ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Question Considering some M5 Reps...

I'm wanting to change my wheels out, and really love the look of the M5 wheels, but I know the OEM offsets are too far out there to be realistic. However, **********s does have some M5 reps that looks pretty decent and I think the offsets can work. For those of you with the patience, feel free to follow along while I think out loud.

the stock Z4M wheel diameters/offsets are as follows:

Front: 18X8 ET 42
Rear: 18X9 ET 30

The M5 replicas on **********s are listed with the following dimensions:

Front: 18X8 ET 35
Rear: 18X9 ET 38

If my math is correct, this would place the edge of the Front wheels 7mm (or approx. 1/4 Inch) further out, which would essentially make it flush with the fender. Not a problem there, flush is always nice.

However, still assuming my math is correct, the Rear wheels would sit 8mm further in, requiring a 15mm spacer (7mm for the front sitting out further + 8mm to compensate for the rear wheel sitting further in) in order to have the rear wheels sit at the same position relatively as the front wheels. This should also make the rear wheel edge flush to the fender, if I am correct.

Does anyone see any problems with this (i.e. potential rubbing, etc?)

If I can get these wheels, I can keep the PSS tires I just got not too long ago, and would also be able to keep the stock M wheels around in case of emergency, which would be nice.

Here is a mockup of what it would look like.

Name:  M5 Wheels New.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  347.4 KB

Last edited by No_Dominion; 09-04-2012 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Remind me what size the PSSs you're running are? Might be worthwhile to go with a wider set of wheels if you're running a 245/275 combo; if not, and you want to go with wider rubber in the future, going with wider wheels now would prep for that. A 245 tire on an 8" wheel isn't optimal (ask me how I know).

IDK if the M5 reps come in wider sizes (and what offsets apply), but I thought I'd bring up the "prepare for the future" consideration just in case.

Depending on the width of the front rubber (and wheel), you might need to run a bit more negative camber to avoid rubbing (camber washers would work). The negative camber would also offset the small change in scrub radius with the more aggressive offset.

Yes, you'll need a spacer with those ETs on the rear. Inner clearance will be decreased by 8mm on the ET38, so a 10mm spacer would probably suffice. Here is an offset calculator that can help a bit.

Last edited by Finnegan; 09-03-2012 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm running stock, 225/255 at the moment.

I've checked with the offset calculator before posting, and it looked good to go, but I figured it prudent to ask here in case someone has tried that setup before and had problems.

Yeah, I was actually just looking at the post mentioned in the Facebook group regarding scrub radius, and ideally I would prefer to keep the ET the same. A little bit more negative camber sounds like a good plan, though if I ever track the car, I'll just put the OEM wheels back on to eliminate any problems.

I suppose my biggest concern is fender clearance during maximum spring compression. I've never ran a car with wheels flush to the fender before, is that going to cause a problem? Considering I've seen a large number of M's on here running flush wheels with stock and even lowered suspension, I'd hazard to guess that it isn't going to be a problem, but better safe than sorry.

Thanks for the good advice, btw.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Seems you'd be fine with the ET35 up front, as long as you're running a bit of negative camber over stock settings. Most running the more aggressive ETs are also running wider (9" or more) wheels and wider tires (245 or even wider). With 8" wheels and stock tires, and a bit more negative camber, I wouldn't think you'd have issues at full spring compression.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Seems you'd be fine with the ET35 up front, as long as you're running a bit of negative camber over stock settings. Most running the more aggressive ETs are also running wider (9" or more) wheels and wider tires (245 or even wider). With 8" wheels and stock tires, I wouldn't think you'd have issues.
Awesome, glad to hear it. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on these wheels some time this month, hopefully it works out well.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #6
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I have 19's so my offsets are a little different. I have 19x8.5 et 35 and 19x9.5 et20

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #7
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasZed4MC View Post
I have 19's so my offsets are a little different. I have 19x8.5 et 35 and 19x9.5 et20
Am I correct in thinking that your front wheel is pretty much flush with the fender with that offset?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

The fronts are under the wheel lips easily, the rears are flush.

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0