to your iPhone or Android device.

If you need to use BT mic you can pair your phone to both the GROM and your OEM BT mic (if you have one installed). The mic in my car sucks a bag of dicks so I pretty much use speakerphone when I need to make a call anyway.

Installation isn't too bad, but it requires you to take apart your trunk carpeting.

And yes, the controls on my radio and steering wheel can skip tracks on my phone.

Good luck!