ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-23-2013, 12:03 AM   #23
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Nice. Do tell, how did you find the shipper???
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #24
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Whoo Hoo! Glad it worked out. Now go enjoy that beast!

Great color btw
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #25
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeoluck View Post
Nice. Do tell, how did you find the shipper???
It was someone the dealer who I bought it from had used to good effect in the past. I wasn't too happy with the communication from the broker, but the actual guy in the truck got it here damn fast.

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #26
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

On the topic of shipping, how do you guys do this? Do you buy the car unseen and trust what someone else tells you or go you fly out, test drive/ inspect yourself and then fly home, and transport the car? I know for some , 30k is chicken feed, but for others it's s hell of a lotta green stuff.

Not sure I could buy unseen... I'd probably prefer to not do a PPI rather than not seeing the car at all myself first...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #27
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
On the topic of shipping, how do you guys do this? Do you buy the car unseen and trust what someone else tells you or go you fly out, test drive/ inspect yourself and then fly home, and transport the car? I know for some , 30k is chicken feed, but for others it's s hell of a lotta green stuff.

Not sure I could buy unseen... I'd probably prefer to not do a PPI rather than not seeing the car at all myself first...
I think at this point in my life I may have bought more cars sight unseen then I have seeing them in person. I have also sold a few cars sight unseen, my M5 and my Z3M went to buyers on the East coast (I am on the West coast). My Z3 went to an enthusiast and forum member who already owned a Coupe. They were both extremely pleased with their cars

Really its about asking the right questions... people generally want to be honest, if you live 4,000 miles away and ask if the car would make a 4,000 mile trip they will generally be honest because they dont want any sort of liability if the car doesnt make it. The first thing I do when considering a car that is too far for me to view, is to talk to the owner. Getting to know the owner is very important, if he seems like an honest guy, he knows his stuff, and is a bit of an enthusiast, then already the risk is much lower. Then you get do a little research and have the owner take the car to a PPI shop of your choosing. The mechanics doing the PPI will be in direct contact with you, not the owner.

It is definitely a little gut wrenching at first, because you never know - but it has worked out for me so far. I have seen my fair share of new airports and new areas because of far-away car purchases. And the thing is, if you can get a car for 30k that you would pay locally 40K for, then the risk/reward is a bit different
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #28
strokeoluck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post

I've not done it, but I was seriously considering it when I bought my Z4 MR - wound up purchasing locally from a dealer. My problem was that most of the Z's I was looking at were for sale by dealers, and frankly I have a hard time trusting most dealership salespeople. I know many of the new dealerships are going to more of a customer service sales philosophy, and that's great. But the Z's I found were either for sale by a used car-focused dealership, or a BMW dealership where you could tell they just wanted to move the inventory.

The other thing that burned me a bit is that a good friend of mine (lives out of state) was recently going to purchase a BMW sedan from a dealer in my backyard. On a whim he asked me if I could check it out, even though it was a 99% done deal. I was happy to do so and visited the dealer. Well, there were a number of issues with the car that just wouldn't show up in pictures or in a salesperson's description...because they want to move the car. He passed on the car.

I've sold vehicles and boats on Craigslist before and I am always VERY careful to spell out all the pros and cons of the boat. And I include pics and videos. If you're dealing with a person that you think believes in the Golden Rule, then I think it's a good risk. If not...buyer beware.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 03:22 AM   #29
THE JEDI
Major
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 2.5i

Sweet ride.....really nice enjoy it...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 07:42 AM   #30
Stephny
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladius View Post
Hey guys,

This sort of goes in the off topic forum but I felt like it would get better feedback in here than in there.

A few weeks ago I bought a Z4M from the dealer in Asheville, NC. I've been trying to have the car shipped to Denver from there. The shipper that the dealer recommended is based here in CO, and after speaking with him everything seemed good to go. In fact they found a transport for it in a few days, but the car wasn't going to be able to be delivered by the time I left for vacation, so they held off. It's now been almost two weeks since that and they still can't find a transport for it. They haven't even found someone who can take it, let alone schedule a pickup date yet. They keep telling me that it's not a common route and that's why they're having trouble finding a truck.

This seems unlikely to me. At this point I'm considering flying out and driving it back, but I really don't have the time to do so.

I've never shipped a car before, so I don't know if I'm being unreasonable or just impatient. Should they have been able to find a truck to put it on by now? Should I just try to find another shipper?

BTW they quoted me $975, if that makes any difference in the speed of pickup/delivery.
You might find better Auto Shipping for next time here https://www.autotransportcity.com/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2020, 04:54 PM   #31
MaybeMove12
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Uhhhh. Everything is fine. My friend from Ukraine had an almost similar situation. He ordered the delivery of a car from the USA to Ukraine, and he himself went to travel to Thailand. As a result, when he returned, he was able to find his car in the port of Odessa on the same day. He would very times. He had just a little money left after buying a car in the USA, but he had enough. He read this article and advised it to me. He said there you can find out everything about delivery and it will be easier to order and less likely to be deceived by delivery agents.
I was glad if my friend’s experience helps you in the future.
Appreciate 0