ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-20-2016, 03:12 PM   #23
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I try to use OE parts as much as I can. Even when I went through my APR bolts and others it seems that the original was much better. Although some of it may be outsourced the rest of the engineering is built up around those parts, BMW doesn't engineer crap, generally pretty safe to just shell out a little extra.

Sure some have seen success, but that doesn't mean everyone will.
      01-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #24
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
I've got an elring gasket to use on my car! REALLY hope it doesnt leak otherwise ill be PISSED!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
tbh..... the failure rate is such that i won't be using anything other than o.e on the gasket side of things from now on.
Your 2 posts were written 2 months apart. Did your elring gasket start leaking recently?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #25
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Just received one from thebmwminipartstore.
It's the OEM gasket, which comes in a cardboard box rather than shrink wrapped to a card.
That box was placed in another box about 3'x2'x1' with at least 10 sq. yards of packing paper.
That was the only thing in that box. The other parts and oil were in a separate box so as not to damage the gasket.

So if you want an OEM gasket that will arrive unmolested, now you know where to go.
Here's another reference point. I bought an OE gasket from ECS. It was laid on a piece of cardboard, shrinkwrapped. Then placed into a box the size of yours with some bubble wrap placed between the gasket and the top of the box. I didn't order anything else other than the 15 seal washers so I don't know if they would've packed other items separately.
Appreciate 0