ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #45
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 3.0si Coupe

I think now would be a good time to again ask O-cha, himself, what he does for a living. Fourth time. Just a simple question.

ALSO, I think it would be a great time to ask who else actually knows how to do this, and can actually do it.

I think I can tell the answers to the second question based on the responses so far.

Quote:
I guess people who can't win him in a technical arguement just try to start an attack on his attitude .... its funny
Haha. This is funny. It's spelled "argument" by the way, and I think you were looking for "beat" instead of "win".
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #46
nickpapa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyD View Post
ALSO, I think it would be a great time to ask who else actually knows how to do this, and can actually do it.

I think I can tell the answers to the second question based on the responses so far.
i never really tried it until i saw this thread lol. it was pretty simple but after i did it a few times i kinda scratched my head and wondered why anyone would even want to do it lol (no offense).

Quote:
Haha. This is funny. It's spelled "argument" by the way, and I think you were looking for "beat" instead of "win".
not to insult you but for being a "mechanical engineer with a master's degree" you seem pretty immature
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #47
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
      02-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #48
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
i never really tried it until i saw this thread lol. it was pretty simple but after i did it a few times i kinda scratched my head and wondered why anyone would even want to do it lol (no offense).
Well, I'm glad you have an opinion. I disagree, but hey, that's what these forums are for.

Enjoy yourselves, folks. I'm done with this thread.

MRulz or others who want more info on double clutching, send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #49
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
I think now would be a good time to again ask O-cha, himself, what he does for a living. Fourth time. Just a simple question.
I think the reason he refuses to answer is pretty simple - he's a high school student (or possibly even junior high) and doesn't even work for a living yet. His posts are so incredibly juvenile, they couldn't possibly be coming from the brain of an adult.
      02-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #50
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I believe O-Cha knows what he is talking about. He installed the ESS supercharger w/ meth injection on his car all by himself. Dif people have different communication styles...in this case both sides have been a little abrasive.
2007 M Coupe w/NAV/Premium/Extended Leather, Clearbra, DICE, 4.10 BMW Motorsport Polished LSD, Active Autowerke Gen IV Headers, Supersprint Race Exhaust and X-Pipe, ESS Tuned DME, KWV3 Coilovers, Volk RE30, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Short Antenna, JL AMP, JL 10W7, Valentine V1.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #51
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Quote:

I have no reason to tell you my work, I would prefer to let my previous and current sharing of knowledge give credibility.

Any idiot can claim to be a mechanical engineer over the internet while not even understanding the basic principles of a synchronizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
I believe O-Cha knows what he is talking about. He installed the ESS supercharger w/ meth injection on his car all by himself. Dif people have different communication styles...in this case both sides have been a little abrasive.
Yea, I'm a big boy now!
Honestly I wouldn't be too impressed by that, be impressed by understanding how the supercharger works and it's effect on volumetric efficiency and understanding effective octane, and what knock really is and how to prevent it. Or by being able to read a compressor map and so on.
      02-26-2009, 02:07 PM   #52
rcube
Private
Rep
Drives: z4mc

You know what Double Clutch is for?? When you don't have syncro or when they stop working. Notices...when they STOP working. Not when they are working perfectly. You should know what DC is and have an idea how to do it. But really... save it for when you actually have to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #53
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Forget y'all... I'm gonna one up and do the...

TRIPLE CLUTCH

02-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #54
Burt Reynolds
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

No no- double dutch is more fun- I keed I keed.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #55
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

You people are... *sigh*

Double Clutch
Heel Toe
Rev Matching

You're both correct to a degree, you can double clutch downshift, or you can heel toe downshift.
I would imagine heel toe would use less time then double clutch downshifting.

Heel Toe:

Double Clutch Downshift:

Our daily professions should have nothing to do with our driving capabilities and is irrevelant unless your profession is professional race car driver. You asking what O-Cha does for a living is pointless.

I work in front of a computer for a living, but I have formal driver training and I race my car as a hobby. How are they related? If I jerked off for a living would it be related in anyway to how I drive? Maybe if my wrist hurt.

As far as preventing wearing and tearing on your synchros or any other part of your car for that matter, any part that moves will experience friction and any part that moves will experience "wear and tear". Drive it. You'll have to fix it eventually. Unless, as O-Cha suggested, preventing wear and tear is putting your car in the garage and never driving it.... ever.
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #56
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
you can double clutch downshift, or you can heel toe downshift.
I would imagine heel toe would use less time then double clutch downshifting.

Yes but as I assume you know based on the rest of your post, heal toe actually DOES prevent excesive (key word here scotty, now beam me up) clutch wear and drivetrain damage. Plus you cant brake into a braking zone, downshift, and expect to be able to not to keep going straight if you dont heal toe. I guess you wouldnt have to rev match if you were shifting after braking, but that's still actually bad for the car.
      02-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #57
scottyD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
...excesive (key word here scotty, now beam me up)...
Haha, I just can't help it - I gotta make one more post. Your "key word" is spelled wrong. It's spelled excessive.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #58
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Haha, I just can't help it - I gotta make one more post. Your "key word" is spelled wrong. It's spelled excessive.
How old are you? You nit pick over a typo?
You bitch about how you're so great because you have an engineering degree and a master's?

Do you have some sort of inadequacy complex?
Cuz really... this isn't a my dick is bigger than your dick contest, because clearly I win.

Chill out, son.

And just so we're clear, I don't actually CARE how old you are. Just grow up and act a little more mature, will you?
'03 VW GTI, '99 Audi A4 1.8TQ, '00 VW Jetta 1.85T, '09 BMW 335i xDrive, '04 BMW Z4 3.0i, '01 Audi TT 1.8T, '04 Volvo S80 2.5T
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #59
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Appreciate 0
      02-27-2009, 01:35 PM   #60
Haretakis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Silver Z4 M Coupe

Who cares how other people drive? I double clutch, and sometimes heel toe at the same time. It's fun, unnecessary, and the way I ENJOY driving my CAR. I don't think it's a waste of time seeing as how I do it pretty damned fast now. All a matter of choice really, and no reason to argue. O-cha knows his stuff, but I must say I hope he doesn't treat people in his life with the same attitude and aggression he does on the forums...
Either way I'm glad he still posts cause people who are mechanically ignorant (who have chosen a different profession and education for themselves) like myself benefit from his knowledge.
      02-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #61
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M Roadster

Guys thanks for all of your input and opinion. We should not be rude to each other like this; I find double clucthing more fun for down shifts. Like he said who cares how someone drives. Lets just share our experience and have a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haretakis View Post
Who cares how other people drive? I double clutch, and sometimes heel toe at the same time. It's fun, unnecessary, and the way I ENJOY driving my CAR. I don't think it's a waste of time seeing as how I do it pretty damned fast now. All a matter of choice really, and no reason to argue. O-cha knows his stuff, but I must say I hope he doesn't treat people in his life with the same attitude and aggression he does on the forums...
Either way I'm glad he still posts cause people who are mechanically ignorant (who have chosen a different profession and education for themselves) like myself benefit from his knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #62
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haretakis View Post
O-cha knows his stuff, but I must say I hope he doesn't treat people in his life with the same attitude and aggression he does on the forums...
That's actually a bit of a double standard. I don't because there aren't tons of people masquerading as masters of engineering in real life. Also because face to face it is blatantly obvious who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. I've actually gotten into this exact conversation with people before face to face and it takes all of 30 seconds.

Unfortunately on the net the lines blur and there are far more people who pretend because there are no consequences to it.
      03-01-2009, 11:45 AM   #63
MRulz
Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M Roadster

Man its easy to do DC when there is no traffic and no turns lol. Its a whole different game when one has to do it suddenly in traffic or approaching a corner. I will be honest I have Dc'ed while being in the same gear some times. LOL. Practice makes perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2009, 10:10 PM   #64
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

sorry to bump this with a stupid question: instead of double clutching when down shifting, why not just hold the clutch in and downshift? What difference does the extra pump of the clutch make?

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #65
ryanchua
Z4MC Sapphire Black
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 570-4SL

I recently went with a friend to the track. Just having some fun at an empty corner. A little show of rev match and heel-toe. No video of hand movement but i'll try to get that done in the next time we head to the track.

I've already worked in rev-match, double clutch and heel toe into my daily driving. Usually heel toe applications don't apply much on street as velocity isn't as high on track. It's difficult to HT gently (if you know what i mean). Mostly rev-matching + light brake application when I'm slowing down at the traffic lights.

Don't mind the stupid laughter.

[u2b]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWgl3uvfEt8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WWgl3uvfEt8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/u2b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
Perhaps some of you are confusing rev matching with double clutching.
Double clutch is only needed in a down shift from 2nd to 1st as there is no synchro between these two gears.

You just wasted 3 seconds depressing the clutch and stepping on it again for no reason. You have synchros for a reason. Try it on the race track and see how much slower your lap times are lap for lap.

Heel-Toe is your friend.

BMW.SG - Singapore's Ultimate BMW Enthusiast Community
Appreciate 0