ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Do you keep or sell your OEM parts?

Since I'm letting the mod bug bite me harder and harder, an interesting question came up to myself.

BLUF: Do you keep your OEM parts or sell to get a little money back for more mods (oh, that vicious cycle!)?

On one hand, it makes total sense to keep the OEM parts, for that just in case I need to sell her and part out.

On the other, being single and finally getting back on my feet, I see no reason to ever sell my MCoupe. I've got title in hand, so no more car payments and not looking to get back into that rut anytime soon. I take pride in finally having something that's MINE. Plus I just simply love the damn thing so much, I'd probably shed a tear or 13 if I had to sell.

Being in the military, I move around every 2-3 years, and while the gov't pays for x amount of stuff to ship (and being single I don't have a lot furniture taking up that weight lol), it seems kind of cumbersome to lug around all these parts for the next 10+ years (til I retire and find a place a to settle down).

I don't know...not really looking for a specific answer one way or the other, just curious what everyone thinks! Thanks for taking the time to read my first world problems...lol
      07-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Keep when it is a few. Sell when you know there's no turning back. I guess I need to start selling.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
UltimateDrive3487
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Where do you guys find the best place to buy OEM parts?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDrive3487 View Post
ECS tuning has pictures of all of the parts, which is really nice, but their shipping is a little high.
Tischer, a.k.a. getBMWparts_dot_com, a.k.a BMW of Silver Springs has slightly lower prices and better shipping, but of course, you get what you pay for.

ECS separately bags and tags everything. Even if you buy a dozen of something like plastic rivets, each is separately bagged with the BMW part number. Tischer just throws everything loose into one big sack. Ordered crush washers once and instead got crushed washers. But I usually buy from them anyways, because I'm a cheapskate.

Back to the topic, I've kept the OEM parts just in case.
Love the El Diablos after 2 years.
Anybody want to buy a set of OEM ///M mufflers really cheap?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

I keep everything. I don't do anything that isn't reversible and if I ever did sell the car, heaven forbid, I can fairly easily return it to stock. I've got a lot of parts stacked up but I just deal with it. It's really not worth it to sell the stock parts for a pittance when it would be ridiculously expensive to replace them if I ever needed to.
      07-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
If you're certain that you're keeping the car then it doesn't make sense to hold on to parts that you've decided to replace. I'd say to sell the parts unless you're having doubts.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
I keep everything. I don't do anything that isn't reversible and if I ever did sell the car, heaven forbid, I can fairly easily return it to stock. I've got a lot of parts stacked up but I just deal with it. It's really not worth it to sell the stock parts for a pittance when it would be ridiculously expensive to replace them if I ever needed to.
X2.

Also, many plan on keeping it forever only to later have life change and/or realize it is a poor daily driver. Easy to say now you will keep it forever.

If I really do keep it a long time and in excellent shape, at some point it may be collectible enough that the next owner really wants it as it came from the factory.
      07-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
Z@T
Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Vantage, 997, ModelX

I replace OEM with OEM.

OEM Aero
OEM Steering
OEM 313 performance
etc..

Depends on the space..

I keep the small parts but 107 Wheels, Fugly OEM bumper had to go..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

I keep everything for a couple of reasons. The old part becomes a backup part, and I can reverse anything I do back to OEM in case I sell it.
This has been a good idea for me as this is my third Z4. the first was a new 2003 2.5i. Which I later traded for a 2004 3.0i and again traded for a used 2006 3.0si. All changes I made were not only reversible, but, so far have been compatible with the newer car. If I ever trade up for an M Roady, Ill have some compatible parts to move with me.
      07-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Keep when it is a few. Sell when you know there's no turning back. I guess I need to start selling.
Yeah, that's basically my school of thought as well! Right now, I don't have much ( just the front sway bar), but I will before next track season lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDrive3487 View Post
People like us who sell our OEM parts. lol ECS and Tischer are good places. I think I've gone with Tischer when getting anything OEM since, as stated, ECS is pricy in shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAMz4 View Post
I keep everything for a couple of reasons. The old part becomes a backup part, and I can reverse anything I do back to OEM in case I sell it.
This has been a good idea for me as this is my third Z4. the first was a new 2003 2.5i. Which I later traded for a 2004 3.0i and again traded for a used 2006 3.0si. All changes I made were not only reversible, but, so far have been compatible with the newer car. If I ever trade up for an M Roady, Ill have some compatible parts to move with me.
I like the idea of having a replacement. Never thought of it from that angle.
      07-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
jrainlay
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
I keep for all the reasons cited above, although my wife hates the clutter in the garage!
      07-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

I try to only use OEM mods on my car so that mods dont detract value from the car - so when it comes time to sell I can sell as-is without having to remove/replace parts and revert to stock etc

Also depends how highly modified it is but I guess overall I dont spend enough on mods to worry too much and the mods I do buy are OEM or OEM+ and dont lose value so I dont mind selling them with the car. Full track mods, big expensive wheels etc would be worth keeping stock parts in case you had to sell but overwhelmingly, the stuff I mod my car with are subtle things, features the car was not fitted with that I retrofit or etc... stuff of this nature can add value versus most mods which detract value.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #13
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

i keep my parts as well. i sold the oem brakes simply becasue i am never putting the stock ones back on.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
i keep my parts as well. i sold the oem brakes simply becasue i am never putting the stock ones back on.
Or because you mod the oem parts too.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

I keep my OE parts, simply like many has mentioned above, I'll be able to return to stock one day. Some times, if you keep a car long enough, you might want to de-mod it. As different parts/mods become available, one might want to start fresh with a clean OE car. Drive it for a few months and plan for a new chapter.

Or just want to sell it since I don't really believe keeping it forever.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #16
papitosabe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 Coupe

If I sell this car, I will regret is one day. If you know you MAY sell, keep everything, if not, sell it. If you sell the rims and other stuff, use that money to prebuy oil for the next 3 oil changes, filters, the windshield weatherstrip, paint chip fix kit, other fluids, brake pads/rotors, whatever you can....that way its not such a headache when the time comes to maintain/fix/repair...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #17
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I've modded every car I've ever owned, usually with aftermarket wheels and tires, intake and exhaust systems, and shocks and springs, going back as far as the 1974 Celica GT that I bought new. I've always saved all of the OEM parts for all the reasons stated above.

On my last car, a 2000 S2000 which I kept for 13 years, the stock exhaust hung in my garage suspended from hooks for 12.5 years. The neighbor who bought the car brought his brother and the two of them walked it over to his house. They also got the stock airbox, front sway bar, and 16" wheels.

When I bought my Z4M the original owner had installed H&R Sport Springs but no longer had the OEM springs. I bought a set from someone here just in case I ever want to take it back to stock.

I've seen people cut the stock exhausts off cars and dump them in the trash when they install an aftermarket exhaust. It always seemed like such a waste to me. Someone, somewhere, probably ends up paying big bucks for a stock exhaust system to restore his car 25-30 years later.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2013, 04:11 AM   #18
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I'm keeping all my parts. Maybe I'm too lazy to sell them :P Although they take up a lot of space.......
Also, the parts that came of are mostly abundent on the 2nd hand market; everybody installs different body kits, exhausts, coilovers, bbk's, so they all have those parts lying around. Maybe a stock bumper is easily sellable if in good condition.
Like SD Z4MR said: exhausts get dumped. I've 'bought' a rear silencer for a pack of cookies... I'm going to cut it open to see if I can mod it to get better flow and larger pipe diameters....

I don't think I'd ever sell my car. But say I do, is it worth all the trouble to take off all the mods and sell them seperately?
I mean, I'd have to disassemble the diff to take out the quaife lsd, disassemble half the engine to take out the SC and Schrick cams etc etc. Headers are also a pain to install....

Maybe the front bbk is worth disassembly (cause it's an easy mod), but the rear bbk is completely custom. Not that it's irreversible (I've made it so that it is), but still.... who wants a custom bbk for which you'd have to adapt the rotor's with a lathe if you want new ones.... For me it's a breeze, but maybe not for the average guy.
Wheels and coilovers are of course very easy to switch.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0