ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Lovebandit64
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Roadster

2008 Z4 3.0si differential fluid change info needed

Hey all, I want to change out my diff fluid but I am not allowed (by my lease) to do it in my driveway (I live in the lower part of a house with my landlord upstairs). I have got the fluid but now I read that I need to buy new plugs for the drain and the fill holes...IS THAT TRUE? Or is just a new drain plug needed and I can reuse the fill plug?

Also, will any make 14mm male hex socket work or do I need something special like this one?: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...lug-tool-14mm/

I also plan to have a local quick oil change place do it for me (I know the manager there) so I don't have to do w/o the car for a day. They said they could do it but they will be doing it with the car over a hole in the garage-bay with the wheels on the ground. Will they have adequate access to the two plugs or does the car have to be off the ground?

I really need answers because I do not want to take the car in to them and have them not be able to do it for some reason or another....

Thanks so much for any insight you can give me.
JC
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You don't need to get a new drain/fill plug, just reuse the old ones. The trunk box makes getting to the fill plug a bit difficult. I have a 14MM Allen Snap-on socket that I use. There's not room to use a ratchet with it because there is no room to attach it to the socket; however you can use a 14MM wrench on the Allen shaft of the socket. The plug is blocked a little by the rear framing, but nothing terrible.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-20-2016 at 06:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      08-22-2016, 08:06 AM   #3
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

It would be a surprise to me if you actually have a drain plug. My coupe's a 2007 and does not have one-- I use a air compressor driven suction device to remove the fluid.
      08-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
Don L
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si coupe

True no drain plug. Had to have the fluid sucked out when I had mine done.
Dealer wanted to pull rear end out. Haha.

Don
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
Dealer wanted to pull rear end out. Haha.

Don
He shouldnt be allowed to do that. BMW dealers have to follow TIS instructions and there it says to suction out the oil. Offical dealers must have all the tools in house to follow TIS instructions.

As for getting the rear fill plug out, I use a special 14mm hex bit.
Not a socket type, but an insert type which I use with a small wrench (9 or 10mm I believe.
Something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14mm-HEX-KEY...-/161031688526
this gives you lots of room as its easily the most compact setup I think.

A normal 14mm hex socket plus 1/4 or 3/8 ratches is usually too long. I also have a normal 14mm hex key (the normal angled style) but even that is too long on the short side.

You also need some sort of pump to fill the diff. I use a large oil syringe (with a piece of hose) for that.

I reuse the plugs and their aluminium seal rings.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=33_1309

According to this, the drain plug comes with a rubber o-ring. I wouldn't chance it. Might work, might leak. Most drain and fill plugs on BMWs are one time use only now. Even OLDER BMWs require that you replace the crush washers (now replaced by rubber o-rings to make the drain and fill plugs lighter) when you change transmission and diff fluid.

And yes you need either a super stubby diff hex key socket, or you have to cut a hex key socket off. There's not enough room in there to put a torque wrench (and yes you need to torque it to a specified "tightness") and a regular sized hex key socket.

Not sure if this is any indication, but the kit as pictured here comes with 2 diff plugs:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...3117512980~kt/

Now, the cover appears to have only one hole (fill hole), so I suspect the drain hole might be on the pumpkin itself.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

I'm wondering what partnumber those plugs are.
On my diff they're certainly without o rings (I had them in my hands today as I'm currently working on my diff) and that partnumber hasnt changed yet since 2003, so you'd think that those parts are still the same now. Usually any change in part (construction, supplier etc, also gets a new number)
I think its a strange construction to use both an o ring and an aluminium crush washer, as the crush washer seals on basis of deformation, which requires imho more torque than o ring pressure can provide. Or that thin outer lip gives te deformation.
On the gearbox the plugs with o ring are used without a crush washer, which makes more sense to me.

As for the aluminium rings (and plugs without the o rings) I've used them (the same ones) at least 5 times and always without leaking (or without the use of a torque wrench), so apparantly I'm doing something right. Pretty fool proof system if you ask me.

If there's a drain hole present, its certainly on the diff housing and not on the back lid.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-22-2016 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 03:03 AM   #8
Lovebandit64
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Roadster

I was just assuming there is a drain hole on my 2008 3.0si due to this post:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79742

Thanks all!!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

So I did some more digging in TIS about those plugs, and TIS has 2 procedures, both the plug with o ring and without o ring are described.
Both have different torque settings (with O ring: 60Nm, without O ring: 65Nm) which is not that strange (and they are pretty similar), but the strange thing is: the one without O ring is mentioned with the aluminium crush washer (which is expected, and they say: change crush washer, also expected), but the plug with O ring is mentioned WITHOUT crush washer! No crush washer is shown or mentioned, and they just say change plug with O ring.
So how does that ECS kit work? It is shown with the plugs with o-rings and also crush washers...
So my conclusion is look at what plugs you have and what state their in. if damaged: replace. Replacing never hurts obviously but isnt always stricktly necessary imho. Maybe the O rings are more age sensitive alhough the plugs with O rings on my gearbox still looked fine (O ring still compliant) and I didnt replace them and there are no leaks.
Be sure when you use the plugs with O rings, to lubricate the o ring with a drop of oil before fitting the plug.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #10
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I did mine many times, just make sure you open the filler first... if it doesn't open and you drained it.. you are SOL
      09-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
My 07 doesn't have a drain plug
      11-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #12
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i