ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > Canada
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 z4 M coupe

owning a bmw used to be special... and an m even more...

You can now get a 1 2 3 4 5 6 7... probably an 8 9 10 coming in the near future. Every bmw now looks like an m car...... kind of a turn off....

And the m cars are starting to look like normal bmw's.....

Just venting...

H&R Coilovers, BBS LM-R 19's, K&N Drop Filter.
SS step headers, race cats, x pipe, sport mufflers
Brembo BBK Yellow
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

That is exactly why I am trying to get rid of my car right now. Looking into Lotus elise.

The otherday, I've spotted a 435 on my townhouse. It was covered in M emblems, that's when I decided. lol
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Resale for the Lotus will be rough from what I've read from previous owners.

BMW still has nice cars. Just have to come to grips that they are not as special as they used to be. Welcome to the world of cheap credit. Everyone has a BMW and virtually every BMW has an M on it. Audi and Mercedes are doing the same thing with their brand as well.

Personally I don't have interest in any of the newer BMW's. Too heavy and too common. Don't like that I can't get an M car in non-turbo, if Porsche can do it why can't BMW?

The Z4M is probably my last BMW for a while. Starting to like the VW Beetle (Porsche Turbo/GT3) but price is a little too steep for what I would want to spend on a car. So I will keep my little Z4 for now, it is still very unique and fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #4
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

Not a big fan of the lotus family... but as long as u like it bro. I'll keep my shitbrown and am currently waiting to see the gt3 as well... was considering to wait for the gtr nismo as well.

No doubt bmw has nice cars and nice designs... just so common now.

One thing I cant stand is when I see a 1 series on thw road. Fugly... and most of the young kids driving them actually think they are driving a fast sports car hahah.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower1226 View Post
The otherday, I've spotted a 435 on my townhouse. It was covered in M emblems, that's when I decided. lol
You could have decided that over 25 years ago... with the introduction of the bmw e28 m535i

This is just history repeating and a vintage bmw strategy. Really nothing new here...

I think it's better to judge a car as the product itself and not be influenced by badges. That's just a piece of plastic and only really important for people who want to show others what they drive (as in showing noobs, a real bmw enthusiast immediately spots differences between models regardless of badges)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 01-02-2014 at 06:52 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2014, 05:16 AM   #6
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
THATS why you want to keep your M-COupes - look like nothing else on the road today made by anyone including BMW and people will still stop and ask what it is - If the roundels weren't on it they would never know and it still goes like stink
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
You could have decided that over 25 years ago... with the introduction of the bmw e28 m535i

This is just history repeating and a vintage bmw strategy. Really nothing new here...

I think it's better to judge a car as the product itself and not be influenced by badges. That's just a piece of plastic and only really important for people who want to show others what they drive (as in showing noobs, a real bmw enthusiast immediately spots differences between models regardless of badges)
+1. A true enthusiast will recognize and apperciate a proper and unique m car. Drive and enjoy the car for yourself, and dont let the plathora of badges and "M packages" steer you away.

btw, a mercedes "amg package" is available on every mercedes and looks almost identical to an amg model for $2200 dollar package...people are still rolling in 63 models for a reason.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

Yep thats why u avoid the c class

H&R Coilovers, BBS LM-R 19's, K&N Drop Filter.
SS step headers, race cats, x pipe, sport mufflers
Brembo BBK Yellow
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
nekky
Wagon life
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 328d M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by shitbrownMcoupe View Post
Yep thats why u avoid the c class
When you're ready to sell your parts, let me know I've had my eye on your yellow Brembos and your full SuperSprint for while... HEHEHE
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
wolfman1807
Clueless
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG sport/premium

Quote:
You can now get a 1 2 3 4 5 6 7... probably an 8 9 10 coming in the near future. Every bmw now looks like an m car...... kind of a turn off....

And the m cars are starting to look like normal bmw's.....

Just venting...
Is it all about status?
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #11
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

More about an enthusiast division being watered down so that the masses can say they have an //M
Status comes in to play when you buy a certain brand to keep up with the Jones's not because you buy it for the performance it affords you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman1807 View Post
Is it all about status?
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #12
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

Just an example....someone on my instagram posted his new car. Its a 2013 335 m sport. He is refering to it as an "m car". Im happy for the guy, and glad he is happy with his buy, but kind of want to burst his bbble and tell him its not what he thinks it is. In his defence, there are 15 "M badges" pasted all over it. Lol
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #13
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I guess then that I'm somewhat delighted that my 3.0si has no M badges on it, save for the little one on the center spoke of the M steering wheel I put on the car last year. And that one is inside - nothing on the exterior.

And hey - some love for the C Class! My wife has one and while some places get winter, in Canada we get it with a capital W and where I live, we get it with a capital GD will it ever end - OMG its snowing Again - WINTER. And the 4matic C Class just motors through it.

But I should put an ///M badge on my snow blower. Believe me - this year, its earned it!

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #14
msh441
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Why base your ownership experience on what other models BMW manufactures, or who's buying them?

BMW will do whatever they need to to keep the lights on. When they do crank out an M car (not just a car with M-Sport accessories), it remains special... and enthusiasts recognize it as such. I'd agree that there is some confusion, and a lot of overlap, in the current model offerings. But how does that actually affect the 7-year-old car you are choosing to drive today?

If your looking for a marquis that only does purist models, your going to be looking for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
wolfman1807
Clueless
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i SMG sport/premium

I not having a "M" car kinda makes me feel a little less special. Its kinda like the non-m cars on here are somewhat looked down upon, but not everyone can afford the top of the line. We buy what we can for the love of the car, not the status or prestige that goes with it. Not hackin on anyone, maybe just venting a little. Peace,,,
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Corvette FTW

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #17
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

Bmw created m for the clients that wanted more than a dd..... something more unique... bmw is now moving the bar much higher in regular bmws.... and the m arent as attractive anymore because the regular bmws are looking more attractive....
Thats one thing that turned me away from getting the m5 and getting the cls 63 with pp. The regular 5 series with a sport kit looks just as good as a m5........ plus the m5 was about 5 percent off... while the cls I got 10+% off...... back then seeing a m5 on the road would make u look twice and u could tell it was an m....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:09 PM   #18
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

Point is not about having an m or not.... point is that bmw is making the m and non m harder to differentiate and I and probably only I are turning away from the m because it no longer feels special to own a m... thats me... as I said I was venting.

Maybe other previous m owners still love the new m coming out..... I have gone elsewhere... this m coupe is mu final m.... if I do get another car for the family... I'll just save the money and get a regular bmw..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #19
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

This m coupe to me personally... is the last true m.... simple technology.... manual.... rough....NA......
Difficult to replace or find.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #20
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh441 View Post
Why base your ownership experience on what other models BMW manufactures, or who's buying them?

BMW will do whatever they need to to keep the lights on. When they do crank out an M car (not just a car with M-Sport accessories), it remains special... and enthusiasts recognize it as such. I'd agree that there is some confusion, and a lot of overlap, in the current model offerings. But how does that actually affect the 7-year-old car you are choosing to drive today?

If your looking for a marquis that only does purist models, your going to be looking for a long time.
Last year when I was looking for a sporty family car.... was very excited to see the m5... seeing it in person however was a disappointment with the overall appearance..... performance is not an issue.... a panamera gts or e63 or cls 63 or m5.... they are all straightline cars that can give instant power but mostly for cruising... so didnt care for who could get to the line faster nor could brake faster...... the m5 interior had nothing special over the regular 5 series... plus such a small discount for the car.... autotrader as a 2012 or 2013 m5 for sale.... I think it was asking 79k cad..... new is 110000k before takes??... thats how popular the m5 is I guess.

Porsche has gone to the masses with the cayenne panamera and macan... and these lines have saved the business and made them actually profitable..... but its good they make some to keep true enthusiasts happy.... gt3 rs... 4.0.....

Bmw doesn't have that approach anymore.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #21
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
but its good they make some to keep true enthusiasts happy.... gt3 rs... 4.0.....

Bmw doesn't have that approach anymore.
I dont agree 100%

Not very long ago bmw had the 1m. That was an instant classic (you can see that on current prices: 1m is way more expensive used than a similar year/mileage m3 but the m3 was more when new).
Also you don't know what the next m3 will be (it will be awesome, and probably a tuners dream). I'm also guessing that there will be a m2.

Where brands as Mercedes and audi have cars that are in origin (and layout) an FWD car (A class and A3/S3/RS3) BMW still has a true RWD car in that class (1 series/2 series)

Mercedes may have a faster A class (as in more power), the (competing) m235i is a more refined drivers car.
Audi and mercedes always have been more associated with large engines (C65amg anyone ) but BMW isn't all about raw power. It's about refinement and engineering finesse.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2014, 12:39 AM   #22
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^ Well said. My friend has a 1M. Great car. I have first dibs if he ever sells. That is the car I always wanted my E92 M3 to be. Such a joy to drive, nimble, light, responsive, quick, and fun! Interior in alcantera. Special. Unique. Driver's car. Not NA, but has its own turbo charm.

If the 1M type / approach continues with new smaller lighter M cars, plus carbon fiber, there's plenty of special and reason to hope for great things ahead.
Appreciate 0