ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Silver BMW Z4MR

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
seat belt alarm won't stop

the seat belt alarm won't stop going off when anyone rides with me even though they're buckled up. The dealership wants over $700.00 to fix it. they said they need to order another passenger seat belt assembly.

I know that I can disable the seat belt alarm by pulling the fuse in the glove compartment, but I'm not sure if that would disable anything else too. 5 amp Number 28 if memory serves correctly.

Another option I guess is to open up the instrument panel and remove the speaker all together.

The car is a 2006 3.0i, thanks in advance for an tips or tricks.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

If you find that speaker, let me know where it is; I'd love to disable it. I THINK you'll find it's incorporated into some module.

As for the repair, I'd get a 2nd opinion. Might need only a new plug-in recepticle. I'm GUESSING switch is incorporated therein because I disable my warning simply by plugging in a buckle. Used recepticle might be available also and should be more reasonable.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

I would say only a new recepticle as well as I have run into that issue with other cars. Or maybe a check of the wiring to make sure nothing is frayed or disconnected...
2007 Z4MC, 1" drop H&R Springs, Evolve Tunning, Headers, K&N Filter, RPI scoop, Red top high energy coils, UUC Red Poly mounts (none bolt-through), UUC Lightweight Flywheel with Organic Clutch and a custom exhaust with just one AeroTurbine muffler.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Recode the car to ignore the seat belt warning, of course just for a test.
SBR_BEIFAHRER not_aktiv
SEAT BELT WARNING PASSENGER not active
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

Just had another thought!

Most manufacturers will consider extended warranty (goodwill) replacement of safety items of this nature. Wouldn't hurt to contact bmwusa.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #6
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
I found instructions on how to disable that wretched speaker at the link below. I'll be trying this myself after I go to the hardware store to pickup the correct Torx bits.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=634422
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
latest update: I followed the instructions and it worked! No more annoying Beeping!

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
fairlady_z
Turbo Booster :)
Rep
Drives: 328i

Good for you, saved you $700. Fuck spending $700 at the dealership. That's some bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Great free solution.....though recoding it to ignore the seat belt would have only taken a couple of minutes, of course not everyone has the $15 cable and a laptop.

I wonder what else that buzzer is for, low oil pressure maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #10
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
The 'Seat Belt Tensioner' (right side) is P/N: 72119119540 and is $108.00 at Tischer.

The belt clip socket in the tensioner has a 'Hall Effect' sensor internally so the SRS air bag system knows if the belt is locked in place. These sensors can and do get broken or have enough dirt or debris in them so they don't recognize the belt clip.

These are easily replaced by the owner, you just have to remove the seat.

One down side of this sensor being bad is that if the SRS system senses a person in the seat, but does not sense if the belt is in place, then the air bag may be triggered when it normally would not be...
This is not a safety issue in and by itself, but it could cause more repair costs than you normally would have. An air bad cost more than $700, normally.

Read on how the Crash Severity (CS) rating 0 through 3 determines if and when an air bag is triggered.

http://www.shipkiller.com/Air_Bag_Activation.html
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Sorry am I little late for this, but I bought a chines cd with the USB / ODB connector that allows me to disable those alarms. I actually disabled the feature that beeps when the key in is the ignition and the door is open. I also disable the beeping every time I start the car and my seat belt was not on...freaken annoying.

However, removing the part from behind the board will leave any other warning on MUTE because now you have no speaker. To me it comes in handy when my passenger forgets to put on the seat belt, it beeps if I'm low in fuel, it beeps if my hand break is not all the way down, it beep when you hit certain speed in my case 80mph and I believe it beeps if you car is over heating or oil is low.... AAAhhh it also beeps to let you know the temp is below 37 degrees... so it could be some what helpful.

The chines software that I mention is actually a bott-leg copy of P.A soft - which to me is worth well over $200 and I feel bad saying this now.... but I didn't know what it was until I installed it.

I also disable and enable a bunch of other things with this software.

Don't break your car and get this software or something similar and disable them instead.

Jeff.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #12
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Great free solution.....though recoding it to ignore the seat belt would have only taken a couple of minutes, of course not everyone has the $15 cable and a laptop.
OK I'm intrigued - I have contributed several posts to threads similar to these... I normaly wear my seat belt but I have several situations where I really don't need to. The very first is that my driveway is nearly 1000 feet long - when I stop to get my mail I really shouldn't need to fasten my seat belt to drive up to and into my garage. And so on... I don't wan't to hijack this thread into a "you should wear your seat belt - it only takes a few seconds" or "don't you value your safety" or 1 of the many other threads posted here or on one of the other popular sites about the value of wearing your seat belt.
How does ANYONE disable the alarm without compromising the integrity of the overall system, ESPECIALLY with a $15 cable and a laptop?? Pungo??? I have yet to get a straight answer on that question....

Last edited by jrich4411; 10-21-2012 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #13
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Really

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich4411 View Post
OK I'm intrigued - I have contributed several posts to threads similar to these... I normaly wear my seat belt but I have several situations where I really don't need to. The very first is that my driveway is nearly 1000 feet long - when I stop to get my mail I really shouldn't need to fasten my seat belt to drive up to and into my garage. And so on... I don't wan't to hijack this thread into a "you should wear your seat belt - it only takes a few seconds" or "don't you value your safety" or 1 of the many other threads posted here or on one of the other popular sites about the value of wearing your seat belt.
How does ANYONE disable the alarm without compromising the integrity of the overall system, ESPECIALLY with a $15 cable and a laptop?? Pungo??? I have yet to get a straight answer on that question....
You really shouldn't jump to the conclusion that I don't wear my seat belt. I never drive on public roads without my seat belt on and I don't recommend anyone drive without their seat belt on. I too have a long driveway and will pick up the mail and not put the belt on when coming down my driveway. Also sometimes, a passenger will disconnect the belt so they can reach into the back to get something, say drink out of the cooler and I really don't want to hear that damn chime.

The OP removed the buzzer completely, so I was just saying, if you are going to go through all that trouble, why not just recode it, you can do it per seat, which theirs was the passenger seat. My solution was the easiest and best solution aside from replacing the defective part.

So you think that disabling the alarm is "compromising the integrity of the overall system". NOT, it only effects the buzzer and has nothing to do with the rest of the system. Oh, that $15 cable and laptop along with the engineering s/w is equal to the same thing the engineers at BMW use to code, troubleshoot and diagnose their product during the development process. Enjoy listening to that buzzer going down your driveway....
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffchaPz View Post
Don't break your car and get this software or something similar and disable them instead.
Agree 100%. Anyone have this software set up in the bay area? I would also like to disable my seat belt chime.

In my case, I never drive without my seatbelt, not even 10 feet. I'm so used to wearing my seat belt it feels wrong to move the car without it on.

What annoys me to no end that the belt is beeping at me when I start my car. I hate that I have to either put up with it or put on my seatbelt first.
      10-24-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
JeffchaPz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Agree 100%. Anyone have this software set up in the bay area? I would also like to disable my seat belt chime.

In my case, I never drive without my seatbelt, not even 10 feet. I'm so used to wearing my seat belt it feels wrong to move the car without it on.

What annoys me to no end that the belt is beeping at me when I start my car. I hate that I have to either put up with it or put on my seatbelt first.

Beta - I felt the same as you and that's why I got the software.

Try this link and start on post # 24 - feel free to PM me if you need further assistance.
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604828

Jeff.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
spurto
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4MR  [0.00]
In hindsight I'll concede that coding the system via software would have been a more elegant solution. However, I am happy with the results and wish I would have done something earlier.

First, Let me just say that I always wear my seat belt, but I normally climb in and start the car before I buckle up. So it's nice to no longer hear the buzzer. Plus All the warning lights on the dash still work so I still have a visual indication if anything is going wrong with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #17
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffchaPz View Post

Check your email. Got an answer for you.
Appreciate 0