ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-18-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
E92Driver
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 3.0i & 2007 335i coupe

Tapping Sound from Dash Area on Startup

2006 3.0i roadster - Here's a new one...at the very instant the engine is starting up, there comes a soft tapping sound (two or three quick taps and then it stops; sounds like tapping your fingers lightly on the top of an empty cardboard box). It sounds like it is coming from the area directly in back of the ash tray and is not easy to hear because of the sound of the engine starting.

The radio is not on when this happens and there are no other sounds or issues I can detect.

Anybody have any ideas what this might be?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 03:49 AM   #2
OH FO SHO
Captain
Rep
Drives: z4

Mine does the exact same thing. Everytime i start it up, a knocking sound coming from the dash kinda behind the center vents. Im taking my car in for an oil change on thursday, ill let you know what the dealer says.

-*MY PICTURE THREAD*-
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
It could be one of the hydraulic lifters. On the N52, I understand that some of the rearward lifters are starved of oil and can get air into them, causing the audible tapping you describe. I hear it's more pronounced in the cold, like morning startup.
      08-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
E92Driver
Rep

Doesn't sound like it's from the engine

The sound I describe literally sounds like it's coming from only a few inches behind the dash area.

I know the ticking you refer to...I've already had the dealer perform the "bleeding" procedure for that. Not sure how that constitutes fixing the problem, but that's a separate topic.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wonder if it's the HVAC system, if it's in the dash, I can't think of anything else that has moving parts that close to the dash, and it's not the navigation DVD spinning up.
      08-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

tapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Driver View Post
2006 3.0i roadster - Here's a new one...at the very instant the engine is starting up, there comes a soft tapping sound (two or three quick taps and then it stops; sounds like tapping your fingers lightly on the top of an empty cardboard box). It sounds like it is coming from the area directly in back of the ash tray and is not easy to hear because of the sound of the engine starting.

The radio is not on when this happens and there are no other sounds or issues I can detect.

Anybody have any ideas what this might be?
old issue they have a service bulletin about it. It is your ousdie air damper which resets when you start the car. I am bringing in my new z43.0si on monday to have it fixed. They had to fix it twice in my last 2006 z43.0 before they got it correct. Why it is not a recall i do not know but i found out with my other car it that they fixed it under warranty and was told they had a service bulletin on how to fix the problem. I almost died when it started to do it in this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #7
gearl
Love My Car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0I

tapping sound update

BMW had my car for three days to repair the tapping from the dash. They told me the wiring harness had to be rerouted as it was laying in the gears that operate the ac dampers. I have a theory on this the previous z4 that i owned and the current one i own had the exact same problem and the common thing that they both had done at the dealership was the installation of the Ipod adapter. The wire is routed through this exact area which makes me think when they are trying to fish that wire in there they may be causing the problem. In addition the Ipod wire is about six feet long when it only needs to be about two feet. Just curious if the others here who are having this issue also have a Ipod adpater installed?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #8
E92Driver
Rep

No Ipod Adapter in My Car

Thanks for the responses. I don't have an Ipod adapter in my car. Although the tapping is a little annoying, I'm waiting for the car to need some other service before I bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Z4Kevo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Hey guys...sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I am curious since this sound is suspicuously like mine recently.

I started having a tapping sound (series of 3 to 4 quick taps) come from my dash area. It is quite startling when it happens as you would swear someone is tapping on one of the windows to get your attention. I couldn't help looking around to see who was outside the car tapping...until it started repeating itself. Only happens on cold startup though...never after it has already warmed up.

Having it looked at on my next maintenance visit.

2007 BMW Z4M Coupe | Sapphire Black | 19" ZCP Wheels | Michelin PSS - 245/285 | Carbon Leather
Black Corners | UUC Short Shifter | ///M Racing Pedals | OE Strut Brace | LED Accents | PEMP Android
Appreciate 0