ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
AusTTin Bob
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Bought an M Coupe, new to ZPOST and BMW's

New guy just saying hi. Very excited about the 2007 M Coupe I bought a few days ago. It was languishing on the bank's dealer's lot in Owasso, OK after being repo'd some months prior (yeah, that one that was on Autotrader for weeks). I live in Austin, my buddy and I were roadtripping out to Barber Motorsport Park in his Elise, so we swung north on the way home from Alabama and took a look. Loved it, bought it, drove it home. No complaints at all and can't wait to get it on the track! I've been tracking my buddy's Elise lately, but one doesn't want to wear out one's welcome, and my trusty old '90 Miata track rat is ready for a break. This looks to be a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Am attempting to attach a pic...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Welcome!
      06-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #3
Leonardo629
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

sweet car, glad to see MC + 1
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTTin Bob View Post
New guy just saying hi. Very excited about the 2007 M Coupe I bought a few days ago. It was languishing on the bank's dealer's lot in Owasso, OK after being repo'd some months prior (yeah, that one that was on Autotrader for weeks). I live in Austin, my buddy and I were roadtripping out to Barber Motorsport Park in his Elise, so we swung north on the way home from Alabama and took a look. Loved it, bought it, drove it home. No complaints at all and can't wait to get it on the track! I've been tracking my buddy's Elise lately, but one doesn't want to wear out one's welcome, and my trusty old '90 Miata track rat is ready for a break. This looks to be a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Am attempting to attach a pic...
OMG, are you kidding me. I live in Owasso,Ok and I had been looking far and wide for a Z4 6speed coupe and just picked one up this weekend. I went all the way to Rochester, NY to get it and it is (of all colors) Montego Blue. I was never seriously contemplating getting the M version but I had never seen this car in town. Where exactly was this car located?

Here is the link to the car I bought.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

It had less than 4500 miles when I picked it up and now has 5700. What a sweet ride.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
AusTTin Bob
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

mhughett: what a deal - we both got to take inaugural road trips in our new M Coupes! I think you likely got the better deal overall. I ended up paying $25k for a car that is mechanically flawless, has 30k miles, and has some cosmetic imperfections that only people on this forum would notice. For a few grand more, you've got lots more warranty miles left! Still, I'm just delighted with my purchase - $25k was pretty near the top of my budget, so a few chips in the paint made it possible for me to get the thing. And some bonehead swirled the paint plenty, but I have a giant arsenal of Griot's Garage balms and unguents to fix that. And some other bonehead resprayed the front bumper cover inexpertly. As in painted the headlight washer covers shut! Figured this out on the way home when I activated them and one couldn't bust up through the paint, and the other made it half way and died. My BMW dealer graciously fixed this (and a busted cup holder) under warranty.

To answer your question, the dealer I bought from was a private shop called Vision Motorsports. Straight shooters so far as I can tell - got the title to me right away, the car is registered and titled to me here in TX now with no problems.

Just had the 30k mile "service I" done, and the dealer says I got a steal. Which is a relief, because a tiny part of my brain kept suspecting that Carfax had missed the fact that this car had been to the bottom of the ocean, or had a dead mobster in it somewhere, or something. So far as I can tell, the reason for my good deal is that, present company excluded, there are not a whole lot of people in the good town of Owasso looking for something quite like this?

Now if I can just figure out how to work the bluetooth phone with no manual...

Question: there is a recess in the back wall of the hatch area. Mine has nothing in it. Does yours? I'm guessing it's for a traffic triangle or somesuch, but I don't know if the North American spec. cars came with them or not.

Bob
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
He said it was on a Bank's Dealer's lot whatever that means haha. This would be one fun car to repo though. Drive it like a getaway car!

p.s. What do you mean by recess in the wall? Bluetooth is going to be a little more difficult for you but not much.

You have to take the plastic panel in your trunk off (the one that is facing away from the drivers seat) and under there is the bluetooth module. You have to get the 4 digit PK# off of it to pair the phone.

Then just put the phone in searchable mode and press the R/T button on the steering wheel and it should pick up the signal and ask for a PassKey.

There are more extensive threads about this in the Electronics sub forum I believe.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #7
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
AustinBob - I think you got a GREAT deal. Keep in mind that the car you bought is a Z4M whereas the other is not.

Someday I'll pick up an M, but until then I'll be rollin in my 3.0L
      06-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Congrats!

Nice Find
      06-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
AusTTin Bob
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Hawkeye: Thanks for the Bluetooth advice. After reading a bunch of other posts on this topic last night, I went out this morning and tried pins like 1111 and 1234 and 0001, etc., hoping to get lucky. No such luck. Panel comes off next.

The "bank's dealer's lot" is actually an oversimplification - very convoluted history I never could quite figure out entirely. But the bank repo'd it, and then had a relationship with some dealer to try to sell some of the cars they repo'd, and then THAT dealer loaned it to a buddy at ANOTHER dealer, from whom I bought it, blah blah blah...

Recess in wall: I mean that there is an indentation at the base of the inside vertical wall at the back of the hatch area. Looks like there are slots into which tabs from a presumable cover would fit. But I've got no cover and no item to be covered. Just a recess, which I've filled with a breaker bar, so I can remove wheels roadside to properly plug flats instead of filling them with M Mobility Goo System...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Hawkeye: Thanks for the Bluetooth advice. After reading a bunch of other posts on this topic last night, I went out this morning and tried pins like 1111 and 1234 and 0001, etc., hoping to get lucky. No such luck. Panel comes off next.
No need to go that route. It is painfull as I heard. Goto your BMW dealer, they will hook up the car to the computer, and will tell your code in minutes.

Oh, and congrats with the car and welcome
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Congrats and welcome to the forum and BMW ownership!
      06-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
pollila
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

dude... you bought a 2007 M COUPE with 30k miles and you only paid

25 GRAND??????

uhhh....u sure it wasnt in some major accident or somehting? why was the front bumper repainted? either theres something amiss there or you got the DEAL OF THE FRIKKEN CENTURY!

well done....

(P.S. that other guys coupe he just bought was only 3.0, not an M and he paid $31,000...... how you figure he got a better deal than you?)
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #13
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollila View Post
dude... you bought a 2007 M COUPE with 30k miles and you only paid

25 GRAND??????

uhhh....u sure it wasnt in some major accident or somehting? why was the front bumper repainted? either theres something amiss there or you got the DEAL OF THE FRIKKEN CENTURY!

well done....

(P.S. that other guys coupe he just bought was only 3.0, not an M and he paid $31,000...... how you figure he got a better deal than you?)
Pollila:

I agree with you that Bob got one hell of a deal on that M Coupe, assuming the issues are nothing major and only cosmetic. Secondly, $31k is what the seller of the car I bought was ASKING, not what I paid. I paid signficantly less. I think my final price was very fair for a car with only 4300 miles on it, in excellent condition and especially when you compare it to the other cars for sale on AutoTrader and ebay. Most with such low miles they are asking $33k-$35k. I just think it was funny that I had to go over 1k miles to get mine and there was an M coupe right under my nose all the time that I never knew about.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #14
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Recess in wall: I mean that there is an indentation at the base of the inside vertical wall at the back of the hatch area. Looks like there are slots into which tabs from a presumable cover would fit. But I've got no cover and no item to be covered. Just a recess, which I've filled with a breaker bar, so I can remove wheels roadside to properly plug flats instead of filling them with M Mobility Goo System...
Congrats, perfect color, and it sounds like you stole that car at that price

I would get a dealer to do a full inspection (pre - purchase inspection, except you already bought it) before you head to the track. Want to make sure everything is as it's supposed to be. They would not look over everything in an Inspection I, so your valves may be in good shape, but there still may be some hidden issues.

The recess is supposed to be there, and you are correct, US cars don't have anything in the slot.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep

Congrats on the car. My parents live in austin. If I ever go visit them, I'll have to look for your car.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 05:07 PM   #16
AusTTin Bob
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Yeah, as far as I can tell, mhughett and I both got great deals for our two cars with their different specs and mileages. And we both got to make roadtrips. Woohoo!

Pollila: No, I'm not absolutely certain it wasn't in a pretty good crash. Nothing on Carfax, but you know how that goes! Front and rear bumper covers have both been repainted. That suggests either 1) big crash or 2) nothing at all. Car drives straight and true, and no one can find any overspray or tells of panel work. But who knows. Let me put this in perspective: for a year and a half, my daily driver has been a 90 Miata with no A/C, race suspension and lowered out on the street, the roof was stolen, a cat peed in it, a tree fell on it and made it sort of lopsided, it started boiling over every time I ran it until I rigged the fans to blow all the time, shade tree mechanic style, the defroster blows leaf crumbs into your eyes and blinds you, paint comes off more every time I wash it (which luckily is only a couple of times a year), etc. etc. Basically, if this M Coupe isn't possessed by demons, I'm gonna be happy.

03BeastCharmer: thanks for recess info. And heck yes it'll get a thorough going over before the track! I'm an ASE certified tech, used to work at a private shop specializing in BMW's, my buddies who are still there race and are BMW fanatics, so it'll spend a bit of time being scrutinized at the old shop soon. The good news is that I am, at this stage, convinced that there's nothing egregious going on with the car - not stolen, hilariously badly crashed, etc. But we'll see...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
Gyrian
3.2 liter grin
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupe

Welcome, and congrats on the pickup!
Appreciate 0