ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
SaltyNC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Oil Analysis

As many of you know, I will be doing my rod bearings soon. I wanted to try Ceratec and MOS2 to hopefully provide a small measure of insurance against a spun rod bearing until I could get the bearing swap done. We have discussed the importance of trend lines with oil analysis, and so until I remove the rod bearings, I won't know for certain if the latest drop is due to less wear or that all of the lead has already been removed. This is also a short cycle oil change. All metal wear numbers were lower than normal.

Boron and moly are elevated due to the additives.

Any any rate, I thought you might like to see this sample just before my bearings are to be removed.

33,000 - 7 PPM Lead Castrol 10W60
40,500 - 43 PPM Lead BMW Twinpower Turbo 10W60
47335 - 18 PPM Lead BMW Twinpower Turbo 10W60
50,000 - VANOS work, Techron pre oil change. No sample taken. BMW Twinpower Turbo 10W60

At 50K oil change, added Ceratec. After 2K miles, also added some MOS2.

53365 - 2 PPM Lead (short cycle)

I'm currently running Lubrimoly 10W60 with a little MOS2 added.
Attached Images

Aux Port|LED Interior|LED Strip Trunk|Underseat First Aid Box|Stubby Antenna|Intravee II|BMW Oil Change Kit|Top Down Side Panels|Vibra Technics Engine Mounts|Rogue Trans Mounts|Engine Mount Bolts Upgrade|RS Windblocker|Euro Front Plate|M5 Illum Shift Knob|Supersprint Powerloop Exhaust|Gruppe-M Intake|RPI Scoop|Black Grills|19x8.5 ET35 F 19x9.5 ET22 R Sportline 8s PSS| Besian Vanos|CDV Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
SDCoupe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Seems odd it would go from 7 to 43 and back down to 18 in just 14,000 miles. The 43 reading might be an analysis error. Idk what kind of quality control blackstone has but if we saw that kind of jump (600%) increase with one of our labs we would immediately ask for a rerun to verify the result. Sometimes the equipment gets contaminated from previous "dirty" samples. It will be very interesting to see your bearings.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Using my ouija board and my bearing experience, my thought is that you might be through the lead on a certain number of bearings. OR, maybe you had a few situations (cold start, had to leave quickly) that caused the bearing wear and the lead spike.
Appreciate 0