ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Inspection indicator goes down much faster than mileage

Hi,
I got my car over 3 months ago and in that time I had an oil service. They did over fill the motor oil a little bit. I've been meaning to extract the oil out. I've been noticing that my inspection mileage go down much faster than my actual driving at a rate of 2/3 of actual vs inspection mileage indicator.

I'm not driving the car hard....since it's a daily car and just a lot of short distance trips...so what is causing the inspection mileage indicator to go low quicker? Is it the stop and go traffic (motor on/off)...it's no different than driving my 3.0SI or the overfilled oil causing this? I'm not ripping through the gears either...just going between 2 to 5K RPM through the gears. I'm aware of the TSB about the over filled oil...but wasn't sure if it's the 1/2 QT (guess how much oil they actually overfilled) or the stop and go driving or something else causing the mileage indicator to go down so quickly?

O-cha you drive your car hard and had early inspection...is this something I should be concerned about...any ideas what it could be? My car only 16.5K miles now...I've driven 2K miles and inspection mileage has gone down 3K+.

Appreciate the group giving some feedback on this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
The service indicator works off of fuel consumed, so poor mileage whether it's from track driving or city stop and go driving will move your service intervals closer together than if you only drove on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Agreed. I drive my car in Atlanta in stop and go conditions. My indicator started at 15,500 miles and I have driven about 500. Now it says 14,500. I am sure the indicator is accurate if you do a lot of highway driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

Thanks for the feedback... I was a little concern as I just got my car...it's a blast to drive especially with the new strut bar... I don't want to deal with headaches yet. 80% of my driving is city driving recently.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Nothing to worry about. As already indicated, its not based purely on miles. When I got my coupe, I was curious to see when I'd actually have to bring it in for the 2nd scheduled maintenance (the 1st being the post-break-in service). As long as the service indicator is the only OBC indicator you're bringing your car in for, you'll be alright.
      01-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

yeah...i take it to the track regularly and the indicator drops like mad.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 0