ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-10-2024, 04:20 PM   #7701
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
"When asked by Unherd.com if Wikipedia can be trusted, he replied: ‘You can trust it to give a reliably establishment point of view on pretty much everything."

Larry Sanger
Co-founder Wikipedia
Dig deeper. Be more present when you read.
      04-10-2024, 04:23 PM   #7702
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post

Imagine if you will a natural disaster like a forest fire or hurricane with with tens of thousands of EV's trying to charge along the evacuation route.
Do EVs and natural disasters not currently coexist?
      04-10-2024, 04:34 PM   #7703
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Do EVs and natural disasters not currently coexist?
Once again you go for the gotcha and not doing your home work.

Researchers sound alarm about electric vehicles and hurricane evacuations

The Princeton study concluded that due to all these issues, a wholesale adaptation of electric vehicles is not recommended for disaster-prone areas like Florida. It “may not be economical” for utility companies to prepare for these rare disaster scenarios and the peak demand it would entail, they found. As a result, the Princeton researchers concluded that hybrid vehicles could be a happy medium of helping reach climate goals while keeping Floridians safe during a disaster. Or for a family with two vehicles, it might make sense to keep at least one non-electric vehicle (or a hybrid), even once electric vehicles reach critical mass in the future.
https://www.wlrn.org/news/2022-09-29...ne-evacuations

Honestly it pains me to see you get yourself in these situation.
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1576.00
M5Rick61461.50
      04-10-2024, 04:36 PM   #7704
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderspice View Post
Dig deeper. Be more present when you read.
Dig and be more present...uh, yeah.

It's known.
It has been known.
Most everyone knows it. I say most.

"You believe what you want to believe, but you don't have to live like a refugee"
M5Rick61461.50
kyriian890.50
      04-10-2024, 05:19 PM   #7705
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
Some serious copper there, wonder how long until they get nicked.
Looks like good ol' Blighty there so won't be long before that copper wire ends up in a scrap dealers hands
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1576.00
      04-10-2024, 05:23 PM   #7706
eugenebmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G82 M4, G22 M440, E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
You're being selective to try to prove a point. Here's the rest of the story...

BMW Canada is offering the following for ICE cars for the same 24 months at 1.49%:

2024 X1 xiDrive28i
2024 X3 xDrive30i
2024 330i xDrive Sedan
2024 M440i xDrive Coupe & Cabriolet

These are all better rates for ICE cars than the 1.99% for EV's over the same 24-month term.

Frankly, I think this thread should be move to the Off-Topic board because much of the conversation has more to do with the debate about climate change than about actual cars.
Be honest, I don't think those ICE models are popular choices for customers to pick. For me I will pick Japanese SUV or Sedan any day for the same amount of money I have to pay.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61461.50
      04-10-2024, 05:39 PM   #7707
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:

Honestly it pains me to see you get yourself in these situation.
Go back and read what got us here.
      04-11-2024, 05:39 AM   #7708
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

He keeps saying recycled when he really means turned into black mass that is landfilled or shipped to Africa. Wonder who pays to clean up this hazmat disaster, because the "recycler" just went bankrupt. Wonder how many hazmat gallons of water went into the storm sewer? Remind me, why do EV's kill twice as many people by fire than a shitbox Pinto in a vehicle crash? Maybe the HAZMAT placard needs to be mounted in the EV where drivers can read it.

Last edited by Weather Man; 04-11-2024 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 3
eugenebmw1576.00
M5Rick61461.50
      04-11-2024, 06:43 AM   #7709
murderspice
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Remind me, why do EV's kill twice as many people by fire than a shitbox Pinto in a vehicle crash?
Where did you find this information?
      04-11-2024, 07:54 AM   #7710
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
He keeps saying recycled when he really means turned into black mass that is landfilled or shipped to Africa. Wonder who pays to clean up this hazmat disaster, because the "recycler" just went bankrupt. Wonder how many hazmat gallons of water went into the storm sewer? Remind me, why do EV's kill twice as many people by fire than a shitbox Pinto in a vehicle crash? Maybe the HAZMAT placard needs to be mounted in the EV where drivers can read it.

That’s the “I’ve sharted” guy. Every thumbnail has him looking like he had an accident and has no available clothes with which to wear.

Go to his channel and look at the thumbnails. It’s all the stages of what has happened to him. You can’t unsee it.

Last edited by gblansten; 04-11-2024 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2024, 12:11 PM   #7711
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
'Fighting for our lives': Tesla driver in LA says his car 'dies every day' and he's 'over it' — why the current state of EVs is pushing consumers over the edge
"I thank God every day I chose to do a lease and I did not buy this car."
“We are literally out here fighting for our lives for chargers,” Antrell said.
He claims the recording was made at a Los Angeles Tesla supercharger station that is under equipped — with just five or six chargers, two of which are designated for handicapped use — for the high demand in the area.
“There’s literally six [or] seven Teslas over there waiting to charge their car,” he said. “They’re going to have to fight because they don’t know how to form a proper line. They skip each other.”
He added that most drivers then occupy the chargers for about 45 minutes, or until their batteries are full.
Antrell says he drives a Tesla Model Y Performance — the top-end version of this model with around 285 miles of range — but despite going all-out on a premium EV, he claimed: “My car still dies every day. I’m over it.”
“If you’re driving up an incline, for example, or if you’re driving fast on the highway … your battery depletes extremely fast,” Antrell said. “A lot of people get electric cars and it ends up being something they hate because they’re not getting that mileage that they thought they were going to get.”
Antrell claims he got his Tesla Model Y Performance when it cost around $70,000. In 2024, a Tesla Performance Model Y can cost up to $54,130, while a standard Model Y is going for $44,630, according to Car and Driver.
https://moneywise.com/auto/auto/la-t...dies-every-day

Article speaks for it's self.
Appreciate 4
eugenebmw1576.00
M5Rick61461.50
KRS_SN13714.50
      04-11-2024, 12:36 PM   #7712
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Organizations like the New York State Police had warned against drivers traveling to view the eclipse in cars that couldn't withstand long delays: "If from out of the area, don't use vehicles that can't travel for 10-plus hours without charging - stranded EVs [electric vehicles] in traffic will be towed," Newsweek reports.

Monica of the Livesey family from Massachusetts said: "I got there [Vermont charging station] with 1 mile [of EV range left] only to find out there were about 60 cars waiting to be charged."
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1576.00
      04-11-2024, 12:56 PM   #7713
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Not letting up on Sulfur hexafluoride

Why is Sulfur Hexafluoride the WORST GREENHOUSE GAS?

Which Greenhouse Gas is Actually the WORST? | Hot Mess

Last edited by Car-Addicted; 04-11-2024 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61461.50
eugenebmw1576.00
      04-11-2024, 02:06 PM   #7714
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
'Fighting for our lives': Tesla driver in LA says his car 'dies every day' and he's 'over it' — why the current state of EVs is pushing consumers over the edge
He claims the recording was made at a Los Angeles Tesla supercharger station that is under equipped — with just five or six chargers, two of which are designated for handicapped use — for the high demand in the area.
“There’s literally six [or] seven Teslas over there waiting to charge their car,” he said. “They’re going to have to fight because they don’t know how to form a proper line. They skip each other.”
He added that most drivers then occupy the chargers for about 45 minutes, or until their batteries are full.
Antrell says he drives a Tesla Model Y Performance — the top-end version of this model with around 285 miles of range — but despite going all-out on a premium EV, he claimed: “My car still dies every day. I’m over it.”
“If you’re driving up an incline, for example, or if you’re driving fast on the highway … your battery depletes extremely fast,” Antrell said. “A lot of people get electric cars and it ends up being something they hate because they’re not getting that mileage that they thought they were going to get.”
Antrell claims he got his Tesla Model Y Performance when it cost around $70,000. In 2024, a Tesla Performance Model Y can cost up to $54,130, while a standard Model Y is going for $44,630, according to Car and Driver.

My uncle tells me never to rush into anything, best to wait and see how things unravel.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1576.00
      04-11-2024, 02:16 PM   #7715
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Organizations like the New York State Police had warned against drivers traveling to view the eclipse in cars that couldn't withstand long delays: "If from out of the area, don't use vehicles that can't travel for 10-plus hours without charging - stranded EVs [electric vehicles] in traffic will be towed," Newsweek reports.

Monica of the Livesey family from Massachusetts said: "I got there [Vermont charging station] with 1 mile [of EV range left] only to find out there were about 60 cars waiting to be charged."

Monica Livesey obviously skipped the NYPD warning and self inflicted her own misery.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1576.00
      04-11-2024, 03:42 PM   #7716
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

There was a guy on the Mach E forum on Friday last week from Vermont who warned members not to take their EV to Vermont for the Eclipse. He said the state is well under-infrastructured.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1576.00
SteVTEC299.50
      04-11-2024, 06:13 PM   #7717
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:

Unlike my extended family member who just picked up a Model Y LR, this guy sounds like a terrible candidate for an EV in the first place, and should have done more research. If you're "fighting for chargers every day" then you probably drive long distances, and also don't have a home charger. Hitting Cali Tesla Superchargers you're also paying through the roof at like $0.50/kWHr, which costs as much as filling a gas tank. Meanwhile my extended family member (in San Jose) works for a European company and largely on European time from Cali, so finished their day way early, and went to the local mall/supermarket freebie charger for a few hours while everybody else was still muscling through the middle of their work day.

Edit: It was a slower Level 2 charger (about 10kW), and they went back to check a few times and there were always 3-5 stalls open, so no big deal. Really helps to have an offset work schedule. Working mostly on European time from Cali, your work day is pretty much done by the time everybody else's mornings are just ramping up, so makes it really easy to hit the freebie Level 2 and off-peak Level 3 chargers without the shenanigans.

This guy would have been better off in the new Prius, or heck even an X5 45e/50e where there's only a slight reduction in fuel capacity and highway mileage, and plenty of power and range.

Last edited by SteVTEC; 04-11-2024 at 08:41 PM..
Appreciate 4
gblansten2100.00
eugenebmw1576.00
Efthreeoh17433.50
      04-11-2024, 07:24 PM   #7718
KRS_SN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX,G07

Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
https://news.sky.com/story/new-coal-...-fuel-13112101

But the new coal plants do "not necessarily mean that China is going to increase an equivalent scale of CO2 emissions," said Qi Qin, China analyst for Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air, who also wrote the report.

That's because China is "increasing its renewable power capacities by [the same] scale too", she said.

China has recently built more solar power than the rest of the world combined,

Impressive to say the least. More coal more solar more energy = less fuel poverty
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1576.00
      04-11-2024, 07:54 PM   #7719
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
This guy would have been better off in the new Prius, or heck even an X5 45e/50e where there's only a slight reduction in fuel capacity and highway mileage, and plenty of power and range.
You're most likely correct. IMO the two requirements for most people to have success with a EV is home charging and a second ICE vehicle. I see very few horror stories when these criteria are met. The folks driving hundreds of miles to see the solar eclipse were idiots.
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1576.00
      04-11-2024, 08:23 PM   #7720
SteVTEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
You're most likely correct. IMO the two requirements for most people to have success with a EV is home charging and a second ICE vehicle. I see very few horror stories when these criteria are met. The folks driving hundreds of miles to see the solar eclipse were idiots.
The other big factor is freezing cold weather to deal with where cars are burning up 5-10% of their battery capacity per day just to not completely freeze, and then either won't charge at all, or are sucking down 7-10kW on "pre-conditioning" for hours and still never charge. Then again, a secondary ICE vehicle would cover for that as well.
eugenebmw1576.00
Efthreeoh17433.50
      04-11-2024, 09:36 PM   #7721
carseatsm5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5

Quote:

This is truly my nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 10:39 PM   #7722
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

bought a Kia EV6 GT at 40% discount, it's so good I've sold my M340i today.
Now it's mind numbingly fast and comfortable EV for the family and V8 when i'm driving alone
Appreciate 2
RM72899.00
SteVTEC299.50