ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

for top Hifi (Hifi System Professional) adding DSP, need help

Hey guys, I've spent hours and hours and can't seem to find the answer. Btw, yes I have Navigation. 2007 Z4 M Coupe.

I want to upgrade the stereo in the car but keep the factory head unit. I'm looking at factory integration style DSP units but I don't know how I'll get the signal from the car into the unit.

Have I read correctly that from the head unit going into the amp there are two sets of full range, low level stereo signals? IOW, probably full range stereo for the front and full range for the rear channel? Or will I have to try to get a full range signal from the wires going to the speakers, and that doesn't sound easy.

I'm guessing there's low pass to the subs, high or band pass to the woofers in the kick panels, band pass to the mids on the doors and high pass to the tweets? So, four stereo channels, aka 8 channels?

TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 08:27 AM   #2
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I am confused not sure what you are trying to do by your post.

Since you have nav and DSP, I do not think you can remove your OEM amplifier since the DSP resides in the amp and the headunit uses these settings. Could be wrong. The head unit may not work as a standalone.

I do know that you CANNOT replace the head unit and keep the OEM amp. The OEM amp is controlled by the head unit over the 'K' bus.... and 'K' bus emulators are hard to find. They do exist.

I can send you the wiring diagrams, in pdf form', but I need to know all of the specifics of your OEM car setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:03 AM   #3
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

So, since this post I've mostly decided what and how to do it, but I'd still like to know if there's a set of stereo outputs that I can use that go into the DSP/Amp.

Here's what I'm shooting for with the whole system. I am going to install a whole new system minus the head unit. And I now already own every piece I need.

I'm going to install a set of Hybrid Audio component speakers up front, bi-amped with my 4 channel Alpine Amp. I then also have a powered sub. It's basically going to be a 3 way active setup.

I've already purchased a JBL MS-8 and since I hadn't found an answer about the signal coming off the stock head unit, I was planning on using all 8 speaker level outputs as the inputs for the JBL DSP unit.

My understanding is that even if there is a stereo signal coming off the stock head unit, if I use it I'll lose volume control as that's handled by the stock amp/dsp unit.
Appreciate 0