ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #23
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Sorry, but another question regarding the headers... Because the sensor relocation option seems prone to issues (based on reading a LOT of threads here), what about simply unplugging the rear sensors and then swapping the stock headers back in for emissions testing (every 2 years for me)? Could use a tune to get rid of the check engine light, correct? It seems the problem is the "readiness" part. Has anyone tried this? Or do the rear sensors contribute in some way other than smog monitoring that could result in lower performance if they were removed?

Edit: Instead of eliminating them, I could just park them in the Fabspeed header. And if a tune can sort out the readiness problem, great. If not, swap back every two years? Am I missing anything?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

^ I think you pretty much have a handle on things.
It definitely would be a pain to swap headers back in for testing, even if it was 2 yrs.
Also, moving the sensors in & out will likely lead to damaging them.
They have to be handled with care.

I have the fabspeeds going in in a few weeks & my first thought was to just park them there.
I have since reconsidered, & will be going with the DKF section1 replacement.
The GB for them will be starting very soon.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
^ I think you pretty much have a handle on things.
It definitely would be a pain to swap headers back in for testing, even if it was 2 yrs.
Also, moving the sensors in & out will likely lead to damaging them.
They have to be handled with care.

I have the fabspeeds going in in a few weeks & my first thought was to just park them there.
I have since reconsidered, & will be going with the DKF section1 replacement.
The GB for them will be starting very soon.
Agree it would be a pain, but hoping the tune may sort things out Why not try that first before adding the DKF section 1? Or are you concerned about the problems others have been reporting with Evolve? I've found a shop near me that claims to have installed Euro headers with the Evolve tune in a Z4M with no rear sensors and no emissions issues, but I'm still skeptical after everything I've read here. Maybe I'll try to hop on the DKF bandwagon if the price is right... Anyway, good luck with the fabspeeds!

All this thread has really done is make me want both the headers and gear swap!

Also, just found this alternative to the euro cats, although it's not available yet and I'm not sure what it will actually sell for given the difference in "list" and actual price for their headers: http://www.vacmotorsports.com/catalo...-section-1.htm

Last edited by philjw; 03-21-2013 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0